Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought my first projector (NET MT1060) in November 2016 from a well known auction site. Yes it was too late for Halloween 2016 but I was recommended a certain model and it took time for one to appear. I bought AtmosFX "Bone Chillers" as a test and have discovered that projections are a lot of fun. :D

I now want to investigate projection mapping of our house for Halloween (and possibly other holidays). Apart from needing another projector (mainly because I need a short throw projector but it would be nice to have better ANSI lumens than the NEC and also to have 1920x1080 native resolution to future proof things) I know that I need some decent software as well.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to projection mapping but I want to be able to do the whole thing from starting with a 3D trace to the final thing with decent effects like the house crumbling down, lightening flashes, character animation, etc.

I have looked at Adobe for Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects as Adobe is the professional choice and should be able to do anything I want (as long as I can learn how to do it :rolleyes:) however whilst I don't mind paying a few hundred for a decent used projector I think the prices that Adobe charge for their software (i.e. between £25 and £45 per month which is between £300 and £540 a year) is a lot of money for something that is on display for a few days a year. I'm not a professional - although I would like to be a talented amateur. ;)

So on the above requirements, can anybody recommend software alternatives to Adobe's offerings. My main computer is a modern MacBook Pro, although I do have access to a Windows 7 laptop. Also if software is open source (i.e. free) then so much the better! :cool:

Many thanks,

·
Registered
668 Posts
While adobe products are great powerful tools, they would be overkill for the editing and tracing part of mapping. After effects will be awesome for creating your own content though. For the most part, I used a free "tracing tool"(screenmarker) and my editing software of choice was "serif movie plus". I didn't get to add to my tutorials since I have made them due to taking on a full time job in construction, but I do have a tutorial on here. It covers pretty much the basics that you'll need to know. Link is in my signature.

·
Registered
22 Posts
a short throw projector is definitely the way to go! I use a BenQ 720p short throw HT projector. And it is able to handle my whole house and maintain its brightness.

As far as software goes, I agree that adobe software will be great for content (once you learn it) but not the best choice for mapping.
I use Façade Signage. It's very intuitive and easy to use. Simply trace your zones and drop in the content.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Icepick, Hearse drive, and victor-eyd thanks for your help and comments

While adobe products are great powerful tools, they would be overkill for the editing and tracing part of mapping. After effects will be awesome for creating your own content though. For the most part, I used a free "tracing tool"(screenmarker) and my editing software of choice was "serif movie plus".
Yes the Adobe products are expensive and I guess would take time to learn (as would most editing software). My wife and I use GoPros for holiday movies so I might be able to justify the expense or see if I can get some previous and thus cheaper versions.

I didn't get to add to my tutorials since I have made them due to taking on a full time job in construction, but I do have a tutorial on here. It covers pretty much the basics that you'll need to know. Link is in my signature.
Your tutorials here and on YouTube have been my main source of information. You are a great tutor. I look forward to further tutorials.

a short throw projector is definitely the way to go! I use a BenQ 720p short throw HT projector. And it is able to handle my whole house and maintain its brightness.
Thanks for the advice and recommendation about the BenQ, it ’s available on Amazon UK so I’ll have look on eBay for a cheaper one.

As far as software goes, I agree that adobe software will be great for content (once you learn it) but not the best choice for mapping.
I use Façade Signage. It's very intuitive and easy to use. Simply trace your zones and drop in the content.
Although I still have my Windows laptop, I’m trying to use my Mac for everything and it looks like Façade Signage is Windows only.

I've used this website to check out some projection mapping software. Right now I'm trying to find time learn heavyM

http://projection-mapping.org/
Yes, I’d found it a few days ago and it will be one that I will keep an eye on.

Many thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts