Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice that candy prices went up? I went to a bunch of stores to buy candy and I cannot believe how much they are charging everywhere!!! :p

·
Registered
553 Posts
Same here for me as last year; it was big news about 2 or 3 years ago that the price of candy was on the rise and I noticed a big cost change then.

Lots of lost corn last year has caused lots of cost increases in food production including meat (corn in the feed) and sweets which use corn syrup instead of sugar.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tomorrow Kroger is having thier candy sale, $1.78 a bag, but on the kit katz and reese's they have a coupon for $2.00 off when you buy 3. I hit this every year.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Prices have been creeping up and what else is bad is that there isn't as much candy in the bags as there used to be. I can't really afford to make the treat bags anymore.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
I don't give candy any more. I figured if I just spent between $500-$1000 building them a free haunted attraction they don't need candy. So far no one has complained. One exception...I have a small bowl of candy and goodies for the little ones who cannot come in because it might be too intense.

This year, however, I am serving beer and soft drinks in my tavern. The keg will cost about what I use to spend on candy. LOL.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I buy mostly dollar store candy for treat bag filler, and put one piece of "good stuff" in with it. This year I have candy bone packs, knock-off pop rocks, sour taffy, and Charms mini pops. I'm putting feelers out for friends with Sams cards, to see if they can get me the 277 piece box of "good stuff" for $20, but no bites yet.

I've been pricing sale candy in the meantime, with this site (you can choose your area and "Halloween sales" specifically): http://decatur.findnsave.com/

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
While this seems to happen every year, I saw a news story this past month or so, maybe on a financial news channel I'm thinking, talking about how chocolate prices were going to go up and likely affect stock prices of related companies. They gave two reasons for this. One was that the cacoa beans are 70% or close to that grown in an area in Africa which has been experiencing a drought so affecting the crop adversely. Second, the fact that so many more people are eating dark chocolate and chocolate companies are producing more, has also affected the market. Apparently it takes something like two to three times the amount of cacoa beans to produce the darker chocolate compared to milk chocolate and therefore creates a greater demand on a item that is already under stress from production.

Never knew my watching CNBC could come in handy here! Although I've seen some interesting stories done on how TJMaxx/Home Good stores, Pier One, Dollar Tree and 99Cent Only Stores are doing, all halloween shoppers favorites!

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
I must be in a small pocket of the world, because my wife and I just picked a couple bags to start building our ToT stock and the prices were what they were for the last couple of years.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've been going for the buy one get one free bags at Publix but the bags are small! I buy candy for my party, TOT's and a bowl for our office lobby. I will be poor on November 1st.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
Just dropped about $120 on 12 boxes of full sized candy bars at Target. Picked up a few Fun Size packages, too, for the small TOT's.
Full sized bars!? Man, I'm coming to your place on Halloween!
We give out the fun sized bars to everyone. I've casually checked prices over the past couple weeks and they're in line with last year. We'll start buying this coming week, as we need about 600 bars. I don't know, my thought is that it's once a year so I don't complain about the price, kind of like real pumpkins, Christmas trees, etc.. It's about the tradition.

·
The Squirrel Whisperer
1,157 Posts
Full sized bars!? Man, I'm coming to your place on Halloween!
We give out the fun sized bars to everyone. I've casually checked prices over the past couple weeks and they're in line with last year. We'll start buying this coming week, as we need about 600 bars. I don't know, my thought is that it's once a year so I don't complain about the price, kind of like real pumpkins, Christmas trees, etc.. It's about the tradition.
Well, we only get about 200-250 TOT's per year. I don't think we could afford full sized if we got the 600 like you do. The full sized bars seem to be pretty close to last years pricing.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
We always take a trip across the border in the Fall ( Washington/Oregon ), was really surprised not only in the price hike of candy but end of September and nobody had much of anything for Halloween :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts