Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start with a plastic skull, use *something* to build it up and change the appearance a bit, then corpse over it. My question is, what should the *something" be? Paper clay? sculpting clay? Monster clay? Please let me know your suggestions, including specifics like what brand or recipe you use. Thanks!

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Have a go at straight Elmers White glue and dryer lint. Tough, malleable, printable and cheap. I've used it on numerous mobster heads, haven't found anything better.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wolfman's idea is a good one, and cheap too. I've used elmers glue and toilet paper on "mummified" arms and hands to get that dried wrinkled skin look. Depending on how gruesome you want to go you could also squirt small dabs of expanding foam ( called Great Stuff) some paint and red yarn to make tumors. Or after you've got the skull built up and painted the way you want brush on some glue in spots and sprinkle on some finely crushed florists foam to make it look mossy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is a little different than a straight skull, but I start my corpse heads from a foam mannequin one. Lots of latex, carving, melting with acetone then sculpted and baked teeth and a lot more, and they look like this. Just fun lol

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Corpsing skulls

I teach a one-hour, non-latex corpsed skull course at all the large Halloween conventions around the USA. I like skulls with removable teeth best.
I only use the skulls and skeletons from "Skeletons And More".
https://www.facebook.com/DrTerrorEyes/

Maybe catch one next year? This year I am running the SE USA Halloween Convention: SEHEC. SkullCorpse1.jpg

I would like to start with a plastic skull, use *something* to build it up and change the appearance a bit, then corpse over it. My question is, what should the *something" be? Paper clay? sculpting clay? Monster clay? Please let me know your suggestions, including specifics like what brand or recipe you use. Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
And the glowing eyes I use are program-selectable and $20 for Hauntbots.com.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you’re looking to corpse something, like Pumpkin Rot style, I would recommend using a mache paste made from either a glue/water mixture or exterior latex paint. You can use just about anything (paper towels, toilet paper, tissue paper, cotton fibers, etc.) for the paper medium. Dip the paper medium into the paste and apply directly over the plastic skull. Apply additional layers for detail (such as torn skin, muscle, veins, etc.). Let the mache dry then apply a base coat of exterior latex paint. When dry apply various coats of acrylic paint for detail and color variation. Finish it off with a coat of spray or liquid sealer (matte or glossy). I do agree with J-Man and the others regarding Apoxy Sculpt, it is one of the best two-part epoxy clays available. However it would take a lot longer to create corsping effects using an epoxy clay and it’s not as forgiving as mache. (Attached are photos of some skulls and dog ribs I made using this technique - the ribs were made with epoxy clay and the skin between is mache).

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts