Halloween Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this stiff gorilla ani-motion mask and the jaw is so stiff. I can barely move it with my mouth, the lips don’t really rise like they’re supposed to, and any time i try to open my mouth in it the mask slides down my nose. Does anyone have any tips for how to fix these masks?
Eyelash Jaw Iris Headgear Feather

· Registered
19 Posts
Looks cool, I've never seen the gorilla!
In 2016 I purchased the gray werewolf ani-motion mask, and with my smaller female face I DEFINITELY had to make some adjustments. I'd probably do it a little different now (with better experience in masks/costuming), but at the time, I added some more foam padding to the chin to help me reach the bottom jaw. I also drilled holes in the upper and lower jaw on each side and added some elastic to help it spring back to closed.

With your case, I'm assuming the tightness in the jaw joint is what's making the mask hard to open/close. I'm guessing that it's a plastic "bolt" holding together the lip-raising piece and the jaw pieces, so try to loosen it in any way possible. Maybe you could get some lubricant in the joint, or maybe you could sand down the individual layers to make them all thinner.

To keep the mask better on your face, you could purchase some velcro bands to go behind the head (my gray werewolf has one velcro strap across the head, not sure if yours does), or get some elastic bands. You might have to drill holes, one in the top and two near the ears, to be able to mount velcro or elastic. Be mindful of the mask touching your face, and add more foam padding as necessary.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts