Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finished well almost finished this façade and tried spraying with watered down black paint didn't come out like I hoped so repainted it.
should say that it Is kinda a stucco finish I think that's what is making the difference from what I have seen in in the weathering

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
When I weather my tombstones I do one of two things (sometimes both). #1 is spray the surface with a garden hose on the "mist" setting, then a shot of black spray paint and ending with another light misting. #2 is a typical "tea staining" method using black paint diluted with a lot of water; soak a medium artist's brush with the mixture and dab (not brush) it near the top of the piece and let it run down, creating dirt and mildew-looking streaks.

DSCF2988.jpg

P.S. - Love what you're doing there with the crypt, it looks great!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Looks great! Like Gumpster said, wash it with watered down dark paint (water based exterior latex) start real light and you can add layers until you get the effect you want. Apply with a spray bottle starting at the top so it can run down.
Pete

·
Registered
426 Posts
Instead of black, try dry brushing on shades of orange and yellow. That would probably look better on a white surface like this. You could also use a method called tea staining, as opposed to painting. Even heavily diluted wood stain could work for distressing.
I'd also suggest using either real or fake moss in certain places to enhance the decay.

This is beautiful, though. It'll really be over the top once it's aged properly. Amazing job!

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Your crypt looks amazing, nice job!! The spray bottle method can work well, the paint needs to be quite diluted to achieve the right effect and it is a very messy process. I like the dry brushing idea suggested by vampyrespro, especially with all of the texture you have on facade, it would look very nice.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea as I said I tried the spay bottle but it wasn't looking right I don't know if it was the stuko finish or just the way I did it
I do like the Idea of shades of orge and yellow though some of the stucko is yellow beneath the white some is pink do to using left
over paint to start.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
First off, your crypt wall is great!!!

Hmmm, I use the same techniques mentioned by everyone above...if you are hellbent on streaking, I got nothin'. What about dry brushing to add some shading & depth-even the watered down spray misting will work for shading? I think you are right in that the stucco texture might be inhibiting the spray on/weathered streaks look that you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts