Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to try one of the Don Post/Reel FX latex applications the ones you glue to your face and finally bought one this year. Anyone have any helpful hints or make up tips? I got the Reel FX "Bones" kit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually easier to apply than you'd think

I've used several over the years, and as long as you have some decent makeup, blending them in is pretty easy. Use a decent adhesive - I use Mehron spirit gum or liquid silicone, depending on the appliance. I also use barrier spray first for protection, and also to set the makeup after I blend the appliance into my skin. Oh, and you'll want adhesive remover, especially if you're going to attach the appliance to "last" for the evening. I like to practice before the big night, so last Saturday I cleaned house with a stake thru my chest. Stayed right in place, test successful. Makeup stayed nice, too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its going to be a learning process, don't feel bad about doing an ok job, to other people who dont have the gonads to try a prothstetic, it looks awesome! I started with prothstetics early and learn more each time I do one. I usually will allow myself 5 to six hours to get things looking just about the way I want them. Don't rush yourself! First make sure that your face is cleaned with soap and water to take away any oils from your face. Since you have all ready tried this on, you shouldn't have to worry about your skin reacting badly. I have some discomfort but, no pain no gain. Use spirit gum to adhere the appliance to your face, just latex does not cut it, but you will need liquid latex to blend the mask. I suggest going to you tube or any site to watch a professional apply a piece. I begin the application with my nose, then I work outwards from there. It can get tricky around the eyes but hang in there its well worth it. When you get to the edges of the piece, its pretty simple but time consuming. Just use your liquid latex and blend, blend, blend until the edges are not visible; if they are, dont worry about it, you have a leg up on 90% of the population anyway. Start at one spot on the edge apply latex sparingly to it and move to the the next part of the edge. This way when you get back to the place you started, it will most likely be dried and ready for another thin coat. Thin layers will make this blend in a less conspicuous manner. Paint however you want but I recommend a powder over the makeup to seal and potect from smudging. Most of all, have fun and reap the reward of your hard work!! Oh, and since you did this once youll probably be bit by the bug. There are some great foam latex appliances available on different sites on the web for your next try. I got one last year from the Scream Team and I am using it again and just changing the color scheme on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts