Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like AtmosFX stuff but they are just so limited. Is there ANY other company that is making digital decoration content for projectors?

Scarab

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is in NO WAY an insult to you Rich B, but EVERY ONE of those sites look like beginner/amateur hour compared to AtmosFX. WHY ARE THERE NO OTHER DIGITAL DECORATIONS COMPANIES worth a crap!?!?!?!?!? Seems like a ripe market for some industrious graphic artists!

I appreciate you providing the list but it appears that AtmosFX is really the only game in town :(

Scarab

·
Registered
13,902 Posts
Did you look at Hi-Rez Designs? ( https://www.hi-rezdesigns.com/store/home.php?cat=249 ) I think his DVDs/Digital Downloads are very high quality, professional videos and he's been adding new videos over the years (Hi-Rez is on Rich's list btw and Nic posts here on HF on occasion) but of course as with anything it all depends on what you are looking for. In general a lot of the videos being sold are done for family use not professional haunts.

What exactly are you looking for?

Maybe something like these for "talking heads" from Nightfrights, but expect to pay more.

http://nightfrights.com/mirror-videos/

http://nightfrights.com/manimation-videos/

http://nightfrights.com/singing-bust-videos/

They do voice overs as well 15 seconds/$75. http://nightfrights.com/haunt-and-escape-room-audio/

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still not AtmosFX quality. And I might pay $100 for a static prop and a face projection but NOT $1,800!!! Just nuts!

Scarab

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just resigned to the fact that NO ONE ELSE is doing what AtmosFX is doing. Sad. I like competition but they really just don't have any which leaves US with few options. Never a good thing.

Scarab

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm just resigned to the fact that NO ONE ELSE is doing what AtmosFX is doing. Sad. I like competition but they really just don't have any which leaves US with few options. Never a good thing.

Scarab
we can only hope that as digital decorations grow in popularity that consumer demand will create a need for competition and alternates to AtmosFX on that same or better quality.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree. Night Frights is a better quality than most, but super expensive. It's the same bust actor for all scenes, which really cuts down on the originality. I like the idea of the "manimation" but far too expensive.

Still not AtmosFX quality. And I might pay $100 for a static prop and a face projection but NOT $1,800!!! Just nuts!

Scarab

·
Registered
13,902 Posts
Not sure what makes AtmosFX a higher professional quality product in your mind than something from Night Frights but whatever. I believe Night Frights has been doing their face projection videos longer than AtmosFX has had their 3DFX Form videos. Didn't think you'd like the pro industry pricing. It is geared toward professional haunts who are charging an admission fee that helps defray the cost. What exactly is your budget for video effects?

Apart from LOUDLY lamenting about what's out there...or not...on two threads that I've seen your posts, you still haven't said what you are looking for exactly. How about some guidance. People don't want to feel they're wasting their time trying to help. And it does sound like you've given up finding anything.

Here's my last suggestion. Some videos similar to AtmosFX's Bone Chillers and other titles that you can buy as single downloads or purchase as USB sticks. They are from a company called ProductWorks who sells the TotalHomeFX projectors. They started branching out into their own produced videos last year and added some new titles this year. https://www.totalhomefx.com/brands/window-fx/

·
Registered
530 Posts
Actually, Scarab did specify what the issue was in one of these threads. For me, the issue is low frame rates and low quality polygons in the shapes (I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but it escapes me). Some of these look like they were made on a circa 1999 computer.

The stuff form Night Frights looks on par with AtmosFX, in terms of "believable" imagery, but obviously it's price points are geared towards the pro haunter.

The TotalHomeFX stuff in link below looks good to me, as far as high frame rates, details on movement (candle flicker, hair, etc.), and audio. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it before.

Not sure what makes AtmosFX a higher professional quality product in your mind than something from Night Frights but whatever. I believe Night Frights has been doing their face projection videos longer than AtmosFX has had their 3DFX Form videos. Didn't think you'd like the pro industry pricing. It is geared toward professional haunts who are charging an admission fee that helps defray the cost. What exactly is your budget for video effects?

Apart from LOUDLY lamenting about what's out there...or not...on two threads that I've seen your posts, you still haven't said what you are looking for exactly. How about some guidance. People don't want to feel they're wasting their time trying to help. And it does sound like you've given up finding anything.

Here's my last suggestion. Some videos similar to AtmosFX's Bone Chillers and other titles that you can buy as single downloads or purchase as USB sticks. They are from a company called ProductWorks who sells the TotalHomeFX projectors. They started branching out into their own produced videos last year and added some new titles this year. https://www.totalhomefx.com/brands/window-fx/

·
Registered
13,902 Posts
Actually, Scarab did specify what the issue was in one of these threads. For me, the issue is low frame rates and low quality polygons in the shapes (I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but it escapes me). Some of these look like they were made on a circa 1999 computer.

The stuff form Night Frights looks on par with AtmosFX, in terms of "believable" imagery, but obviously it's price points are geared towards the pro haunter.

The TotalHomeFX stuff in link below looks good to me, as far as high frame rates, details on movement (candle flicker, hair, etc.), and audio. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it before.

I haven't purchased any of the TotalHomeFX videos off their site yet, but plan to download a few later this year. Can't comment on using them yet. I will be setting up one of my projectors for my monster movie drive-in theme this year and pulled some old movie trailers off online already. Takes some tweaking but the B&W trailer will work for what I'll need which is something quick as kids won't spend much time watching it anyway, just to set the stage for the rest. I have thought about projecting the dancing skeletons from Bone Chillers and maybe add one of the THFX tango ones during the weekend before and leading up to Halloween to peak some interest from passerbys. Similar themes so would work well together and I think people will enjoy watching it. Right now trying to get through things I need for halloween night. I do have to say that one of my first projection dvds that I used when it first came out was from Mark Gervais who did Hallowindows, and the video all the kids absolutely loved and I got asked about seeing the most was the green roving eye. That was early, early projection material, maybe 2006, and I always thought his quality and creative subject matter were great. He did later release the material at a higher resolution and then figured out how to offer it in downloads. So kind of have to take into account some of this material has been out there for a while and yes maybe not the highest video quality. Still has its usefulness depending on how you work with it.

As for this thread started by OP I did ask what he was looking for since it's was a generic request he made here and didn't get a reply on that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I totally see your point. There really isn't another company like atmos right now. atmos caters to the home haunter while the other higher quality creators cater to a more professional type of haunt with those super high prices. And atmos is good looking enough to use in a professional haunt as well as an everyday household. The total home animations aren't bad at all, i might actually think about buying a few.

It's this reason that i hope to dive in to this my self. i made a few animations last year, nothing in the line of atmos but i'm hopping that if i continue practicing and researching that i might get up there one day. I just have to invest the time and money to get there, that's the hard part.

Here's the thread, nothing super special yet but its a start.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/147252-3d-animations-projections.html

·
Registered
13,902 Posts
Very nice Kindo. Interesting to see your progression. Problem with doing this on your own is the software is expensive, the computer power needs to be there, especially for rendering time, and lots of storage space is needed as the res increases, etc. Then there's your design time too. You can see why this isn't something that a lot of people are out there doing. Many, many years ago I played with Renderman and some other 3D modeling software and since it was really a hobby project, decided after a while it was beyond what I wanted to put into it. DMinor did a very nice projection a few years back for his own haunt, and he offered downloads to members here for a very nominal fee. It was of a vintage ghost maid and happened to fit perfectly with my theme that halloween so was delighted to have it to use. Looked great in our upstairs window. Sure it was more of a labor of love and gift of sharing than a money maker for him. That's also the problem in that for it to sell and make it worth one's time, the content needs to be rather universal in appeal.

For anyone who can't find content for what you want, here's a suggestion that can still have some visual impact and uses a projector and screen. Let's say you can't find a projection you like for a werewolf but you have a prop of it you love. Set the screen up in your window/doorway and inside place and position your prop near it. Then with the projector placed some distance from him (experiment) run a flash screen projection that loops. Hallowindows has one that's free: http://www.hallowindow.com/products?tag=Treats The effect will be like lightning inside your house but revealing the presence of a shadow monster lurking inside. The preview on the Hallowindow site of this clip illustrates this nicely. I think silhouetting like this can be very effective in a dark area. Add other prop accessories to the prop like the shape of a moon, fake tree, for more visual interest. If you can import the video into a program like iMovie for example, pretty sure you can modify it to space out or slow down the flash effects if you want more "dark" time than is on the original file. Been a while since I've played with iMovie so sure someone can comment on doing this with software.

BTW the Hallowindow "Bright Flashes" download includes a HD wide screen version file as well. It's an mp4 (640x480, 5.1MB and 1280x720, 8MB files).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I haven't purchased any of the TotalHomeFX videos off their site yet, but plan to download a few later this year. Can't comment on using them yet. I will be setting up one of my projectors for my monster movie drive-in theme this year and pulled some old movie trailers off online already. Takes some tweaking but the B&W trailer will work for what I'll need which is something quick as kids won't spend much time watching it anyway, just to set the stage for the rest. I have thought about projecting the dancing skeletons from Bone Chillers and maybe add one of the THFX tango ones during the weekend before and leading up to Halloween to peak some interest from passerbys. Similar themes so would work well together and I think people will enjoy watching it. Right now trying to get through things I need for halloween night. I do have to say that one of my first projection dvds that I used when it first came out was from Mark Gervais who did Hallowindows, and the video all the kids absolutely loved and I got asked about seeing the most was the green roving eye. That was early, early projection material, maybe 2006, and I always thought his quality and creative subject matter were great. He did later release the material at a higher resolution and then figured out how to offer it in downloads. So kind of have to take into account some of this material has been out there for a while and yes maybe not the highest video quality. Still has its usefulness depending on how you work with it.

As for this thread started by OP I did ask what he was looking for since it's was a generic request he made here and didn't get a reply on that.
Someone gave me the TotalHomeFX projector the other day that comes with pre-loaded videos. Personally, they can't compare to AtmosfearFX's videos and are really just a rip off of them. They're too cheesy for my taste. The videos I have also do not offer any options such as window mode, TV mode, etc. They have a similar pumpkin video where the pumpkins make faces and noises, but it has a background so you're not able to project over pumpkins like with AFX's videos.

Scarab - not sure how you can say that the Hi-Rez Designs stuff isn't up to AFX's quality. In my opinion, I'd have to say theirs are better in terms of detail, variety, length of the scenes, etc. The only things that are different are their higher prices and their products aren't really made for window or projection material type applications.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi-Rez isn't bad, perhaps the closest to AtmosFX. Spectral Illusions isn't that bad either. Night Frights is dreadful and is in NO WAY what I would consider "professional" at all. If that's all I got for $1,800 i would demand a refund. I think a $9.99 AtmosFX digital download and a $59.00 3DFX form are 100% better quality and exceedingly better value than anything I saw on Night Frights site. This is totally just MY opinion. You can take it or leave it.

Since I've worked as an IT Professional for 25 years, and I play video games in 4K on a 4K TV, I can see the quality of renderings of AtmosFX, at least as compared to ANYONE else. I want REALISM, not cheesy 1990s graphics.

Primer for those who may not know.....
One thing I DO understand is the limitation of projection resolution. First, you have to understand that when a projector says it projects a Maximum Resolution of 1280 x 720 that means it's capable of potentially displaying that (but probably never will). Native Resolution is the REAL resolution (that's why they mostly hide those numbers. Same reason with stereo wattage Max vs. RMS). The second thing to know is that the low number is the number you're going to be displaying at. Most projectors that actually have a REAL Native Resolution of 1920 x 1080 command insane $$$$ to buy. THESE TRUE NATIVE RESOLUTION PROJECTORS OF 1920x1080 ARE THE ONLY PROJECTORS CAPABLE OF DISPLAYING A DIGITAL DECORATION IN ALL IT'S 1080p GLORY! Otherwise, if you have a projector with a Native resolution of 800x480, you are ONLY EVER CAPABLE of displaying that 1080p resolution digital decoration at 480p. AtmosFX creates all their stuff in 1080p but few (unless you have the coin) are ever able to display that. If you watch the digital decorations on a computer (newer computer) or laptop it will probably be displayed at the intended 1080p since most new monitors and graphics cards display that or much higher nowadays.

I'm not getting into ANSI LUMENS or any of the other stuff.

Scarab

·
Registered
530 Posts
Your stuff looks good and it's interesting to see the progression.

I totally see your point. There really isn't another company like atmos right now. atmos caters to the home haunter while the other higher quality creators cater to a more professional type of haunt with those super high prices. And atmos is good looking enough to use in a professional haunt as well as an everyday household. The total home animations aren't bad at all, i might actually think about buying a few.

It's this reason that i hope to dive in to this my self. i made a few animations last year, nothing in the line of atmos but i'm hopping that if i continue practicing and researching that i might get up there one day. I just have to invest the time and money to get there, that's the hard part.

Here's the thread, nothing super special yet but its a start.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/147252-3d-animations-projections.html

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi-Rez isn't bad, perhaps the closest to AtmosFX. Spectral Illusions isn't that bad either. Night Frights is dreadful and is in NO WAY what I would consider "professional" at all. If that's all I got for $1,800 i would demand a refund. I think a $9.99 AtmosFX digital download and a $59.00 3DFX form are 100% better quality and exceedingly better value than anything I saw on Night Frights site. This is totally just MY opinion. You can take it or leave it.

Since I've worked as an IT Professional for 25 years, and I play video games in 4K on a 4K TV, I can see the quality of renderings of AtmosFX, at least as compared to ANYONE else. I want REALISM, not cheesy 1990s graphics.

Primer for those who may not know.....
One thing I DO understand is the limitation of projection resolution. First, you have to understand that when a projector says it projects a Maximum Resolution of 1280 x 720 that means it's capable of potentially displaying that (but probably never will). Native Resolution is the REAL resolution (that's why they mostly hide those numbers. Same reason with stereo wattage Max vs. RMS). The second thing to know is that the low number is the number you're going to be displaying at. Most projectors that actually have a REAL Native Resolution of 1920 x 1080 command insane $$$$ to buy. THESE TRUE NATIVE RESOLUTION PROJECTORS OF 1920x1080 ARE THE ONLY PROJECTORS CAPABLE OF DISPLAYING A DIGITAL DECORATION IN ALL IT'S 1080p GLORY! Otherwise, if you have a projector with a Native resolution of 800x480, you are ONLY EVER CAPABLE of displaying that 1080p resolution digital decoration at 480p. AtmosFX creates all their stuff in 1080p but few (unless you have the coin) are ever able to display that. If you watch the digital decorations on a computer (newer computer) or laptop it will probably be displayed at the intended 1080p since most new monitors and graphics cards display that or much higher nowadays.

I'm not getting into ANSI LUMENS or any of the other stuff.

Scarab
I agree with you that Night Frights' quality isn't there for the price. I hate to say it, but given that most companies out there are targeting home haunters and not professional attractions or the home haunters that have elaborate walk-thrus or even charge admission, we may all be hard pressed to find better quality projections because it all comes down to price.

I think AtmosfearFX's prices are reasonable and I admit that I probably wouldn't pay much more than those prices for even a better quality video (resolution or the overall look of it). I don't use the same projections each year so I personally wouldn't pay a lot for something I'd use once. I'd probably use the projection again a few years later, but I still don't think I'd find it worth it enough for me to shell out more money for it.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Why complain when you don't say what it is you are looking for.

What IS it SPECIFICALLY that you are looking for that AtmosFX or Night Frights or Spectral Illusions doesn't have for you, Scarab? Between all three of those high-end companies, I'd say the bases are pretty well covered.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why is it complaining? I was merely stating a fact that there are only 1, maybe 2 high end companies producing graphics and decorations that don't look like crap produced by a child in the 1990s. I was just trying to gain information that maybe other people knew of digital decoration companies that I wasn't aware of that produced a great product.

If you don't like this thread, don't post on this thread. Stop trolling.

Scarab

1 - 20 of 20 Posts