Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I made a foam mausoleum backdrop to hide the multi-tone bricks on the front of my house. A lot of people didn't know what it was (?). I put drippy candles on the window ledge above it but was thinking of putting small shelves between some of the top drawers and putting them on it. I also thought of making a long 3D lighted sign above it across the bottom of the windows. I'm trying to come up with a name for it. I would like to include the word mausoleum or something explanatory. If anyone on here has any ideas either humorous or non I'd really appreciate the input. I like to move and change things around a little but here's an idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Any chance you can move it up in front of the windows? And then add some signage over top of it. It gets kind of lost under the windows, so maybe your audience just thought it was part of the house? I love it - you did a great job. With some up lighting, you'll be able to see the names so I would think that some of the adults at least would know what it is.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always heard the entire building is a mausoleum although I do also have the single one as you can see in my picture. I've heard the drawers referred to as both crypts or sometimes a sarcophagus as I think you said. I could be wrong though and stand to be corrected. I did carve individual names on them but was thinking of a name for the entire so-called building. I do appreciate the input.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Nice cemetary layout Chloe. A few visual clues would probably help. But then again probably not a lot of people these days have even been in a mausoleum so hard for them to pick up on what it is. As I understand it cremation is gaining a lot of ground from traditional casket burials (gaining ground..haha..a kind of joke there!). My husband's family has a number of left over cemetary plots passed down through a few generations and despite the fact they probably cost someone a bunch of dollars at one time, they don't seem to have any real value these days as we were told more people are going the cremation route. Plus plots don't mean you own the ground, just that you have a reserved space to be interred. Ground belongs to the cemetary. Just some weird funeral info we found out recently I thought I'd throw in...Anyway....

OK, how about "Eternally Yours Mausoleum"... a resting place for your bones (descriptive for those clueless folk)...or....rest in comfort for eternity....if you want a tagline.

Have you thought about suspending rose vases along the side of some of the columns of drawers or chambers? Dollar Tree has those plastic floral holders for cemetaries that might work. They are green (or white depending on their inventory) and I would spray paint them gold or something that would show up against the wall and add a flower or two. Or Maybe adding a little ledge piece to be a votive holder with an LED flickering tea light below a drawer would help. Family members would come buy and light candles for their deceased member. It would also help illuminate some of the names on the vaults so do double duty.

Here's a link to the DT cemetary vases I mentioned above for flower holders. I'd cut off the stake on the bottom since they won't be going in the ground.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I've always heard the entire building is a mausoleum although I do also have the single one as you can see in my picture. I've heard the drawers referred to as both crypts or sometimes a sarcophagus as I think you said. I could be wrong though and stand to be corrected. I did carve individual names on them but was thinking of a name for the entire so-called building. I do appreciate the input.
Sorry I can't see the names in the photo likely due to the low resolution requirement for posting pics. I tend to think of a mausoleum as a building like the one on the right (looking at the photo), either way we are speaking about the same thing! :) I agree with GoS a sign calling it "XXX Mausoleum" or something similar would really help set it off. Cemetery/funeral adornments will also let people know dead people are kept here! It may help to make the drawers less uniform (again maybe they are, but photo doesn't pick that up), chambers are added over the span of many decades some drawer facades will be in very bad shape, others a little "fresher". ;)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trex, I want to know if it's not called a mausoleum before I make the sign. I'd prefer not to look as naive as I really am. Heck..I just looked at my posting title and thought wow that's really brilliant. I can't even spell ideas. I should have made the drawers a little messier, crooked, and such when I did it but I'm kind of anal and was bent on making sure I didn't carve out a bunch of 14" drawer fronts and then get to the bottom and have 8" left over.
GOS, the flower urns are a really great idea that I will definitely use.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
It looks to me like a wall of crypts in a Mausoleum. I guess its just called an outdoor crypt in a cemetary if its not in a structure though. When I was a kid our family did a few of the Hollywood tours and I remember going to Forest Lawn Mausoleum where Marilyn Monroe among stars were buried. Here's a link that might help:

http://www.paranormal-encounters.com/wp/where-the-stars-are-buried-forest-lawn/

http://personalfinance.costhelper.com/mausoleum.html

I can still see a sign for a mausoleum working though.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Ha I am no expert either believe me. By definition a mausoleum is a free standing structure (building) that encloses a dead person or people. A crypt is a stone chamber below a church or in a building that contains coffins or sarcophagi. My take ~ a mausoleum is a structure built to specifically hold remains, nothing else. A crypt is part of a building that can have other purposes (like a church or castle).

As far as the weathering the unique chambers, it is not too late to distress random drawers by adding cracks, deep dents and paint. Then build on that with flower urns, candles, or maybe some moss and you will start to customize each specific drawer.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
This was from a funeral site on various types of Mausoleum crypts:

Types Of Mausoleums

There are three main types of mausoleums in a cemetery:

Indoor: A shared space where the crypts are located indoors
Garden/outdoor: A shared space where the crypts are located outdoors
Private mausoleums: Private spaces, where the crypts can be located indoors or outdoors

I'd say yours is a garden/outdoor mausoleum. If you rearrange your cemetary you could provide a bench in front and have a mourner there. If you have GR's Helga, she'd be nice with her folded hands like in prayer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts