Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My 5 yr old daughter is dressing up as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz and has requested that I dress up as Glinda (she wants her baby bro to be scarecrow and Daddy to be Tin Man...the girl loves a theme!)

Anyhow, I have an old wedding dress that would do nicely for Glinda however it is white and I obviously need it pink (or peach...you know-Glinda colored!). It's made out of acetate, which I understand is difficult to dye...Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can't dye acetate with anything you can get in the store. the color of acetate is part of the chemicals used to make it. You may be able to "stain" it with tea or wine, but you won't be happy with the color. Cheaper and less hassle just to buy pink fabric and make the dress. Or look for a dress already pink at a thrift store. Or try Freecycle, or Craigslist.

·
Registered
543 Posts
An alcohol based leather dye should work, though it is likely price prohibitive on the scale you need it. I have used it to dye yellow rubber black and an orange nylon watchband grey (the black turned out lighter than usual). Fiebing's does not seem to make pink, but do make white and red.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I picked up some of the fabric spray paint at Joann last night so I'll give that a try. The dress was free and I have no sentimental attachment to it so I figure I'll give it a try and if it doesn't turn out I'll just be out the $4 I spent on paint and I'll move on to another costume idea.
Now if I could just figure out the easiest way to make that big ol Glinda crown...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think the crown is clear, so if you get a piece of still clear plastic it should work as a base. Something like the plastic "glass" in a cheap poster frame. Light enough to cut with scissors. I don't know if you can get that separately. Or some pieces of clear plastic over head projector slides. taped together to get a large enough piece. Then just decorate with "jewels"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!
I gave the spray a go this morning and it seems to work ok...there are a few spotty patches because the paint didn't come out in an even mist the whole time-it kind of 'sputtered' a bit. But I think it will be passable. I just need another can to finish it up and then I'll probably stick on some little sparkles or some sort...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts