Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I've run out of patience with the men at home about this...time to ask the experts! I need a high torque LOW speed motor. My project is a motor in a wooden box, that's painted like a monument. The motor will turn a light weight platform with four ghosts on it. There will be a ghost at each point of the compass on the platform. They will be extremely light weight ghosts that will appear to be playing "Ring around the Rosie". This was supposed to be an easy project but as usual . . .

So I beg for your mercy and intelligence.

Thank you!

Aunt Sissy

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you don't want to spend too much, salvage an old can opener, those motors are low RPM and high torque.:D

·
Registered
522 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think those are not constant duty.

I have a similar one on my pirate row boat, if I run it constantly it over heats and shuts down.

I started setting up my pirate area with a controller so that the row boat only rows for a short time.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
bb - do you mean the DC gearmotors from Servo City? I haven't purchased from them, so I have no idea.

The one on eBay...I have an AC gearmotor that is built similar to that one, but not the same make (the model number pulls up some stats, but found nothing on duty cycle) - the one I have will run for long duration without heating up very much, so I think it's okay for continuous duty.
Then again, they're not the same motor, so no telling.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, here's the solution so far. We found a square bolt and epoxied it in the star shaped gear receptacle of an ice cream motor. I cut the round platform out of thin plywood (I'd tell you the thickness, but I'm a girl, I pick out what I want and leave the details to the wind) with my jigsaw, found the center and drilled a hole to the size of the bolt, in it.

In the mean time, my husband wired the motor up with a new cord and a rheostat. He cut out a rectangular opening in the back of the box and mounted a weather proof electrical box to house the rheostat.

Then, he mounted small (again with the size thing-don't know), casters at an angle at each corner of the top of the box. When the motor is mounted, the bolt will be several inches above the lip of the box, we will put nuts on the bolt, up to the height required for the platform. Then the platform will be put on and another nut on top to sandwich it so it will turn on the casters.

Before the platform is mounted though, we've taken a 1/2 inch pvc X (I know this one because I use that size a lot) drilled a hole to the size of the bolt in the middle of it. It will be centered over the hole in the platform and screwed down. From there I will extend lengths of pvc out to the length I pick, haven't decided yet (another girl thing...indecision), screw these down and add pvc elbows to the ends and screw these on. From there, more pvc to the desired height, about 4 feet with another pvc + so I can add small shoulders and a head form. Cover in batting and cloth and wait to see if the whole thing blows up or not :)

This is my story and I reserve the right to change my girlie little mind at any time ;P

Aunt Sissy
Stacia

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Aunt Sissy, thank you for your detailed update.
I have an ice cream maker motor just waiting to be used in a prop. The problem, though, is the thing is so gosh darn noisy.
After wiring your motor to a rheostat, were you able to reduce the speed and the volume of the motor?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Aunt Sissy, Haunter...

If it's really just a rheostat, it's probably not the best idea, especially if there'll be any load on the motor. Unless the rheostat is *huge*, there'd be a very real possibility of smoking it.

The better option, if you need to slow down a DC motor, is to use a motor speed control. These use pulse width modulation, or PWM. That is, they switch the motor on-and-off really quickly, and based on how long it's ON vs. how long it's OFF, the motor will run either faster or slower. You can find these at electronics surplus places.

If the motor is AC, you might get away with using a lamp dimmer. These use the same PWM idea, but they're built for AC circuits.

What can you tell us about the motor your using? Any info on the side of it, or on the side of the ice cream maker you took it out of? (i.e.: # of Watts, Volts, and Amps)

- Hook

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dear Haunter....you betcha. However in the meantime, I've been told to test it out thoroughly because it's an AC motor and if I don't give it ENOUGH power it could blow or burn up. (I would be unhappy at having to start over, but I recently discovered that blowing stuff up is fun and exciting!!!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear Hooked...I was told it was AC but I'm going to go back and check the box and labels. When I find out I'll post it. If it stops storming here tonight long enough for me to make a break for the shop I'll do it tonight and post the info along with the photos I've taken so far. Thanks for looking out for me. If it's a flop as we have it ... I'll blow the motor in your honor!!! ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haunter, I had the same thoughts, so I decided to leave it on a good while during the "test" run and if it doesn't blow, then I won't actually put it out until the big night, that way the "ON" hours are limited.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I didn't get out to the shop yet and I'm not sure how to insert photos here, so I put them in an album under Aunt Sissy. I've done my best to describe each photo for you.

It's listed under "Ring Around the Rosie" Ice cream motor set up.

Aunt Sissy
Stacia

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
azdude: You Betcha! However I've already seen it work but will try and put on a video. May need someone to walk me through putting it on here though...not really bright in that dept.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts