Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I made a similar thing for an entrance to a castle a couple of years ago, and I just used a cheap plastic skull from Pound Store (Dollar store to you guys) as I was able to cut bits out, chip the teeth etc. I then covered it with a mix of stone grey paint and sand which gave that rough textured finish, I then did the same touching it up with green paint mixed with sand to give that mossy aged look. I also stuck some florists moss up the side of the tower it was sitting on. It will be up in the loft somewhere which I have taken over with halloween stuff, if I can find it I will post a pic :)

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Pound Store (Dollar store to you guys)
LOL. Except the £1 is worth $1.64. Now I want to see pics of this Pound Store's Halloween offerings to compare to our Dollar store offerings to see if you get better stuff. Or maybe the tradeoff is built in taxes with that pound price?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with starting out with a styrofoam skull and then I would cover it with paper mache clay (the toilet paper recipe) and then complete it as others have suggested. If you start out with a "Bag of Bones" package you will have everything you need. Then just add the clay and color, I mean colour :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
By the way, if you seal it really well and you can leave outside for month or so leading up to the big day ... you can grow real moss on it. There are few tricks like pouring sour milk over it or stale beer to encourage the moss to grow. I can't remember the details but it should be easy enough to find.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can't get over how many good ideas are on this forum! I would grind up green floral foam and sprinkle it on like glitter for the moss, I think. I may have to try this one, would look awesome in our grave yard.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would buy an inexpensive hard foam skull and bones (bought in the bag, bag-o-bones i believe) Glue the whole thing to a piece of blue Styrofoam insulation cut to the shape of the headstone they rest on then paint the whole thing in two or three coats of a really good "stone spray" by Krylon or any one of the others. Once you've gotten the desired effect, buy a bag of moss (sphagnum, spanish or whatever) and glue that all over for the same effect and WHAMMO......instant replica of your skull and crossed bones.......best of luck......can't wait to see your final project........

·
Registered
409 Posts
The thing is with the pound store, it's really hit and miss and you kind of have to hit lucky when something decent arrives in, as it will soon be sold out and you will never see them again! The actual halloween range is usually the same sort of stuff, tends to be mainly party items, spooky cups, plates etc, and the decor usually cardboard just stuff you hang around, but more kiddie than scary. They are good for cheap skulls that you can modify though, and I have got a few of those bloody hands, arms and legs, but I would pretty much guess yours will have a better range than us as more popular in the US. However, next time I am in I will take a pic and post it for you, and you can decide who has better range :Dthey are used to me as I am always on the look out in there!:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey all

Well, thanks to Pumkinhead and the skull and cross bones pictures I saw this morning I just had to "borrow" the idea and make one of my own despite my previous plans for the day, lol. I got some pretty dried out potters clay and have never played with it but happy with it despite the cracking. I set it on a 200 lb 4"X6' piece of limestone I picked up a few years ago and threw some sealer on it to try and keep cracking down and it pieced together at least long enough to plaster the moss and hide some repair glues as needed as it ages. Anyway, I fell in love with that moss skull on first sight and I've also admired the OP's skull for years as well. Anyway, thought I'd throw out a share pics since I didn't get anything else done all day...Pumkin!.
Halloween 121.jpg

Halloween 118.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts