Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come seen both of these props used in some of the haunts around me but am not sure how to build either one of thes props (since they are either expensive or i missed the auction).

The First prop that i have been looking is the half man illusion that is on youtube ( now i know sombody created a big version but i like this version because it is small). The size and setup of this is just perfect for my display. I also like this because it looks easy for me to store

Here is the video:

The second prop i am tryin to find instruction is: (i dont know the name but i will describe and show a picture from place that sells it) a flat table like thing, were their is either bones or body part arange to look like bodys. Theirs a whole in the table and a person head sits poping out of the hole to make it like the persons still alive

Heres the picture:

Any instruction or ideas would be a great help

·
Banned
524 Posts
They are both done with mirrors. Someone on here built one and there was a thread on it just a couple of weeks ago. The first one is just a simple box as you see with two mirrors that join to make a triangle point at the front. The joint is covered with the spin or whatever you want to use for the body.

The second one is done the same with a mirror as well. The top of the mirror is at the front and it angles to the back of the table. The mirror reflects the legs and makes it look like nothing is under it.

You have to place the mirrors just right and make sure no one can get close enough to it reflect themselfs in the mirror so they can see how it is done.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
I saw one like the second picture at Transworld and they did it very simply. They had a sling hanging just under the table for the actor to lay in. They hid everything by just having lower side rails on the table. The one I saw was like a life sized "Operation" game. They had a large pair of tweezers that you used to pull body parts out and if you touched the sides an alarm went off. It was very cool. Looked like it would have been a lot of fun for a home haunt. :)

Here is something along those lines that you could easily build at home.

Haunters Hangout Merlin's Trick Table

·
Registered
190 Posts
First one looks like the back is just angled and there is a hole for the actor to stand through. Should be simple to build.

Don

·
The Grated Pumpkin
1,426 Posts
Here's how the second table is done in a haunt situation:

Frosty nailed it on the first one... mirrors won't work* on that design because the spinal column reflects itself onto the mirrors when they intersect behind it. It does work well for spilled guts, because of the asymmetry of said guts. Notice the big panels on either side of the illusion in front... it's necessary to keep the extended torso from being seen at extreme angles.

One thing that has always ruined the spilled guts/spine illusion is the lack of support for the bodies. Most would benefit from the arms being shackled from chains on either side, or else it looks like a guy floating/balancing on a column of guts or bones.

...and, it should say 'placed', not 'place' in the explanation, but it's too damned late now! :p

I hope this helps.

*EDIT: disregard this and read further... Unorthodox explains this and shoots my theory down.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I saw one like the second picture at Transworld and they did it very simply. They had a sling hanging just under the table for the actor to lay in. They hid everything by just having lower side rails on the table. The one I saw was like a life sized "Operation" game. They had a large pair of tweezers that you used to pull body parts out and if you touched the sides an alarm went off. It was very cool. Looked like it would have been a lot of fun for a home haunt. :)

Here is something along those lines that you could easily build at home.

Haunters Hangout Merlin's Trick Table
Funny that you mentioned the life size operation game. A dutch tv show with a guy that grants crazy wishes, granted a wish for an audience member who wanted a real operation game. He too made a life size operation board and then in each body area there were organs....real organs lol And everytime she hit the side, fake blood squirted out. Too funny. I remember thinking at the time, that would be fun for halloween!

MsM

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Here we are. 3 years ago!

My problem was finding a way to make it collapsable, and obtaining the mirrors.

Anyhow:

How the illusion works:

My original plans, I think the size was overkill, but I was thinking with my own large body back in the back there.

My $5 model:

You can see the flaw in the back wall because I just had these mirrors leaning in place, not secured.

Been meaning to go back to it eventually, thus the model's still on the workbench. Just never come across the right size mirrors, and I'm too lazy to custom order them.

I disagree that the spine would refllect in the mirrors. Notice out the spine curves forward just before the pelvis bone. That should be enough to keep the pelvis out of the mirror.

You essentially can mark an X on the floor with such an illusion. The pole would be at the center of the X, the mirrors reflect either side of the X, the actor is hidden BEHIND the X, and you are free to place whatever you want in the front grid of the X to obscure the illusion and make people think it CAN'T be mirrors. But, the forced perspective is critical. In fact, if you look close at the second photo, you can see exactly where the camera's flash is reflecting. Anything in FRONT of that won't reflect. The 2 panels they have on the front of their box would let you crowd the mirrors even more than my box by further restricting your perspective, even.

·
The Grated Pumpkin
1,426 Posts
I disagree that the spine would refllect in the mirrors. Notice out the spine curves forward just before the pelvis bone. That should be enough to keep the pelvis out of the mirror.
Good point. I took a freeze frame from the video, at the end where his arms cross, and did a little dodge/burn on the area near his arms... looks like a mirror line begins right there. Mea Culpa! It would also account for those big flaps on either side as well... to keep the pelvic bone reflection from creeping into view at too extreme an angle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts