Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work is having a soup event, and I would love to see some recipes for some of your favorite lHalloween soups for the crockpot! Thanks in advance!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,801 Posts
Not sure about using a slowcooker/crockpot, but I LOVE making Curried Pumpkin (or squash) soup.

Mine is similar to the above, but I substitute a LARGE can (or two if you like thicker soups) of pureed pumpkin (not the one with the spices/pie stuff, the pureed pumpkin ONLY ones). I also don't use majoram or celery seed as I use broth with lots of celery/onion already seasoning it, and I add in a touch of curry powder to taste, and usually end up adding more cayenne than most would consider but we love it in my house). Oh! And as long as you add the cream cheese you could substitute the whipping cream with regular 2%-whole milk.

I've never made this strictly in a slow cooker, so my suggestion would be to saute the onion/carrot/garlic as called for in the recipe linked (make sure to cook them so they're super soft so they break down in soup or use a stick blender once completed soup is cooled if you want it perfectly pureed), dump into crock and add in canned pumpkin spices/broth, cook on high an hour, then reduce to low, stir in milk and cream cheese till blended, adjust seasonings to taste. Do let it simmer/warm for 10-15 minutes before serving. Check/stir it up every 10 or so minutes for the first 30 minutes to make sure it's not too thick and add more broth if so. That's the only part I'd be concerned about.

Letting it cool and then reheating is awesome - it gets better overnight tho. ;)

I've made it with roasted butternut tho, and it is lovely that way as well. Just I'm usually really good at scoring canned pumpkin for super cheap (found 24 oz cans for 30¢ each last month!) and most squash soups can be interchangeable with pumpkin too (also a squash!)

You won't have to roast your own squash/pumpkin that way. I use homemade broth to add better flavor. I save chicken/turkey bones and celery and onion ends in a freezer bag until it's full and then dump them in my crock, add water to get near top and cook on high which is a boil for my slow cooker for 24 hours, strain out bones/goo and let broth cool and freeze in quart containers so I always have some on hand. It is SOOOO much better than anything you could get store bought and added bonus is that stuff is free and would have been tossed in the trash.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about using a slowcooker/crockpot, but I LOVE making Curried Pumpkin (or squash) soup.

Mine is similar to the above, but I substitute a LARGE can (or two if you like thicker soups) of pureed pumpkin (not the one with the spices/pie stuff, the pureed pumpkin ONLY ones). I also don't use majoram or celery seed as I use broth with lots of celery/onion already seasoning it, and I add in a touch of curry powder to taste, and usually end up adding more cayenne than most would consider but we love it in my house). Oh! And as long as you add the cream cheese you could substitute the whipping cream with regular 2%-whole milk.

I've never made this strictly in a slow cooker, so my suggestion would be to saute the onion/carrot/garlic as called for in the recipe linked (make sure to cook them so they're super soft so they break down in soup or use a stick blender once completed soup is cooled if you want it perfectly pureed), dump into crock and add in canned pumpkin spices/broth, cook on high an hour, then reduce to low, stir in milk and cream cheese till blended, adjust seasonings to taste. Do let it simmer/warm for 10-15 minutes before serving. Check/stir it up every 10 or so minutes for the first 30 minutes to make sure it's not too thick and add more broth if so. That's the only part I'd be concerned about.

Letting it cool and then reheating is awesome - it gets better overnight tho. ;)

I've made it with roasted butternut tho, and it is lovely that way as well. Just I'm usually really good at scoring canned pumpkin for super cheap (found 24 oz cans for 30¢ each last month!) and most squash soups can be interchangeable with pumpkin too (also a squash!)

You won't have to roast your own squash/pumpkin that way. I use homemade broth to add better flavor. I save chicken/turkey bones and celery and onion ends in a freezer bag until it's full and then dump them in my crock, add water to get near top and cook on high which is a boil for my slow cooker for 24 hours, strain out bones/goo and let broth cool and freeze in quart containers so I always have some on hand. It is SOOOO much better than anything you could get store bought and added bonus is that stuff is free and would have been tossed in the trash.
Thank you so much! I love all your details and tips! I need to start saving the bones!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts