Halloween Forum banner

Any ideas/tips on Making a semi-realistic looking non-functional Crossbow???

Static: 
1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  doutcha 
#1 ·
hey guys,

For my birthday im going to a horror/gothic themed restaurant, we're all going in fancy dress and i fancy my hand at being Van Helsing, a kinda counteract to the horror stuff there :)

basically i want a crossbow, i dont own one and want a model of one to take with me... nothing huge or fancy, dont really need it remotely functional either to be honest :)

any tips, ideas would be MOST welcome!!

ps: im on a 16-17day schedule/time limit! :eek: i know im crazy!

pps: something akin to this would do fine: http://school.ghs.edu/Shakespeare 06/07'/Elizabethan Homepage magnus and grant/Weapons/crossbow.jpg

#2 ·
Wood (2X4, 2X6 / maybe a soft wood to make it lighter if I had the budget), Jigsaw, sand paper, Screws, Leather to cover the screws, some light weight wire / heavy duty fishing line for the string, and one of those kits the guy with the tutorial on weapons was using or just a dark stain. Sorry I dont really have a step by step, but I think if I was to make a replica crossbow, that's the stuff I would start with.

#3 ·
The biggest problem is making it not functional. The best bet would be to cut the bow pre-curved and thick enough it cannot bend. Then just run some jute or cotton twine between the two ends. You could also leave off the string for safety.

Be warned, if the bow does work, and you set it down, odds are someone will find something to launch.

The release can be made from round or square stock. Heat it with a torch to make bending easier. If it does not need to function you can just glue it into the body with a steel reinforced epoxy.

Also, before you try to make this in a hurry, be sure the restaurant will let you bring it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.