Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've seen so far in the stores this year I am sooo underwhelmed. For me, there are no "must haves" or "Wows!" in any of the big-box stores. Anyone feel the same way? Someone please conradict me and point me in a direction! I DID find some super cool items in the Grandin Road catalog though....too bad most of it is wayyy pricey.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, it is early in the season. In my area, at least, stores don't really start putting out the good stuff until mid-September.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,608 Posts
Thus far, IMO, Michaels has a very poor showing, as does Factory card outlet and Big Lots. Party City is still putting stuff up but what's out so far is recycled stuff from last year and beyond. I'm looking forward to seeing all of what the Spirit Stores carry. Like you said, no "must haves"....yet.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdubbya: I was in Michael's yesterday expecting something new/cool and was really disappointed. The store just seemed to be not "into it" at all. Even the normally abundant display of carvable pumpkins was relegated to only a few high shelves. Two things I did find there was a pretty skull-tassle, which I bought, and some extremely lovely Martha Stewart scrapbooking paper. I passed on the paper since I don't scrapbook, it was pretty though. I'm hoping my local HomeGoods has something with a wow factor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, I've been looking on ebay and sites and I've just been kinda "blah" ...some stuff for my costume and a couple of props... but, I've spent about $70 and now I'm just... meh. ...hopefully it'll pick up when they put stuff into stores here.

...oh and went by the local hallmark shop since they had a Halloween sign up... they didn't even have anything yet, I was so PO'd... why put the sign up if you don't have anything? ARG

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Stores really hurt themselves a few years ago. They went ALL out when it was big news that Halloween was worth billions of dollars...

So, the next year they put it out earlier. And then earlier.

Now, they put it out so damn early and by the time Halloween actually rolls around, people don't care as much. If you notice, the last couple years have been the SAME stuff and they have tons of stuff to markdown.

I think they need to just wait until late September to put stuff into the stores to keep it seasonal. If they see some inventory turns, then you'd see them ask for something new the next time around.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yeah I feel the same this year. Last year Walmart had the worst selection ever mostly just costumes and small indoor decor and no large props or outdoor decor to speak of.This year so far I have not seen anything I would like to have on line or in my stores....Michaels (never have care for them) Garden Ridge (just ok) Party City (not bad and may get better) Old Time Pottery (very weak at this point) Flower Factory (may be the best with 8 or more isles but mostly older stuff)Halloween Express(the best so far but way too pricey for me). Seems last year Gemmy had so many new and cool items such as the Bubble Fogger (got 6 on sale and really under-estimated the cool factor and how well they worked on this one). Ths year from Gemmy I'm only impressed with the kicking legs pumkin head scarecrow ($69 ) but I could make one and unless it goes on sale I won't get it. I wish Gemmy would make more classic lifesize props like a werewolve,headless horseman or just a cool creepy scarecrow such as the one from the movie Hallow ground or even a Jeepers creeper (movie) dude would be sweet. Sorry just not impress with all the other modern day movie characters they seem to be into these days.......again JMHO and my rant.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Michaels was rather poor compared to past years but I still managed to find a few things I wanted to get last year that I was unable to. What really threw me was when I turned the corner and found a full aisle of Christmas already put out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts