Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After obsessing, planning, and working on Halloween for months...I'm started to get annoyed with it. The time for dreaming and pinning and planning is long over and the actual WORK is making demands of every spare minute of my time. My house is falling apart, laundry and dishes are piling up, all so I can get some Halloween projects accomplished. I'm completely stressed out, trying to think how I can cram a month's worth of Halloween work into (what?) 19 days now. I'm starting to fantasize about life after Halloween, and about scaling back next year. I think I must be reaching my saturation point. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
"I'm completely stressed out, trying to think how I can cram a month's worth of Halloween work into (what?) 19 days now." As they say on Mythbusters... "Well, there's your problem!" :) You sound a lot like my two sons, who have great ideas about what they want to do for Halloween, but are always getting distracted by other things until Oct 1 rolls around. Then they try to crams several months worth of planning and work into 30 days.

I've been working on seven new projects for Halloween, but I started them back in June, and the last I hoped to have completed last week but I decided to order some stuff that won't come in until the 21st, so I got to take a whole week off and relax.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel your pain. Last night I wanted to be lazy after work and veg on the couch. So I did. But I felt guilty for not being in the garage working on my Halloween stuff. Then I remembered last year how it SNOWED and I barely had anyone come by to see my effort. So I figure what gets done will get done and I am just going to enjoy it...

·
Registered
475 Posts
My typical day now.
Wake up: "Man I can't wait to work on my projects"
Working on Life's Priorities: " I need to get this done so I can work on projects"
Working on project: "Why Why Why did I wait so long! I am never going to get this all done!"
At night:" Eh I got alot done." Smile and remember, "No matter how much is done on halloween I will still have more then most."

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,390 Posts
When what you love becomes an annoyance, you need to step back and take a break. If you have to scale back do so--I'd much rather see a smaller display than none at all. :D

I'm only decorating inside this year but am already making plans for an outside display and cemetery for 2016. So I have several projects to do and will be starting them after Halloween if not before.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Yes, I most definitely understand what you are saying! I've always said if it ever feels like work or makes me stressed out I will stop. And that's why next year I will be taking a break from Halloween! I've already told my husband and daughter so they know not to let me get started next summer and end up worse off than I am right now. One day last week, I seriously contemplated going out after dark and taking down everything I'd already put out, packing it up and cancelling the whole thing. But then my daughter came home for the weekend and we had fun working on some things and it felt better again. And since this year it's on Saturday, I know there will be a ton of kids coming and I hate the idea of not being a part of it. But next year is a Monday and I think that would be a good year to skip.
Sometimes we focus too much on trying to outdo ourselves, or we work too long on the same project and get tired of it, or sometimes life itself can just be too stressful and there's just no room left to enjoy what normally love. I'm in that last group this year. We've had some very rough "real life" stuff to deal with this year and it all came to a head in August. Up until then I was enjoying planning and couldn't wait to get started. Now it just all feels like one more thing to deal with.
So, yes, I get it! I'm there with ya! I'm just going through the motions but not really enjoying what I normally love most.
I say give yourself permission to do only what you really want to do at this point. No guilt and no regrets. Just try to find some joy in these next two weeks. Life is too short, ya know?

·
Registered
460 Posts
A break from Halloween? I don't think I could survive that!

I always reach a saturation point, which I think generally comes when I'm midway through the work. Then it goes away and comes back in little aftershocks. But as I mentioned elsewhere, this also seems to happen whenever I do a big art project. So I try to take a break or push through it, whichever seems best.

This year is going smoothly, because I reached my breaking point well before October. Then I decided to just get what small things I can done this year, and plan something bigger for next year. I still have a lot I want to do, but it's much more relaxing now. And since I promised myself that if I don't feel like doing anything else, I don't have to - well, there is no extra pressure to make the work harder.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I hear what you're saying and am right there with you for a few reasons--my getting a late start on yard props for one, and some lukewarm RSVP action on our party.

I got a very late start on some original yard props, then had to call an audible on the big one because I screwed it up. It's OK, but it took up WAY too much time and I misjudged the amount of work. So it's been more of a burden than fun, truth be told.

And our party responses have been tepid, which is a little disappointing. Doing it on 24 Oct, the week before, to accommodate everyone with kids and such and it seems as if it's just bad circumstances for too many people. We've had 50 people before, and we'll probably have 20. And I'm dealing with the usual mushy middle of "maybes" and non-committal people which pisses me off.

So we may also take a raincheck next year and regroup, huddle up, take a year off and then charge back. May not be a bad idea. I keep thinking I'm crazy going through ALL this work for one night. And it's a night I can barely enjoy myself.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Oh my YES! Every year, I end up half way through October feeling the pressure, panic, and the "why did I do this" feeling. I get burned out to the point that Christmas takes a back seat and the neighbors must think we're pagans. Ha! It's cyclical and passes with time, but I wouldn't change a thing. My props get better and we get more fanfare every year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been working on stuff since last November. You can't leave it all until a month before Halloween. Do a little here and little there and take a break every now and then. I didn't do a single project for about 4 months.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Yup feeling the same way, and we are ahead of our progress over last year. I just can't help it, thank gawd for my spread sheet to help me keep track of everything! My issue has been waking up at 4:00 AM and then I start thinking about Halloween stuff to do, of course I can't get back to sleep. Happened again last night, today I am exhausted.....we worked entire long weekend on Halloween stuff.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I only get frustrated when something doesn't work as planned, or works great for weeks before, only to break the day before Halloween...oh, and very frustrated/annoyed after doing all the hard work and only getting 15 TOTs...

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Another thing that is getting in my way this year is the weather. It's still so stinking hot! We got a short reprieve at the beginning of the month but now we're back to afternoons in the 90s! I tend to have very little patience when I have sweat running into my eyes so things that I would normally have done by now are just ignored. Nope, not making myself miserable if I don't have to.
I really think I could conquer the Halloween world if I just had a week of 60 degree days. Ninety-six degrees? Nope. I'm going back inside.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,258 Posts
HAHAHA!!! me too. Only ourselves and the other members here are the ones who really care if I forgot to paint an edge black on one of my crosses!!

Because of the time crunch and being such a procrastinator, I've adopted a new motto for when a project doesn't turn out as I planned. I just tell myself, "Good Enough!". Then I move on to the next project. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts