Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am redoing my graveyard pillars this year, I am using the brick Paneling from lowes. It's a wood material. So my question is can I use Thompsons waterseal to waterproof it? Should I use something else?

Also the insides of the pillars have electrical outlets in them. I am thinking of spraying the inside with that flex-seal stuff. Here is a link to what I'm using.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/DPI-47-75-in-...with-Black-Grout-Hardboard-Wall-Panel/1015475

·
Registered
681 Posts
Brick Paneling is a mere step up from cardboard. If it were me i would get a good clear varnish and cover it with that. If you are worried about it becoming too shiny from the varnish just take some steel wool on the varnish after it is dry to take the shine off.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brick Paneling is a mere step up from cardboard. If it were me i would get a good clear varnish and cover it with that. If you are worried about it becoming too shiny from the varnish just take some steel wool on the varnish after it is dry to take the shine off.
What about using a clear poly?

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For waterproofing the inside/backside of something, or if black is what you're going for, here is another option: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-4-75-Gal-Black-Beauty-Asphalt-Fence-Paint-9005-GA/202057689?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D22-Roofing%7c&gclid=CJmjuY-pgs8CFRY9gQodx78GIw&gclsrc=aw.ds
Asphalt paint meant for waterproofing fence posts. It's kind of nasty to work with - wear gloves. But if you're doing a large area, it would be a lot cheaper than
/plastidip.
Never thought of that. I am only using the flexseal because I have a few cans on hand. Bought at a flea market for cheap a few weeks ago.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We just finished our catacomb build and we used similar paneling. We painted the exterior with good quality dark grey exterior paint. We have left the interior as it is covered so we haven't worried about that too much. It has rained a couple of times and so far it is okay. It has warped slightly. I assume the column bottoms will have 2 x 4's base or something to keep paneling off the ground? It will require weather protection front and back for sure, clear varathane should work for fronts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts