Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my version of the Leota HM Stone. This is not nearly as polished as what others have done. I opted for a simple light up eye vs. a sophisticated mechanical eyelid. The end result is not as impressive in the daylight but at night it works quite well.

This version will be out in the Pacific NW all month so it has to be robust and waterproof. Further, I needed it to only take up one Light O Rama Channel and since the Ezra animatronic is eating most of the prop budget this year I couldn't justify another DMX controller board to run servos on this stone.

As others have done I used the craft store mask for the face.

The hair and neck bust do-hickie were made out of pink foam. The fabric drapes were thin sheet foam from the craft store.

For the eyes I used dark green theater light gel material. The idea is to basically make a "scrim" that will hide the eyes from the front when viewed.

I used aluminum HVAC tape to coat the inside of the mask to prevent light leak and also to add some thermal insulation. I used a LED clip on spotlight from IKEA ($8) in the forehead and the eyes are just a pingpong ball cut in half and glued to a scrap of foam. The iris' are from the Haunting Grounds
HTML:
http://thehauntinggrounds.com/projects/prop-eyez/
A bit of glue, caulk, paint and lettering gets the finished stone:

Eyes on: (These will flash and turn on/off randomly with Light O Rama)

·
Registered
606 Posts
LOVE IT!!!

How did you get the lettering so perfect? Can I ask what font you used?

Also from your last year's haunt video, my favorite part of your HM tribute show was the strobing skeleton, and, 'Of course, there's always MY way!' AWESOME!!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Kudos: To be clear the use of the craftstore mask was not my idea. I copied it from someone else who made fully animated eyelids. However, the use of the carved foam hair/accessories vs. other materials may be different. I use the foam a lot lately as it's 100% waterproof and really easy to carve.

The process to how I carve my stones lettering is pretty easy. If I want to do an exact copy like this one I find an image, blow it up to life size and print it out. A light coating of 3M or similar spray adhesive will stick the paper to your stone for a template.

Step 2 is to use an xacto knife and score the outside of all the letters/logos through the paper about 1/8" deep into the foam. I suggest doing this on some winter evening in February as its tedious and can be done while watching TV.

Step 3: use a plunge router (dremmel with plunge router base works great too) with a 1/16" bit set about 1/8" deep route out your design. (Note: Wear a mask our you will be sneezing pink for a week.) The best part is you only have to get approx 1/16" away from your scored line and the bit will actually suck the foam away from the edge leaving a perfect line.

If you want to age/weather the lettering a bit a very quick pass with the blowtorch will knock down the sharp new letter look.

This stone also represents the first use of an airbrush in our haunt. After taking a class from Cig Neutron and hanging out with Dutch at the WCHC the Iwata, compressor and accessories were a must buy this year. I was able to do the paint in a fraction of the time vs. manual brush.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts