Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Yesterday my wife and I went to our local IKEA store. I found the following:

IKEA TERESIA Sheer curtains, 1 pair, white
IKEA number 502.323.33
Width 145 cm (57")
Length 300 cm (118")
Cost £9.00

The curtains are sheer white, with very fine mesh.

I'm interested in using projectors with AtmosFX Digital Decorations both inside (windows and doorways) and outside and I was wondering if people here had used the IKEA TERESIA curtains for projecting images inside and outside, and if you have what you thought of them?

BTW, I haven't got any projectors yet, so I'm unable to test them yet.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used a frosted shower curtain liner as a rear projection screen (obtained from Walmart). It was a big hit last year. I also used the Atmos FX Ghostly Apparitions DVD. I built a frame out of 1X4 boards and attached the curtain with staples. I used a heat gun to shrink the curtain and remove the wrinkles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dtstill and annamarykahn,

Many thanks for your replies.

I normally use a cemetery display in my front garden and this coming year was thinking of having the Atmos FX Bone Chillers (Gathering Ghouls) projected onto an invisible screen as a 'holographic' illusion. The screen would need a frame which is likely to be a suitably decorated garden arch.

I also want to experiment with a window projection display (probably another Atmos FX Bone Chillers but a different one for diversity). The frosted shower curtain liner as a rear projection screen sounds a good idea and your method of fixing it via staples and then using a heat gun (or I guess a hair dryer) to remove the wrinkles is great advice.

I was wondering if the IKEA Teresia curtains would be suitable for one or other or both projections. I had a look at the Atmos FX support page and for a holographic illusion they recommend a tight mesh which is see-through - which the IKEA Teresia curtains are. I understand what you say about grey, however of of the materials that is recommended is "Bridal mesh" which is normally white.

To sum up, I think that the IKEA Teresia curtains may be suitable for Atmos FX style 'holographic' illusions both inside and outside. However I don't know how effective they'd be for projecting onto for a window display. The frosted shower curtain may be better. Unfortunately I don't have a projector at the moment (that's my next step) so I can't experiment to try.

Once again, many thanks for your help. If anybody else has used the IKEA Teresia curtains then please let me know what you thought about them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
just another idea to throw in here....(i am from the uk so you may have to interpret!!)
for my window rear projection i used some cheap (the cheaper the better) ground weed control fabric (the stuff you put under gravel etc to stop weeds growing through). the cheaper stuff is thinner.
it worked a treat and only cost £1 a roll

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've used the mesh curtains before, albeit not the ikea ones, not great to be honest!
I got far better results using a really cheap 'creepy table cloth' - it was £1 from Poundland! The ones with bloody handprints and blood splatter on it. I put it in a door frame at the top of the stairs, as mentioned before, make sure it is really taut.
Looked good in the light and better with the projector going - pic is before i calibrated the projector, but you get the idea. Also, the projector was one of those cheap chinese 'mini' projectors from ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just another idea to throw in here....(i am from the uk so you may have to interpret!!)
for my window rear projection i used some cheap (the cheaper the better) ground weed control fabric (the stuff you put under gravel etc to stop weeds growing through). the cheaper stuff is thinner.
it worked a treat and only cost £1 a roll
Hi dazgill, thanks for the idea of using ground weed control fabric - that's a great idea. By the way, I am from the UK as well. :D

I've used the mesh curtains before, albeit not the ikea ones, not great to be honest!
I got far better results using a really cheap 'creepy table cloth' - it was £1 from Poundland! The ones with bloody handprints and blood splatter on it. I put it in a door frame at the top of the stairs, as mentioned before, make sure it is really taut.
Looked good in the light and better with the projector going - pic is before i calibrated the projector, but you get the idea. Also, the projector was one of those cheap chinese 'mini' projectors from ebay.
Hi EPD, thanks for the idea of a table cloth and for those pictures as they look good.

Unfortunately I don't have a projector yet. I need to bite the bullet, get a reasonable projector, and experiment with the projector's settings and materials. I've started a thread asking for advice for recommendations for a projector to be obtained in the UK.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also wanting to use an "invisable" screen for a holousion display. I bought something called micromesh at a local fabric store. It was about $3.50 per yard and I bought 3 yards of the white and it's 56" wide. It seems to work very well inside and I plan to try it out in the front yard one night soon. I just got a new projector and will be checking it out over the weekend. I'll let you know how it does.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've gotten good results from the Walmart shower curtain as well. i found the pattern it has on it really brings out the light form the projector and it seem to disappear fairly well when there's no light on it. but i'm still looking for something better. going to be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm still in the process of looking so if i find anything ill post it here. not sure how things work with amazon in the UK but i just got one for under $200 here in the us. its not the best when it comes to watching HD movies but it seems to be working really well for a Halloween projector. I'm still tinkering with it but i recommend it. its one of the best ones I've found for the money.

just looked up those curtains and they do look promising. i might just pick those up and test them out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i just found a set on amazon that is super cheap and looks like might just work real nice. there not as big as the ikea ones but pretty close.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would not say that "bridal mesh" means white. It is another name for "chiffon". Poly chiffons are cheap and I use a basic grey color. (Satin chiffon is expensive and generally opaque, so stay away from those.)

Here is a picture of my screened in porch tuned mausoleum front with a chiffon screen for rear projections. It is the grey color. I think white would be way too obvious, especially during the daytime.

12105704_1055844184427330_5942414042719316849_n.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
My material of choice for standard projection effects is a flat white vinyl shower curtain liner (not frosted).

For hologram-type illusions I've experimented with black, grey and white chiffon and found the grey to be best. Black only produces a decent result when viewed head-on, the image fades away the more your angle of vision increases. White was ok but gave a very "milky" effect, as if the room was filled with a white haze. The "Hollusion" material sold by Atmosfear FX gives an excellent result but is far more expensive than any other option and I personally can't tell the difference between it and grey chiffon. The cheapest option I know of is grey tulle. Not as good as chiffon but not all that bad, either. Definitely worth considering if price is the biggest issue.

If I ever decide to attempt an outdoor hologram illusion, the first material I'll try is mosquito netting. There is a company that actually markets their material as suitable for this purpose. The main advantage is that it can be had in large pieces that could cover a sizeable area without having to sew smaller sections together. A single piece 10-ft tall by 10-ft wide would run about $55. Here's the link: https://www.mosquitocurtains.com/1-...rch/Halloween-Projection-Screen-Material.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts