Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions.

First can you add a sub panel from another sub panel? Like use a double 40 and run a new sub feed from that sub to another? And if so what wire would you suggest 6-3g?

Ok heres the problem this year i overloaded my wire its only 14-2 and i assumed it was 12-2 so im pretty sure i smoked some wire somewhere. I know how to re wire that room and wire new breaker and all but that not the question really. BTW i think im going to run 10-2 in there and its the shop so you know but anyway ....

The question is when house was built they installed a floor heater that is on a double 40 breaker and we tore that heater out years ago. So all that is left is the breaker in the box. Can i use that double 40 in that sub panel and run another sub panel from that sub panel?

Really looking to save money by running all my wire myself and mounting sub panel and wiring sub panel. I can wire a sub panel no doubt in my mind BUT i will most likely just call a electrician anyway to make attachments just looking for some info really.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Answer from Dutchess of Darkness Husbnad

A few things to keep in mind.

14 gauge wire Max 15A breaker
12 gauge wire Max 20A breaker
10 Gauge wire Max 30A breaker\
8 Gauge wire usually max 45A breaker, but sometimes you can put a 50 on it.

Yes you can run a subpanel.

If you want a subpanel, and are using a 2 pole 40A breaker, run an 8/3 wire.

If you wanna get into wiring your own house, buy a book, and learn a little. IT's not a car, it's your house. if you screw up, one of 3 things can happen.
1) it will work, and be right.
2) It will work, but be wrong. It may not pose a noticible problem.
3) It will work, but be wrong, and will cause irrepairable damage to your home. The $20 for the book, and a couple hours studying will be time well spent.

Why do you think the wires burnt? I've been an electrician for a couple decades, and I've never found a wire that was actually burnt. I think you should check the spices. what breaker was on it. Did it trip? If not, you may want to look at replacing your breakers. They do wear out over time, like peoples knees. They aren't noticied until they are not working so good.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i put about 4 amps passed the 14-2 wire is rated at and i smelled a burning smell so i assumed i melted some wire but breaker didnt trip so i thought maybe i smoked a outlet on the route. I pulled some 12-2 today but i think im going to change it to 8-3 like you mentioned ...Just to clarify i can add another sub panel from the previous subpanel? I already have a sub panel but what i was asking is can i add another one from that subpanel? Im trying to understand if i can add a second sub panel. Im not trying to keep repeating myself just trying to be clear as i can before i make a big mistake :) or purchase something that is wrong. Dont worry i wont do anything im not 100 percent comfortable with. Safety first!

A few things to keep in mind.

14 gauge wire Max 15A breaker
12 gauge wire Max 20A breaker
10 Gauge wire Max 30A breaker
8 Gauge wire usually max 45A breaker, but sometimes you can put a 50 on it.

Yes you can run a subpanel.

If you want a subpanel, and are using a 2 pole 40A breaker, run an 8/3 wire.

If you wanna get into wiring your own house, buy a book, and learn a little. IT's not a car, it's your house. if you screw up, one of 3 things can happen.
1) it will work, and be right.
2) It will work, but be wrong. It may not pose a noticible problem.
3) It will work, but be wrong, and will cause irrepairable damage to your home. The $20 for the book, and a couple hours studying will be time well spent.

Why do you think the wires burnt? I've been an electrician for a couple decades, and I've never found a wire that was actually burnt. I think you should check the spices. what breaker was on it. Did it trip? If not, you may want to look at replacing your breakers. They do wear out over time, like peoples knees. They aren't noticied until they are not working so good.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Simple answer is yes, what you intend to do is fine.

Make sure your loads don't exceed your main panel otherwise you'll start popping the main breaker.

I get the impression this is for a shop or garage or something? What was running when you smelled the smell? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess either a compressor or chopsaw. WIth a properly fused circuit, your actual availible load to use on a circuit is 80% of the rating. 15A breaker, you shouldn't exceed 12A for more than a couple seconds (to allow a motor to start). SOmething to keep in mind if your calculating your available power on a circuit.

Good Luck.

Canhos ;)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hubby said to tell you, if you want to talk further about this, just to IM him rather than posting back and forth on the forum, so just pm me if that's what you'd like for him to do ok:)

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry i didnt get back to ya guys sooner but its getting hairy around here.

Ok first the subpanel is on a double 60 so i assume the subpanel is a 125 amp box

There is a two dbl 40's and a few others for upstairs lighting and all in there and one has base heater(240vac) and a few outlets and a few lights for downstairs the other one has dishwasher few lights and outlets and baseheater(240vac) also. i used one of the dbl 40's for christmas lights and everything was fine for a few days then nothing was on and i smelled burning smell. Now its not on its own circuit but i had added 8 outlets just for holiday lighting and i assumed it was 12-2 which it was not now i know all this b/c the shop used to be a downstairs den and then we got flooded so we ripped all of that out and turned back into a shop....It used to be a garage.

It has dishwasher and heaters on 12-2 so i assumed the rest was 12-2 and it was not it was 14-2 i went passed 15 amps by about 2-3 amps and yeah i understand the 75 percent rule and i thought i was there being 12-2 but what i didnt realize was it was 14-2 and it has other outlets before it got to my power center. Now i have ripped most of the heater wiring out no need for it b/c we yanked the heaters out years ago....Now its gets tricky first i dont think it was wired correctly at all or just not the way i would of done it.

I want those dbl 40's split so i can have more control and ditch the heaters source so that will free up a few amps in the box. Like i was wanting to do is have dishwasher on seperate breaker have shop outlets and lights on its own breaker and holiday lighting on their own breaker (atleast 40 amps maybe more for future) But they have jammed all this crap on 2 dbl 40's and it just doesnt seem right to me at all and all this stuff is downstairs lighting outets except for dishwaser up stairs. And im unsure if the base heaters have half the dbl 40 breakers for itself if so then im just going to ditch half the dbl 40 and add a single 40 and free up 80 amps in theory. If your confused now so am i its hard to explain really its a nightmare ...Now i thought 240 has to use both connections on dbl 40 breaker this is were im confused to high hell. How did they add so much 120 stuff on those dbl 40's? or am i just confused and dont know squat? Something to me just doesnt seem right but im no master electrician so .....

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Toetag.

If you could PM or post a digital picture of the panels your talking about, it may help uncomplicate things. (With the covers off, providing your comfortable with that).

I have some hunches based on what youve said, but I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I found this basic picture of typical household power. It may help you understand what's going on.
http://www.toolandfab.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=75&d=1136270153

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Hey now I'm a mechanic, and don't appreciate you people speaking a different language on this forum. LOL jk So set your valve at zero lash and you cam dot to dot. And make you set your timing mark at zero and drop your distributor to number one. And make sure its not 180 out. SO THERE TAKE THAT! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts