Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-

I wasn't sure where to post this on this forum, so I thought I'd play it safe and put it in the "anything goes" section. Let me know if there is a better place to be asking this.

I am running a performance piece that involves performers wearing latex masks. There are a limited amount of masks so the performers have to share them. It is a 12-hour performance so the performers work in shifts and hand off the masks to the next shift. These are latex masks that inevitably get covered in sweat from the performer, so we sanitize them before handing them to the next performer. The problem is that we have been sanitizing the masks with rubbing alcohol, which I found out (the hard way), disintegrates latex.

I've searched online for a solution that will sanitize the masks without hurting the latex and I have not found one. I've read that to clean them you must use a mild soap and water but I don't think that will sanitize the mask. Plus, it has to be something that can be done fairly quickly between shifts.

The performance is done out on a field with no access to running water.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to clean the masks? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide springs to mind. Environmentally friendly, readily available, cheap. It's extremely old school/out of style these days, but given your limitations worth considering.

Good old bleach and water is a viable option as well. 1 cup/gallon, IIRC.

These SHOULDN'T do anything to latex, but I haven't exactly done extensive testing.

Obviously, wanting a way to dry these options thuroughly before putting them on actors and bleaching their hair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts