Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were thinking this is the theme this year and have been racking ourr brains (ouch!) foe ideas. There are some great gothic ideas in the old Martha Stewart Halloween books. Of course there'll be the raven perched on a bust, I'm doing a styro wall of bricks with an opening, put in a figure with a dim light, ala The Cask of Amontillado or the Black Cat. Trying to figure out how to do the tell-tale heart - a beating hesrt in the floor... A favorite is "Hop-Frog", not quite sure how to tieit into the party...and most people don't know the story anyway.

I'd probably dress as Poe, and my wife has a nice gothic dress and may be "the lost Lenore"
Any additional ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Check out this haunted house where about halfway through the video they have a TELL TALE HEART scene set up. The skelly has a heart beating inside, and the actual Tell Tale Heart story is being read by a freaky sounding voice. They also do something with the floor boards, like a flashing light coming up through the cracks. Anyhow good for some ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A57Kw9CKn5Q

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for the input! All of the rooms in the Haunted House video is impressive!
No, haven't seen the Following - I'll see if I can catch up online.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW threepinkpoodles, the section with the telltale heart was inspirational. I want to find that recording of Vincent Price reciting the Raven, and may borrow their idea for a beating heart underneath the floorboards...somehow.
There was an LP (look it up, kids) by a group called the Glass Prism (coincidentially from my neck of the woods near Wilkes-Barre, PA) who did an album called "Poe Through The Glass Prism". I have a copy so I think I'll burn cd's to include in the goody bags..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have any ideas but I know Martha Stewart did an article either in her magazine or on her website about an Edgar Allan Poe theme.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Here at The Ravens Grin Inn we have nice Orange with Black lettered bumper stickers for possible party gifts.....A life-mask/bust of Vincent Price is available ... somewhere? My Father-in-law got us one a few years ago....

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The party threads that I remember were for a party for a group of teachers or something. For some reason I seem to remember them calling this intellectual something or the other. I will look back during the next few days and see if I can find something. This is a great theme to use. I remember seeing the Tell Tale Heart in 7th grade at an all school party and I can still "hear" that beating heart. It was in our huge auditorium at night and was awesome.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
http://www.ghoulfriday.com/painting_faux_wooden_boards_cardboard

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/life-size-realistic-heart-w-lighting/?w=heart&UTM_campaign=Search:SC:heart

this is what I did for the Tell Tale Heart....a pallet probably would have been easier but I was pretty happy with my box and spirit heart.

I didn't have it on the floor, I just had it on a buffet table. I painted the cardboard to look like wood planks, cut the box to look like broken shards of wood and put the heart inside. It was pretty cool. I didn't have a real haunt set up just a dinner party.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
This is what I wanted to do for Annabel Lee, depending on how in depth you wanted to go.

put out a low glass bowl with sea shells and sand, a flower hallo with ribbons-you see her wearing this in a lot of the pics and a copy of the Poem framed behind it, play some ocean waves music very low right by the display, maybe even a fan blowing up from the floor would be a nice touch, the cold wind chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.... If you wanted to go bigger you could dress a skelly and make a funeral bed for her with with sand and sea shells, a veil over her face with the music and the fan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gah, we did this last year, I have to see if I can find some pictures. A couple of ideas that were a hit at our party- we "bricked up" (carved pink foam to look like a brick wall with a few missing) a closet and put a skeleton arm coming out of it (for "the Cask of Amontillado"), I built the clock from "Masque of the Red Death" (again out of pink foam) and painted it black with a white dry-brush on top, then lit the room red so it looked like it was glowing. Also we took big sheets of brown craft paper and had a friend of ours take black paint and write out most of "The Raven" in BIG crazy-person handwriting, then hung it so it covered a whole wall of our living room. That was the most effective I think, and one of my favorites. I'll see if I can find pictures (I'm at work right now) and post them if I do...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts