Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone have anything fail on the big night?

My one and only (thankfully) prop to have an issue was my leering skeleton. A screw came loose from the motor shaft. 30 second fix and the rest of the night went perfect.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
My Bride and Groom Skeletons that go up and down behind their tombstones "gave up the ghost", shall we say.
The "D" shaped hole in the motor crank finally stripped itself out into more of a circle and fell off the shaft. Guess I can't complain since I built it 10 or 11 years ago.
Plus, I'll have it fixed by next Halloween.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wish I had video or photos but I put up the 2 13ft tall columns and the wind blew one over toppling it into the other one sending both crashing to the ground causing mostly cosmetic damage that ended up not being visible at night.

Also one of the candle pillars fell over and PVC candles and led tea lights exploded all over the driveway. Luckily I was able to get it all repaired in about 30 mins.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Breakdown of audio track. First I made it the wrong format that no ones phone or apple would play. Got that figured out just to have my phone reboot itself 45 minutes into it.

All and all It didnt seem to matter to anyone else but me LOL.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Our fog machine stopped working when it was hooked to the fog chiller we made. It was our first time using a chiller. We ran it for a few minutes the night before and everything was going well. I'm not sure what happened but we unhooked it from the chiller and it was working fine on its own. We were in the middle of a Halloween party so we didn't have time to try and figure it out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My projector was not properly connecting to the Micca Speck. Thank goodness I knew how to connect it to the composite jacks. The good thing is that it fired back up on the big day. Also, I had one of the lines come off the pulley on Frank the flying crank ghost. If it wasn't for using kevlar thread, the lines would have probably shredded and Frank would have been out of commission. All is good in the hood!

Cheers,
CS

---

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was using a Chromecast to stream to a projector in the yard. I got more and more laggy to the point it would freeze up as soon as I restarted the video. I eventually just shut it down for the last hour of the night. Supposedly the solution is to turn off Chrome's hardware acceleration, but I didn't figure that out until this morning.

I'm also worried that my VEI 960 may be developing issues after six years of trouble free service. It seemed to be running very hot and and it stopped working a few times. The plug seems to be come loose from the housing too.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Accidentally bumped into a bench a prop box we built to control our major attraction was on, and it fell onto the pavers and the light function broke. Fortunately hubby was able to open it up and fix what came loose inside and problem was solved. I couldn't help but think after it fell, of all the things to get damaged, why that one?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Both projectors in the haunt had problems; one from the start other about 1/2 way through the night, werewolf rising from box made it about an hour then died on me, step pad on coat rack monster failed and put him on sensor for last 1/2 hour, TV showing Bone Chillers in window never worked once I went out of the room, our break-down wall broke off about every 30 minutes and I forgot to put candles in all our pumpkins we carved...

Even with all that was a great night once I decided to just flow with it and trust my scareactors to keep the screams going. They did great and had lots of compliments from neighbors on Halloween and today :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
During heavy rain shower a quarter of my display went off line. Had to keep running out there in rain inbetween trick or treaters to trouble shoot. Found issues with small orange string lights causing the circuit to short out. Bypassed , and got everything else back on line. I was soaked after all said and done.

Jim

·
Registered
175 Posts
Had a few of our props stop working. Peek a boo Penny would not re-tract after firing and will need some off season repairs, as well as another spirit prop that came right off his base. Also, I lost power to my remote control module for my pneumatic props. Lucky for us it was right at the end of the night and didn't affect the haunt.
I find that most props from spirit or big box stores need some form of repair each year. We have a lot of TOT's go through our haunt, and the props get used and abused. They are clearly not meant for heavy use. But that's OK as I find I'm getting quite good at repairing them, as well as fog machines.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The top hand on this guy broke on us. The weld just let go so his hand ended up just hanging down. Luckily it was towards the end of the night and it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Bleeping* fog machines. I test and test beforehand, and they die on me mid-show. Two or three, I think, didn't work at all. Not sure if it's the machines or the timers or what. The 1000w fogger overcompensated and we humidified the whole neighborhood though, so that was great. I have a section of foam pipe insulation that hangs down, which you have to wade through, and the fog caught up in that and it was just beautiful.

Right before opening, one of our light strings died. Okay, that's simple, replaced it with one that didn't match but whatever they're all working again and we're ready to go. About 8:15-8:30 a second set went, taking all the rest of the strings along the way out with it, and at that point we were just done for the night. These lights are hung on our fence, lighting the way, so if they go then it's too hard for people to find their way through.

A few props just refused to go off during the night, without major loud noises, but they function just fine so IDK what the problem is.

Oh, and the bleeping weather. I have a whoooooooooooooooooole bunch of pvc pipe and plastic "walls" in the yard, which contains my fog vortex and the aforementioned insulation tube bit that hangs down from a 4'x8' piece of plastic lattice. Well, all that blew over Friday night, despite being quite well staked into the ground. Stakes were pulled up out of the ground, lattice on the ground, big ol' mess. Note to self: never with the plastic, no matter what the weather says about wind, if there is any chance of rain. So, out in more rain (10% chance!) all Saturday morning putting that back up and re-staking.

Sun was still up when ToT started, so most people didn't get to see the window projection. One of the coolest things we did this year, and almost nobody saw it.

I feel like I spent the whole time running around fixing things, not having a lot of fun.

Also, our ~21 year old cat died on Saturday, after having not been well for the last couple of weeks.

And, Friday night during the pro haunt around the corner that I'm helping with, a few people's cars got broken into and things were stolen.

*self censoring, because strong feelings. I think I'm ready for this year to be over with.

ETA: I didn't even realize it until today when my Dad mentioned, but I 100% completely forgot to even put out the skeletons we bought.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,022 Posts
Jumping spider I wired to a push button wireless remote stopped working about 30 minutes in, but started back after a 15 minute rest. Weak battery I think. The remote uses a small camera battery and I didn't have one, nor was I going to run out looking for one.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
My cauldron motor burned out, so no stirring motion this year. Ten years, so I guess it had a good run.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I didn't have anything break per se, but I did forget to turn on my fog machine. Later on in the night, it started raining and no more kids were coming by. A while after that, I finally remembered that not only did I never turn on the fog machine, but it was still outside in the rain, prepped and ready to go (if I had ever gone out to press the timer button).

So I jumped up and went to the front door, and there was a massive cloud of fog so thick that I couldn't even see out the glass in the door. The entire porch was covered in thick fog where the machine had decided to just start spewing fog, because I guess I inadvertently aimed the fogger towards my porch instead of more out into the yard. For a second there, I didn't know if something was on fire, or what. Fortunately, the fogger seems to be undamaged by the rain...maybe I'll remember to turn it on next year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts