Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring planting is just around the corner, and this year I thought I might put a little Halloween twist in the flower beds. Nightshade is a no-Brainer and I wanna give Aconite a try. Three foot tall stalks, big purple flowers, more commonly known as Monk'shood or, my Favorite, "WOLF'SBANE".
Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
Bat flowers! I keep seeing these in catalogs & really want to try them! I'd have to pull them up in the fall though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacca

You're in Samoa so you can do tropical stuff right? Lots of cacti & succulents are odd looking.
http://www.sunset.com/garden/flowers-plants/carnivorous-plants-00418000084464/page26.html

Chinese lanterns might work too, they're perennials here. In the fall they have these great orange lanterns & the berries are edible. And when they dry they can be very pretty too with a lacework pattern.

Or maybe you should just go straight for an Audrey, just be careful, I understand she has odd dietary requirements & gets pretty huge pretty quickly. ;)

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
This is perfect timing as we at The Church want to do a garden on the roof and I want a separate section that my cats can't access. Well children either. But anyways these are the kind of plants I'm looking at. So yeah, any tips anyone might have would be welcome and especially concerning my location. I did some amateur landscaping when I lived in Joplin but that was years ago and my knowledge is rusty.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
We had some toad lillies. We may still have them, that part of the yard needs some work. The Chinese lanterns are good for lots of areas, but that Bat Flower would have to be pulled up in the winter in IL. I have a thing for succulents & cacti, mostly because my one cat Ziggy is a plant eater & he won't bother those. And if they knock them over (& both cats have knocked over almost every cacti/succulent I own) you can leave them alone for a day & they won't die & you just stuff them back in the pot & they're good.

You can put the cacti outside in the summer but not all of them are meant for direct, 100 degree heat. I've rescued many of mine at Home Depot & Lowes. They tend to stick them in a corner or not in the sun & either over water them or under water them so I "rescue" them from those horrible places.

If you want something more interesting try http://www.logees.com/ for any & all tropicals. Most of that stuff is for zones 8-10 but most of the country could put them out for summer & bring them in once fall hits.

I need it to get a little warmer for a little longer here to see what survived our bazillion Polar Vortexes this year. It was much colder for much longer & we just had Slurpee-like snow on Sunday which is very unusual for MD.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
One thing about cacti & succulents:

If you buy one of them in a small pot, DON'T transplant it into a giant pot. Those things grow very slowly so if it's in a small pot, leave it alone or move it into a clay pot about the same size. Clay pots are good because they don't hold water & since most of those things don't want a lot of water a clay pot is perfect for them, but as long as the pot has good drainage you'll be OK.

I made this mistake more often than I'd like to admit & then one day I googled & discovered that my instinct to transplant something from Home Depot/Lowes into a larger pot was the exact wrong thing to do.

Then when I thought about those giant saguaro cactus out in the deserts in AZ & realized while those things are HUGE, it took them many, many, many years to get that huge. And while they are huge, they don't have deep root systems & grow so slowly they don't need a lot of room so no need for a teeny cactus to be transplanted in a giant pot. They don't grow as quickly as other plants so if you want to transplant, wait a few days for the thing to get used to your place THEN transplant it with cacti/succulent soil (available at Home Depot & Lowes too) into a pot as close to the same size of the pot it came in.

A good book or just googling about your plants makes a HUGE difference. The only succulent I can't seem to keep alive are these things, lithiops, living rocks. I don't know why because I did everything right but I just can't keep these guys alive which sucks because they're pretty cool

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
Those lithiops are really cool! Thank you for the info! :D
I know which is why I keep trying. I think I've killed 3 or 4 pots of them now! Small pots, usually the ones in HD or Lowes only have 1 or 2 small plants in them but it still chaps my butt to think I can't keep them going. I've actually even had them bloom too but then they just don't wanna live in my house for some reason.

But on the oppposite end of that spectrum, I've had a planter full of hens & chicks outside since...oh gosh...almost 15 years now & they survived the Polar Vortexes, snow & general crappy winter this year. I separate them every other year, stick a few in other pots & they just keep going & going. I checked on them this week & they're still kicking even after being on the side of the house that gets the most sun/wind/rain/everything & they're still good. Yet another small plant that doesn't like or need big spaces.

They're super easy to transplant too, just take one outta that clump or take a whole clump & stick it into a new pot of dirt & you've got new plants!! No rooting hormone, nothing, just pull it off, make a hole in the dirt with your finger or a chopstick (great cacti tools) & stick the stem into it & you're good to go.

Hens & chicks (or cats & kittens as my great-grandmother called them). They flower too & they're kinda stalky & crazy looking. At the start of the new season just pull the stalks off.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've never seen hen and chicks flower. Those are beautiful. You have quite a green thumb there RCIAG.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
I've been doing it for a while now & mostly it's trial & error. I'm no Master Gardener though I'd love to take those classes. One thing about gardening is you have to know when to chuck a plant or cut down/remove something healthy because otherwise you'll have some things just taking over.

It also helps to have a good garden center with educated people. If I don't know it they do. This is my fave place locally. I saw Charles Dutton there once. He was trying to buy tomato cages & they didn't have any.
http://www.sunnurseries.com/

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have monkshood in my front garden border. Awesome colour. Just be extremely careful handling it - wear gloves. Also, keep it away from kids and pets. It is toxic and dangerous if ingested. Poisonous.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am a BIG outdoor guy. I just started planting a lot of spring items and Chinese lanterns were in the mix. Oddly it never even occurred to me they would be cool for Halloween. I also planted a few different colored phlox plants and they could be made to look kind of creepy.

Phlox49.jpg

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
I wish I was. I don't do well with plants. I forget to water. I've always wanted a huge garden, but alas...
And that is why I have alarms for almost everything. :D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
I wish I was. I don't do well with plants. I forget to water. I've always wanted a huge garden, but alas...
That's what's great about cacti, you can forget to water them for months & they'll still live. I have a little Mexican pottery donkey sitting in our dining room right now. He's been there since last Oct. I haven't watered him since then (mostly because he leaks & I don't have a tray under him) & the 2 types of cacti in him are still going & growing. I'll be moving him outside once it gets over 70 & stays there.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
10,940 Posts
some very cool looking plants you guys have.
I just started some seeds too cold to plant outside here yet but I have black sun flowers, some snake gourds. pumpkins, white sage to start I need to get my black tulips in the ground for next year. :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
We're expecting temps to go from 70something tomorrow AM down to the 30s tomorrow night, rain all day tomorrow & maybe some snow at the end of that rain.

I bought some cool weather plants (brussel sprouts, asparagus, rosemary & some lettuces) that are still on the back stoop in their little pots so I can bring them in. Same for the Big Lots roses, they're still in their bags so I can haul them inside tonite.

I spent yesterday cleaning out the herb garden so I could see what I had to replace & it hasn't been warm enough for long enough for some things to start sprouting but after tomorrow that stuff may have a chance.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
black barlow columbine look very pretty and they are a very deep purple with lovely flowers. one of my favorites for in the garden :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
Those plants are STILL in their containers on the back stoop.:mad: We went down into the upper 30s last night & last weekend I was just too sick to move outta bed so I'm hoping this weekend I can get them into the ground somewhere.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
16 Participants
RCIAG
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing