Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone had ever built a Bat House for their yard. I'm in the process of making one right now.
A couple of years ago the neighbors behind us had bats in their attic. The bats were chased out of there and later moved into the house next door. Then late last summer my wife saw bats flying around and realized they were coming from OUR attic vent. I could never actually see find them inside the attic.
Anyway, they clear out of their roosts when winter comes then return in the spring. So in winter is when I'm supposed to seal off their entrance to the attic.
I didn't have the heart to kick them out if they didn't have some other place to go. (Actually I think it's kind of cool to have bats in my attic, since we are the Halloween house in the neighborhood.)
So I found a book on E-bay that shows how to build Bat Houses and I hope to have it put up by spring.
It sounds like the conditions and placement of the bat house have to be just right for them to move in, and it still may take a year or years for it to become occupied. Or it may never be lived in.
I'll try to post some pics of it when I finish it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hi Davein the Grave, Yes I have a few bat houses. I never made mine though. I've bought them. It didn't take the sweeties long to roost in it. Another time I'll get more in depth with you about bats and my love for them. There are many excellent websites out there to assist you with building your own. Placement is important but so are several other factors, I'll try and get back to you on this soon,k. Can't wait to see your pictures though.:)
What speices do you have where you are located?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Davein the Grave, Yes I have a few bat houses. I never made mine though. I've bought them. It didn't take the sweeties long to roost in it. Another time I'll get more in depth with you about bats and my love for them. There are many excellent websites out there to assist you with building your own. Placement is important but so are several other factors, I'll try and get back to you on this soon,k. Can't wait to see your pictures though.:)
What speices do you have where you are located?
Sounds great!! Any information would be appreciated. I'm not sure what species of bat lives around here (I'm in North Carolina). I know they aren't very big. I got a book off E-bay I'm using that gives measurements and instructions on building different sized bat houses.

The one I'm making is about 2 feet by 2 feet, about 8 inches wide (with 5 baffles inside).

·
Maniacal Imagineer
1,746 Posts
I put up a few last summer. They are gone for the winter but hope they will return. Bats are a good thing to have around but not in your attic. They are mosquito eating machines!

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
i had some bats living under my roll down bilnd on the porch one year ...everytime someone walked off the porch ..it sounded like sombody was calling a cat LOL...but i never made a box for them ..they left too soon.. but sombody from here gave me good sites from the net on how to build them... looks easy..good luck!!!

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
A Bat House is a great idea. These little guys need all the help they can get -

hehttp://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19726453.500-fatal-fungus-threatens-americas-bats.htmllp

The house needs to be high, away from lights and keep in mind the guano and urine outfall. They don't work if placed in a tree.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, Wolfman you are right. I think the book said at least 10 to 20 feet high and away from trees. I figured to maybe use metal electrical conduit for the pole. Then clear out an area below it and circle it with decorative brick or edging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts