Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a corn maze in my front yard and am going to do it again this year, with improvements. Is there any interest in a tutorial showing how it is accomplished? If interest I will provide the details and will document this year's build with photos and specifics on construction.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, sorry for the late start on this but life has gotten in the way and I have lost a couple of weekends. I will post what I have so far, as well as the next steps in the process. Post any questions.

Step 1: Measure your area thoroughly so that you know how much you have to work with. I cannot reiterate how important this is in planning.
Step 2: Transfer your measurements onto paper and make a template of your area.
20161016_204810.jpg

20161016_204855.jpg

Step 3: I take what I have and lay out the proposed path onto my yard. This year it happened to be branches from a tree I had cut down but hey, they were accessible and easy to move around if once down I needed to adjust anything, which did happen.

20160925_120650.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Step 4: Once I was happy with the layout it was time to begin installing the "T" posts. I install them at the entrances and at the ends of each corner and wall of corn were there is a "U" turn as these areas require more sturdy structure as they take more abuse and will be hit or brushed up by those moving thru the maze. In between the "T" posts is where I put the 2x2x4 posts roughly 5 feet apart for the intermediate support for the corn stalks on the longer runs. Anything longer than 5 feet makes the corn really floppy and not want to stay upright.

View attachment 358769

View attachment 358777

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I should post a materials list, huh? I have never done one of these so I apologize for the disorganization with this.

1) 7 foot "T" posts (I purchased mine from Home Depot as the were the most reasonably priced) for the ends, sharp turns, and corners for main maze support. I chose 7 foot so that I would have a 6 foot high support after they were in the ground.
2) 2x2x4ft wood posts cut to a point at one end. I made mine by cutting 2x4x8 pieces of wood in half both ways to make 4-2x2x4 posts.
3) LOTS of heavy duty twine. I was lucky enough to get a supply from the farmer I got the corn from last year so I cannot advise as to where to get this from.
4) Corn stalks. Most areas have farmers that grown corn for either consumption of the corn ears by humans or for deer corn for hunters. Depending on where you get from it may be free or may be a small charge. You could also ask around local haunts to see if they grown their fields full then cut it down or plant based on their layout for that year. If they cut down the stalks then they might offer to you for free. I pay a little bit for mine but the guy delivers on his trailer and lets me have it until I am done harvesting the ears off the stalks for his deer corn business. I have yet to come up with a formula for how much corn nets a certain amount of feet of wall. It really depends on the health of the stalks. You can never have too much though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once the wooden posts are up, take the string and tie it to an end post on a straight run and then as you go down loop it around each wooden post, then the other end "T" post, then come back around the opposite way, looping around the wooden posts along the way. Do one about 6 inches above the ground and then another higher up about at the top of the wooden posts. This will create a channel to put the stalks in. 20161019_080217.jpg

20161019_080230.jpg

20161019_080244.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The trick when you are putting the stalks in is to twist the string to create pressure and pinch the stalk into place. Alternate twisting forward and backward. It will get really tight toward the end and that's fine. That is why you don't want to get the string too tight when first running it around the posts. It will tighten up on its own when you twist the string around the stalks. Here is the process I described and how it looks up close. 20161021_170126.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts