Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize for most, Halloween is a long ways off. School opening or not is the current local concerns. And then fall sports.
I'm planning on decorating, BUT based on TOTing wouldn't be outlawed by towns or states, planning on a one way path.
Easier for families to social distance if desired.
BUT, that requires a different setup (additional work needed and some additional builds). So the question is, are there ANY town rumblings about TOTing. I know some towns set hours, but since its a Saturday the window of hours CAN be expended. Since its already a Saturday, I don't see moving it to a different day/evening. Since, its Saturday, schools may opt out of doing school day parades, parties and maybe the despised trunk or treats.
ANY RUMOURS?
Jerseyscare

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
This is going to be as varied as the cities responses to everything covid related have been. Most of what I've heard are from corporations that were planning on poor halloween sales.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Haven't heard anything regarding trick or treating but my guess is it'll happen and towns/cities will hear from their local officials to maintain social distancing, trick or treat neighborhoods you know etc. So much depends on where you live will be the main key.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I realize for most, Halloween is a long ways off. School opening or not is the current local concerns. And then fall sports.
I'm planning on decorating, BUT based on TOTing wouldn't be outlawed by towns or states, planning on a one way path.
Easier for families to social distance if desired.
BUT, that requires a different setup (additional work needed and some additional builds). So the question is, are there ANY town rumblings about TOTing. I know some towns set hours, but since its a Saturday the window of hours CAN be expended. Since its already a Saturday, I don't see moving it to a different day/evening. Since, its Saturday, schools may opt out of doing school day parades, parties and maybe the despised trunk or treats.
ANY RUMOURS?
Jerseyscare
No rumours here.
I live in an idiot state (california) run by a complete moron and even that idiot can't see anything wrong with TOTing (but I'm sure he'll figure something out and be laughed at and ignored just like he was on July 4th concerning fireworks!)
Social Distancing is easy and everyone is already in a mask (mostly!)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am setting up the haunted house in the garage again. I plan to have people regardless of what the state, county, whoever says whatever they do. If they try to cancel TOT'ing, I will be posting up on our neighborhoods Facebook page that I will be open for Halloween. If parents want a place to take their kids because everything else is shut down, they are welcome here for the haunted house and good candy. =)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am setting up the haunted house in the garage again. I plan to have people regardless of what the state, county, whoever says whatever they do. If they try to cancel TOT'ing, I will be posting up on our neighborhoods Facebook page that I will be open for Halloween. If parents want a place to take their kids because everything else is shut down, they are welcome here for the haunted house and good candy. =)
Saw your name (per your comment on the 2003 thread someone resurrected) & thought you were going to post....not another Covid thread!! ha ha ha

·
Registered
368 Posts
Considering the political leanings of my town Halloween will not be cancelled. Kids are in school now. Our town or half heartedly shut down last spring. The Lowes parking lot was PACKED by the first of May. Most people here still don't wear a mask. No one around here is really of a mind to let the government tell them what to do...

My yard haunt is up all month long anyway so people can easily do their drive bys. We have large performances in the yard the week leading up to Halloween, complete with a professional sound and lighting company, 40 or so dancers, and about 400 people each night in attendance. I am not sure that is going to happen as planned but I am running full steam ahead with it ... and if I have to broadcast it live on the internet instead of live then so be it.

As for actual trick or treating... that is so low on my list. We do get a lot of foot traffic that night but mostly by then the whole town has already been to see the house/yard or to the show... so the 31st is not a real priority for me or anyone else. If no one shows up then oh well. I will still be on the porch but will probably buy less candy this time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's a conversation my town is already having in committee but nothing said in public yet. We're a small-medium city surrounded by farmland in a state with a higher rate of new positive cases than some small countries. (y)

City and partner organization leadership is reasonable but I think the most they'll be able to do is publish recommendations and guidelines. Our governor won't let the city do anything more than recommendations and guidelines anyway, so it'll all come down to which parents are comfortable and which houses are comfortable. :censored:

I'm decorating the yard anyway. I'm pretty small scale compared to a lot of you, but we're going to go a little more kid-friendly decorations this year (aka vaguely witchy + pumpkins but nothing too scary). I don't know if my nephews will be TOTing but now that they're a little older we're just planning on making October a fun spooky month for the boys ourselves, making sure that we play games and do crafts etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
No rumours here.
I live in an idiot state (california) run by a complete moron and even that idiot can't see anything wrong with TOTing (but I'm sure he'll figure something out and be laughed at and ignored just like he was on July 4th concerning fireworks!)
Social Distancing is easy and everyone is already in a mask (mostly!)
Live in MI, all I have to say.

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
We are going to try reverse trick or treating. We'll bring the treats to the kids. Still doing the yard up though. I love watching their little faces against the school bus windows.
I'm just going to say back in the 90s I started this 'before it was cool'. I'd dress in costume and wander my parents' negihborhood, handing candy to random ToTs that were not terrified of me. Most the adults there knew me and my Halloween oddities. (the neighborhood we lived in had 0 kids. And I do mean 0. In 5 years, I got 1 singular trick or treater)

Then my son was born.

We started at my parents, and I did my thing there for a bit, and we went over to my in-laws...My in-laws neighborhood was a very close knit community where everyone knew everyone and suddenly there's this weird guy approaching kids on halloween. Cops and hilarity ensued.

Use care how you do this.

·
The Haunting Girl
954 Posts
Nothing official yet. Just mostly speculation at this point with the exception of the socially distanced truck-or-treat at the elementary schools. They started the trunk-or-treat during Hurricane Sandy and they kept doing it in some form or another every year since. Of course we still had regular trick-or-treating too, but who knows what this year will look like. I'm waiting to see how kids going back to school plays out since that will likely be the thing that will influence how Halloween goes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well no longer just rumours, LA County made the first move.
I'm sad to say, I found a little lemonade in the announcement, "no trunk and treats" allowed! NOW if they can find a way to keep the Trunk and Treats dead, when bringing back Trick or Treating, this could be a good thing in the long run. I assumed once school openings moved out of the spotlight, towns would start to focus on 10/31.
So I'm continuing to decorating and planning on a one way path, but still holding off on candy purchase.
I'm hoping, that since its TOTing is on a Saturday and some towns normally limit the hours, they would increase the hours, spreading out the TOTers.

When Sandy hit the East Coast (shorter time frame) each town was making their own call, some early some set TOTing into November. I took down some of my display, put some back up, had no power, but got power back by 10/31, but wasn't going to be home for the November reschedule. Like some of the college football, would you decorate and celebrate Halloween in the Spring? Maybe a different threaded needed. But, not sure yet how I feel.

Jerseyscare

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well no longer just rumours, LA County made the first move.
I'm sad to say, I found a little lemonade in the announcement, "no trunk and treats" allowed! NOW if they can find a way to keep the Trunk and Treats dead, when bringing back Trick or Treating, this could be a good thing in the long run. I assumed once school openings moved out of the spotlight, towns would start to focus on 10/31.
So I'm continuing to decorating and planning on a one way path, but still holding off on candy purchase.
I'm hoping, that since its TOTing is on a Saturday and some towns normally limit the hours, they would increase the hours, spreading out the TOTers.

When Sandy hit the East Coast (shorter time frame) each town was making their own call, some early some set TOTing into November. I took down some of my display, put some back up, had no power, but got power back by 10/31, but wasn't going to be home for the November reschedule. Like some of the college football, would you decorate and celebrate Halloween in the Spring? Maybe a different threaded needed. But, not sure yet how I feel.

Jerseyscare
They reversed it. People complained

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I keep watching my village website for any talk of Halloween, but it’s radio silent. I live in Illinois so I am not exactly hopeful. And while it makes me sad to not have TOTs, I do accept if it’s not safe then it’s just not safe.

I had originally felt very strongly about putting out all our goodies regardless. It’s still Halloween right? But, as time has passed, if it’s not happening I plan to not decorate the yard. Yes, I decorate for me cause my big, pumpkin-shaped heart loves Halloween, but the interaction with the kids and families just seriously warms my soul. If that’s not happening, I’ll hold my ideas for another year and hope things look better in 2021.

I really hope we all get some sort of amazing Halloween. Happy Haunting!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts