Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, but I have been following for the last 3 years for ideas and have found this forum to be very inspiring and informative! I really want to go all out and make my yard a lot scarier and more interactive (some sort of walkthrough or path) but I have no idea where to begin. I tried to get spookier effects with lighting, but it was too bright in my opinion. I have plenty of space to grow. I have included pics from this year and one from 2017 to show how i started out. I would really appreciate any constructive criticism/comments/suggestions on how I can take my yard to the next level. Hopefully one day I will work up to a full haunted house!

34544AEE-0E96-466A-8E65-A39F3BEEC155.jpeg
9897CCDD-6FA5-48F5-8B1C-3677A570863D.jpeg

9824557A-345E-49D5-8564-11A38937FE99.jpeg
AF200D21-7A65-4688-BB19-784C592A7E93.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Nice yard and house style btw and like a lot of what you did. What I would say looks missing is action/movement--can be from lighting effects (even lightning inside your house's upstairs bedroom windows to carry interest further up and add some mood) and projections or props. Let's say you added projectors, you could have crawling spiders going up your house walls. Looks like a nice canvas area to make use of. There are projections for tombstones to bring them to life. You could add singing or talking pumpkins through projections. Props, kind of self-explanatory but depending on your weather that year could be hit or miss out there. But your covered entryway looks like it has come possibilities. In fact it looks like maybe there is space off to the side hidden that could be a prop scare as the kids get closer to your front door.

The first picture (assume earliest set up) with only green lighting was too bright but all the other photos with the colored lighting look appropriately lit for a more spooky look and still make the tombstones readable. Some spider webs or moss on the tombstones and fencing to give the graveyard an older look might be a nice addition towards that goal. Your neighborhood looks rather new so you don't have a older trees to make use of but you could check out and even DIY some spooky type trees to add in a couple places in the yard. Willow trees with drooping strands of leaves or banyon trees trunks are favorites of mine. You could then hang some lighting to them (either down or up light or hanging lanterns or lit pumpkins all possibilities for different effects).

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could consider adding animatronics that come out from behind tombstones. I am considering doing this myself, with some simpler ideas (solenoid activated skeleton hands reaching up and retracting) and some more complex ones (a wiper motor making a skeleton sit up, maybe out of a coffin or maybe from a shallow grave). Other ideas are to create little stories with props near the stones. Like a mourning corpse near a tombstone or a demon near another.

You have a great cemetery now, I can understand wanting to build on it. The challenge is if you want to go creepy gross undead OR more old school spooky scares. What feels more like you?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Your yard looks very nice, the lighting looks good as well.

Some props you could add would be some coffins, maybe a grave digger skelly, graveyard grabber and some tombstone poppers. The red brick side of your house would be a great place to either put up a Flying Crank Ghost or do a projection. The area in front of your windows close to your driveway would be a good spot for some singing pumpkins or busts. Or maybe a large spider and some webbing. You could put some glowing or moving/blinking eyes in your bushes on both sides of your entry way. Maybe have some animated zombies in the grassy area in front of your graveyard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your display looks great and your overall look works well. Most of your pics show the haunt as an overall view set. If you want to increase scare factor you may want to work on proximity and isolation. Think about a meandering path where visitors cannot keep their back to the open. Control access but make them feel like they are surrounded. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's a great display, and the architecture of the house looks appropriately gothic! The element that I think you can add is a live person in costume who haunts the exit from your yard. By that I mean a fully costumed person who stands completely still while the kids approach. They will talk themselves into believing it's a mannequin. As they get their treats, the still figure comes to life, and VERY slowly and VERY deliberately moves to block their exit/escape. No chasing, no sound from the the figure, just a slow deliberate silent menace that the kids will shriek over. I know this is a great element, as I did this myself for many years at my home in Maryland in the '80's and '90's; then we moved to Ohio and my son and I have been trading off the duty for the last seven years. The simplicity of it is its creepy charm! It has worked every time we've done it, and everyone has enjoyed a good scare! Here is a picture of him from just this last Halloween--

This is the Zagone Studios Grim Reaper outfit, and works every time! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Your display looks good but there is nothing moving and there is too much open space. Some suggestions:

1) Add some real candles or good "flame" bulbs in candles and/or lanterns like these:
Nothing creates a spookier ambiance than candles.

2) Do a search on "Swamp Lanterns". They are easy to make and definitely add a creepy factor. It does not appear that you have trees in your yard but you can use poles of some kind or make a scare crow and hang some from that.

3) Get some spooky music going

4) Get a fog maker going. Caution - they are perpetually breaking down and if there is even a little wind they will be ineffective.

5) You need to somehow confine your visitors. Think of entering a dark cave - why is that scary? Because you can't see what's in there and once you are in your exit may be blocked. You need to somehow create that feeling of being confined. There are many ways you could do this - @victograph mentions creating a meandering path. You could also create an archway or covered trellis of some kind near the entrance into your yard or by your front yard that visitors are required to go through to get to your door. You could cover it with netting and hang lights inside but it would still create the "confined" feeling.

6) Go check out this website: pumpkinrot.com. There are tons of photos and that dude's work has probably inspired half the people on this site in one way or another.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You got an excellent setup , but two of the things that found received a ton of positive feedback from was a home made electric chair which i had Michael Myers dummy setup in , and i just had flashing lights and a countdown audio with electric shock effects after the countdown and Michael obviously rocking about being zapped but i let the kids zap him lol , you wouldn't believe the Que to fry him lol , that was over 10 years ago but regulars still say that was one of there favorites , then last year i did a fake zombie hand wall near to my doorway with slits in for 2 real hands to come through , and of course people thought they were all fake until my friend who was behind the wall tapped them on the shoulder when there back was against it or even grab some people , the adults were funnier than the kids especially the women , lol it was hilarious and great fun , and very easy to make just used old pallets and black rubble sacks stapled at the back , i will look for a photo and post one here if i can find one , hope these might give you an idea for next year but heh its awesome anyway .

heres a photo before the black rubble sacks and hands were added , and with a bit of distressing and spray paint distressing ,

it looked really good in the dark and you couldnt see the black rubble sacks lol .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts