Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have asked this before, years ago, but do we have any practicing Witches in our group?

If so, what are YOUR plans for our favourite night?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't consider myself Wiccan either. I go more of the traditional witch route.

I engage in the typical Halloween activities, but there are also things I do for myself. I light a candle and put it in my window to guide any lost souls, and I believe any candles lit, even in pumpkins, keep the negative spirits away, so I do not blow them out. I also sometimes practice divination on that night, giving tarot readings to close friends and family.

Oh, and this year I want to try carving a turnip!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Eclectic pagan here, non-practicing because most of my belongings are still in storage in another state, and I'm too cheap to buy new stuff. I also don't have alone time, with exception to about 30 minutes to an hour when everyone else is in bed at night. I would like to begin practicing again, though.

I have about 22 years experience, and used to have quite a library. I really only rely on two sources now, though. (Agrippa, and I love all of Judika Isles' books)

I see that I didn't fully answer the original question. I celebrate Halloween, and I don't do much for Samhain. Like others, I use it for divination (although I do that often at other times too), connecting with the departed that I've known, and I do not blow out my candles, either. In fact, I even left my battery operated JoL lights on until the batteries wore out. ;) It's not quite the same, but I couldn't bear to turn them off, honestly.

Samhain doesn't always fall on October 31st, because it's a solar holiday (sun at 15 degrees Scorpio).

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,758 Posts
I would consider myself to follow mostly Pagan beliefs, but I do not label myself as or practice any one specific type of it's many branch religions. I am open to many beliefs. Wicca is a Pagan religion, and so I do follow some aspects of it, but I am not Wiccan. Most of my family members that follow these beliefs just say Pagan...or, some simply call us all witches, lol. Though I have family members who practice, we are all mostly solitary practitioners. I don't heavily practice, though, it's more just always there for me, a part of me. I do practice in small ways, though, when I feel the need to.
For me, basically, I follow a Pagan belief system in all of it's Earth following and practicing ways. It's all about nature for me.

For Halloween, I generally celebrate it as normal...but I do add in some Pagan traditions for both Halloween and Samhain. For example, like others above, I leave my Jack-o-Lanterns lit all night, if possible, on Halloween night. I light a candle for the dead, usually placed in a western window. I love to have small bonfires and if I can't have a fire, for some reason, I light many candles indoors. I always have fresh apples, apple baked treats, and/or apple ciders and drinks of some sort. Halloween night is a good time for spells and divination, too...some of my family members take advantage of this...I always want to, but never have much time. On Halloween night, after ToT is over, I love to just go outside in the quiet, breathe in the crisp night air and watch the moon while sitting amongst my lit Jack-o-Lanterns. You can just feel the magic and power in the air on Halloween night...
There are other small things I do, too, but mostly just the normal stuff like I wrote above.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am not pagan or wiccan but I do know what you mean witchykitty about just being in the night. I love the 'feel' of that night, it is like no other. In my spiritual life I have learned of the thinness of the veil during certain times, I feel that intensely on Halloween night.
Thanks so much for sharing, I appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.