Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were doing a Giant Spider diorama for a corner of the front yard this year. I have an 8'x8' web that will glow under UV, two child sized "victims" hanging upside down bound up in cocoons (cellophane) at either end of the web frame and a basketball-sized "egg sac" also suspended from the frame. The spider itself is nearing completion, will be6' across, 30" high, covered in hair and will feature a human head with a spider-like mandible. I'm also giving it antennae ( I know, I know, spiders don't have antennae) but theydontget 6' across, either.
I just have this nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something critical... I could stick an IPod inside one of the victims playing the "Help me, Help me" track from The Fly, but how irritating to hear THAT all night. Possibly I could retro-fit a shiatsu motor in a victim so it appears to be struggling...
So, I'm reaching out here...any suggestions?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I did a spider scene last year for the first time and it was a hit. I used beef netting for the webs and I love, love, love it!

The beef netting also makes it very easy to make the cocoons because it comes in a tube to begin with (like a sock). You have to cut it down one side to get it "flat". Google beef netting spider web or just look around here for more information.

I had a hanging zombie prop already that had some wiggle to it. So I just slipped the netting around him and left his head out. People loved it. (I wish he had more motion though).

My giant spider is a stuffed 36 inch one so it hung nicely from my tree. I didn't go for mega spider like you are. I also rear projected a video of tiny spiders crawling all over the beef netting. Added a nice effect. I'm on mobile now but will see if I can find the video later if you want it. My projector was a little bit too dim (another thing to fix this year).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I made my giant "skeleton" spiders by using 5' skeletons, several additional pairs of Bucky skeleton arms and cotton webbing (see attached photos). These were thrown together rather quickly as “temporary” props but I have used them for the past couple of years. If you are looking for more traditional spiders check out Stolloween’s tutorial (http://www.stolloween.com/?page_id=36)

Attachments

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
I did one for a couple of years. Mine was just a foam block carved and painted for the body and dowel rods for the legs. We did lots of smaller spiders hanging around it, a corpsed skeleton webbed up as a victim, a large egg cluster, and a few cocooned small animals like fake crows and rats. I used branches to make an artificial tree for it all since our yard has no trees.

DSCN8071.jpg

DSCN7284.jpg

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang, OLC, your display is amazing! The "victim", very cool. Looks like you used a web-shooter, is that correct?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I made my giant "skeleton" spiders by using 5' skeletons, several additional pairs of Bucky skeleton arms and cotton webbing (see attached photos). These were thrown together rather quickly as “temporary” props but I have used them for the past couple of years. If you are looking for more traditional spiders check out Stolloween’s tutorial (http://www.stolloween.com/?page_id=36)
Wow!! This is super cool! Love the idea?

·
Registered
482 Posts
One thing I've found that makes these scenes scarier besides the projected movement that people mentioned here already is volume and variety of spiders. Consider picking up one or two of those spirit jumping spiders to add effects at the ground level where people aren't necessarily looking. Or add a bunch of smaller (relatively) spiders to your display around the egg sacs. Gross baby spiders pouring out and onto the ground is pretty terrifying.

If you want to make a bunch of cheap egg sacs and don't have beef netting, just use white pantyhose and fill with cotton batting. Hot glue some spiders to it. DONE!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I did a spider scene last year for the first time and it was a hit. I used beef netting for the webs and I love, love, love it!
I have been struggling to figure out how to put up spiderwebs in a house where we have a person with arachnophobia... to the extreme. The one option that seems to not cause any distress is the use of the beef netting. For quite some time I have tried to figure out exactly what was being used, and thanks to your post I now know. Wahooo.... I gets to put me up some spiderwebs this year. hahaha

·
Registered
37 Posts
I plan to pipe a small 1/4' water line connected to a mister in the mouth of my spider this year. Connect it to a motion sensor next to the front door. I am building many many of these right now, different sizes and kinds, to cover the house like the cave in Lord Of The Rings.

IMG_0080.jpg

I molded the thorax out of clay and cast it in paster.

IMG_1961.jpg

Used spray foam to create may thorax. Used the same process for the abdomen but cast a 12" filled ballon. Cut that cast 1/2 and filled each with spray foam and let cure. Then just spray foam them together for a complete body. BTW- I embedded PVC in the casting when I filled with stay foam so they would be secured in the body. Worked pretty well. Be sure to have weep holes for foam pressure to release.

Use a heat gun and vice to manipulate PVC for legs to look real. I also, on a diff spider, learned a lesson in that I now take the PVC 45 and 90 joint couplers and a sand the corner edges down so there is more of a smooth transition the the main leg shafts. Looks way more real now. I'll post that one when complete.

Carves the mandibles out of pool noodles and dipped them in liquid rubber, buy it at HD, Lowes or Ace. Used caulking to glue them to the spiders face. Ordered black marbles, 1/2" and 1" of the eyes glued in with dabs of the black liquid rubber.

Turning out way better tan I could have hoped!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did a giant spider theme last year that sounds a lot like what you are planning. Webbed up trick or treaters, furry giant spider with modified mask for a face. This was a very popular display. I completely switched themes this year, but still have people coming around asking about the spiders.

When I made my spider, I did a few things I think are unique.
- It was furry
- I added small triangles to the legs to look like the ridges on some spider legs
- I corpsed the legs (covered in thin plastic and heat gun shrank it to give the legs a more organic feeling)
- Built in a remote control silly string shooter that really made Halloween night fun.
- Used coke bottle bases for large eyes and put in LEDs so the glowed at night
- Used a viking helmet horn for a stinger on the back.

I don't want to co-oped your post, so hope sharing here is okay. I could have done a separate post, but thought this was very relevant to your question and plan.

Here are some photos from 2017

My Giant Spider Front

My Giant Spider Side view

My Giant Spider shooting Silly string

Spider Purchased from Home Depot and little girl in webbing

Yard view

Spider bait corpse

Iron man trick or treater webbed

Skeleton trick or treater webbed

Giant Egg sack

·
Registered
580 Posts
I always wanted to make a truly gigantic spider that I could put up on the roof, coming over the house. I mean huge, like 40 feet wide. The problem is the weight, which I wouldn't want to make too heavy and the high winds that we get, I don't know how well it would survive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rgibbs reply was one of the most awesome beef netting layouts I have seen. The layered 3 dimensional effect and shear scope is impressive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts