Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
I realize for most, Halloween is a long ways off. School opening or not is the current local concerns. And then fall sports.
I'm planning on decorating, BUT based on TOTing wouldn't be outlawed by towns or states, planning on a one way path.
Easier for families to social distance if desired.
BUT, that requires a different setup (additional work needed and some additional builds). So the question is, are there ANY town rumblings about TOTing. I know some towns set hours, but since its a Saturday the window of hours CAN be expended. Since its already a Saturday, I don't see moving it to a different day/evening. Since, its Saturday, schools may opt out of doing school day parades, parties and maybe the despised trunk or treats.
ANY RUMOURS?
Jerseyscare
I have heard FB rumors of No Halloween but it won't stop me from having a party or carnival for the kids. We ALWAYS decorate unless it is a blizzard out and Its our anniversary ! Been married since 1992.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If they cancel Halloween, I will celebrate it anyways. I'm planning on putting my decorations at the beginning of October.

I've always loved Halloween as a kid, so this year I'm planning on making it special and go all out. I've missed Halloween so much. It's just one of those holidays that I always look forward too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the feeling that, if my state is still allowing conventions, trick or treating will still be a thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I realize for most, Halloween is a long ways off. School opening or not is the current local concerns. And then fall sports.
I'm planning on decorating, BUT based on TOTing wouldn't be outlawed by towns or states, planning on a one way path.
Easier for families to social distance if desired.
BUT, that requires a different setup (additional work needed and some additional builds). So the question is, are there ANY town rumblings about TOTing. I know some towns set hours, but since its a Saturday the window of hours CAN be expended. Since its already a Saturday, I don't see moving it to a different day/evening. Since, its Saturday, schools may opt out of doing school day parades, parties and maybe the despised trunk or treats.
ANY RUMOURS?
Jerseyscare
A lot of areas are cancelling. Our town will most likely follow suit, although they did open the crowded beaches. Their thinking is that they are outdoors, but for the most part so is Halloween. They say that they can't stop me from putting out our display though. I plan on having a protest demonstration on the evening on Oct.31. No one seems to want to shut them down. Everyone can wear masks and demand free candy which I will, out of fear, be forced to oblige. I thought I would make up some signs that say "NO CANDY, NO PEACE", or maybe "MAKE HALLOWEEN GREAT AGAIN", or even "UNDEAD LIVES MATTER".

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm a tad more optimistic than I was in late August. The folks who throw a big fandom convention here in late February are planning a downtown event which I imagine will bring a lot of people out. If they feel confident they can pull that off, then maybe other people will do some trick-'r-treating in neighborhoods.
I mean, last year was absolute **** weather Halloween night and we still got upwards of forty visitors, so fingers crossed! 🦇

·
Registered
60 Posts
We are already starting our yard decor (just lights for now) but will continue to add to it each week as we get closer.
I plan to pass out goody bags rather than having kids bunch up at the door.
we are also planning to do one way path through the small haunt.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Just saw the CDC posted this last night:

Halloween
Many traditional Halloween activities can be high-risk for spreading viruses. There are several safer, alternative ways to participate in Halloween. If you may have COVID-19 or you may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, you should not participate in in-person Halloween festivities and should not give out candy to trick-or-treaters.
Lower risk activities
These lower risk activities can be safe alternatives:
  • Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them
  • Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends
  • Decorating your house, apartment, or living space
  • Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children are given lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while they walk outdoors from house to house admiring Halloween decorations at a distance
  • Having a virtual Halloween costume contest
  • Having a Halloween movie night with people you live with
  • Having a scavenger hunt-style trick-or-treat search with your household members in or around your home rather than going house to house
Moderate risk activities
  • Participating in one-way trick-or-treating where individually wrapped goodie bags are lined up for families to grab and go while continuing to social distance (such as at the end of a driveway or at the edge of a yard)
    • If you are preparing goodie bags, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 second before and after preparing the bags.
  • Having a small group, outdoor, open-air costume parade where people are distanced more than 6 feet apart
  • Attending a costume party held outdoors where protective masks are used and people can remain more than 6 feet apart
    • A costume mask (such as for Halloween) is not a substitute for a cloth mask. A costume mask should not be used unless it is made of two or more layers of breathable fabric that covers the mouth and nose and doesn’t leave gaps around the face.
    • Do not wear a costume mask over a protective cloth mask because it can be dangerous if the costume mask makes it hard to breathe. Instead, consider using a Halloween-themed cloth mask.
  • Going to an open-air, one-way, walk-through haunted forest where appropriate mask use is enforced, and people can remain more than 6 feet apart
    • If screaming will likely occur, greater distancing is advised. The greater the distance, the lower the risk of spreading a respiratory virus.
  • Visiting pumpkin patches or orchards where people use hand sanitizer before touching pumpkins or picking apples, wearing masks is encouraged or enforced, and people are able to maintain social distancing
  • Having an outdoor Halloween movie night with local family friends with people spaced at least 6 feet apart
    • If screaming will likely occur, greater distancing is advised. The greater the distance, the lower the risk of spreading a respiratory virus.
    • Lower your risk by following CDC’s recommendations on hosting gatherings or cook-outs.
Higher risk activities
Avoid these higher risk activities to help prevent the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19:
  • Participating in traditional trick-or-treating where treats are handed to children who go door to door
  • Having trunk-or-treat where treats are handed out from trunks of cars lined up in large parking lots
  • Attending crowded costume parties held indoors
  • Going to an indoor haunted house where people may be crowded together and screaming
  • Going on hayrides or tractor rides with people who are not in your household
  • Using alcohol or drugs, which can cloud judgement and increase risky behaviors
  • Traveling to a rural fall festival that is not in your community if you live in an area with community spread of COVID-19

·
Registered
493 Posts
My neighbor and I do a joint yard thing (our yards abut eachother with no driveway to separate them). I like the idea of doing a scavenger hunt for kids if they do the one-way walk thru we have planned. We could post it on NextDoor for people who want to bring their kids by during the day when it's less spooky and when it's less busy.

People on our town's NextDoor page have been talking about ways to make TOT safer (how to have social distancing in place & minimize contacts). A lot of discussion also about how the risk of catching Covid from an inanimate object is pretty low, so letting kids pick out treats isn't a horrible thing.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
@Engineerchic sounds like a great idea! We usually put our fire pit in our drive way and hand out candy so we can keep an eye on our display and of course see the reactions. This year I had planned to simply do treat bags and put them on a table 6 feet away from us so people could grab and go.

I checked our village Facebook and the last update I have is our council will make a decision at their mid-month meeting in October. I imagine the delay in decision is getting direction from the appropriate entity. Now that the CDC had issued guidelines, I’m sure many state health departments will issue decisions which dwindle down to our local health departments and will impact our local councils.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My haunt depends on it not raining,I plan on setting up that Saturday morning and running it all day.The state has already caused all the big events to cancel in Ohio.The local health department is already trying to butt in.All I can say is the CDC can kiss it.I plan on passing candy out NORMALLY.

·
The Haunting Girl
950 Posts
Good news for NJ haunters! Halloween is NOT cancelled as of October 5th. Trick-or-treating will be allowed unless your town says otherwise.
  • Outdoor Door to Door Trick or Treating
    • a. Those who plan to trick-or-treat should limit their groups to current household members, consider staying local, and limit the number of houses on their route. Social distancing should be practiced between all who are not in the same household.
    • b. For those putting out treats:
      • i. Good option: Limit interaction or contact with trick-or-treaters, wear a mask when individuals come to the door, and regularly wash hands.
      • ii. Better option: Leave a treat bowl on a porch or table or in a place where it may be easily accessed while adhering to social distancing requirements.
      • iii. Best option: Arrange individually packaged candy so that trick or treaters can grab and go without accessing a shared bowl.
View the whole document: NJ Halloween Celebration Guidance

·
Registered
171 Posts
Considering the political leanings of my town Halloween will not be cancelled. Kids are in school now. Our town or half heartedly shut down last spring. The Lowes parking lot was PACKED by the first of May. Most people here still don't wear a mask. No one around here is really of a mind to let the government tell them what to do...

My yard haunt is up all month long anyway so people can easily do their drive bys. We have large performances in the yard the week leading up to Halloween, complete with a professional sound and lighting company, 40 or so dancers, and about 400 people each night in attendance. I am not sure that is going to happen as planned but I am running full steam ahead with it ... and if I have to broadcast it live on the internet instead of live then so be it.

As for actual trick or treating... that is so low on my list. We do get a lot of foot traffic that night but mostly by then the whole town has already been to see the house/yard or to the show... so the 31st is not a real priority for me or anyone else. If no one shows up then oh well. I will still be on the porch but will probably buy less candy this time.
Wow! Any pics of all this (performances and all that?) I’d love to see them. Sounds epic.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My village council ruled in favor of Halloween so it’s about to crazy spooky in here! So excited! Sadly, many surrounding towns have decided not to do Halloween. Might create an influx of TOTs so I’m still debating how much candy is enough. And, the 30 day forecast is no longer calling for rain!!! Is luck smiling on me somehow? I seriously am so excited cause I really thought it would be a repeat of last year where no massive display was done.

·
The Haunting Girl
950 Posts
In NJ Plainfield and Bound Brook have already banned trick-or-treating this year. I really hope other towns don't jump on the bandwagon unless there's an actual spike in cases. I've been following the numbers for my area and things are pretty level right now. Despite the fact that we had double the cases in September that we had in August the deaths remained around the same. People are still getting the virus, but we've learned enough now that it's not anywhere as deadly as it was back in March. I don't want people to get sick, but the fact remains that it's going to happen.
I think we all know enough now that we can handle going trick-or-treating. Kids are going into schools and day care. People are going to work and shopping (usually with kids in tow). Honestly of all the activities people could be doing right now, trick-or-treating is probably one of the safer ones. And I really think people just need something positive and almost normal right now. Let people celebrate and have some fun especially considering what is going to happen in the days (and possibly months) following Halloween for those of us in the United States.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
So here’s a question.... I know most of us are focusing on what we are giving this Halloween, but has anyone heard any buzz about those receiving?

Most of my friends have stated they’re not planning to participate. I’m wondering if people will be more prone to TOT to have something fun to do or forego TOT and not risk it.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts