Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
A stupid decision, to be sure -- and right in my own backyard, too.

I suppose that it was inevitable though: In recent years, many people have been so insistent on reclaiming Halloween as a pagan / Wiccan celebration -- always citing its historical, pre-Christian Celtic origins (which no one disputes), but what has that really accomplished? Other than, apparently, opening another legal avenue for Halloween's opponents to shut it down. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
OMG, how utterly RIDICULOUS! This is just plain stupid, letting bureucrats make decisions that have only one outcome.....the children lose yet ANOTHER joyful memory from their childhood because of a couple of anal-retentive busy-bodies who happened to complain to someone in a place of power.

I already sent my daughter to school twice in Halloween themed shirts and it's only the second week of October thank you very much! So there!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my kids often wear horror themed clothing. Lots of skulls, zombie t-shirts. Thankfully I live in an area that really embraces halloween. Most of the good memories I have are from Halloween when growing up. I made a mention in another thread of how this particular holiday really helps to bond a community. Sadly the loud minority often trumps the silent majority. I can be really loud, when I want to :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
...and it's amazing how myself and all my friends and family grew up with Christmas concerts NOT Winter concerts and we dressed up on Halloween too and so on and we all survived. No one was required to participate if they were against it. My children's school district has long since left out any Halloween or Christmas events..*SIGH** but my son has had to go to a private school and I was so happy when we first got a letter home about a Halloween event they were doing. The kids make crafts around all the holidays. Instead of banning everything they do everything. What happened to exposing children to different practices and learning from them if they do not celebrate them?

·
Registered
441 Posts
My mother worked in an elementary school and got a terrible principal 4 years ago. She was a very religious woman and was horribly offended by anything Halloween-related; even smiling jack o'lanterns! She sanctioned October 31st as "Hallow-read." Kids were allowed to dress up, but only if they were characters from a book. Any kid wearing a regular (or god forbid "scary") costume would be sent home. I encouraged my mom to tell all of the kids to dress up as characters from Harry Potter--especially the death eaters. A few kids went as Harry but that was it. Most children didn't bother to participate.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I suppose that it was inevitable though: In recent years, many people have been so insistent on reclaiming Halloween as a pagan / Wiccan celebration -- always citing its historical, pre-Christian Celtic origins (which no one disputes), but what has that really accomplished? Other than, apparently, opening another legal avenue for Halloween's opponents to shut it down. :rolleyes:
Except that Xmas and Easter (and almost all of our other holidays) are ALSO based in pre-Christian pagan traditions. Xmas tree, Xmas lights, feasting (Xmas, Halloween/Harvest, Easter, New Year's, etc.), giving of gifts...nearly all of it was incorporated into the Christianity because the people were just gonna keep doing their traditional celebrations one way or the other.

I mean, granted I'm a cranky not-so-old fart, but I really wish more people were knowledgeable about our holidays and where they come from. Among other subjects.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My high school had a big carnival in the gym & with a haunted house in the basement of the school. Wonder now if that tradition is gone all these years later?

·
Registered
293 Posts
A lot of people complain about those private Catholic schools, but I went to one too and the freedom to celebrate holidays and traditions is awesome. What was cool was that there were actually lots of people of other religions, and they were allowed to practice/pray/celebrate whatever they wanted as long as it didn't interfere with class. I remember the elementary school kids would dress up and parade around the older students rooms. I loved it. Now I work at a clinic for children with autism, and we call it dress like your favorite character day. A lot of kids just come in whatever costume they're wearing for TOTing, I legit saw a kid with a sheet and 2 eyes cut out. I didn't know people actually did that. Made my day!

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
Except that Xmas and Easter (and almost all of our other holidays) are ALSO based in pre-Christian pagan traditions. Xmas tree, Xmas lights, feasting (Xmas, Halloween/Harvest, Easter, New Year's, etc.), giving of gifts...nearly all of it was incorporated into the Christianity because the people were just gonna keep doing their traditional celebrations one way or the other.

I mean, granted I'm a cranky not-so-old fart, but I really wish more people were knowledgeable about our holidays and where they come from. Among other subjects.
It seems that you missed my point entirely. I'm well aware of the pagan historical origins of Halloween (which, as I said earlier, no one disputes), and those of Christmas and Easter too. But I've never seen self-professed witches trying to reclaim those other holidays by playing up the pagan/Wiccan aspects, have you?

The problem with arguing that Halloween has religious significance for today's pagans and Wiccans is that it runs the risk of Halloween celebrations being challenged on constitutional grounds in the public schools (or perceived as such by risk-averse school administrators), as seems to have happened here.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Did anyone ask the kids how they felt about cancelling their parade? Does anyone really think kids see Halloween as having any religious significance? Pagans and wiccans have absolutely nothing to do with Halloween anyway It's a secular holiday with no religious origins. Will they also be threatened by Valentine's Day because it has the word 'saint' in it?

It would be laughable if it wasn't so utterly ignorant.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Our school doesn't celebrate Halloween. They have a dress up as a book character day. As my oldest gets older they have now done away with Christmas parties. I'm not sure if she even had a valentine party last year. They exchanged Valentine's but I don't think a big deal was made like having a party with cookies. My youngest kindergarten year there was no Christmas party cause one student in the class didnt celebrate Christmas. Sad and ruined it for the majority who do celebrate.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I feel so badly for these children. It's ridiculous that in order to keep certain people happy, they have to cancel Halloween celebrations. I mean, come on! If you have a problem with something that doesn't directly affect you, ignore it! It's just insane to me to think that when someone has a problem with something, all of those who enjoy it have to suffer. Where does majority rule here? Without getting both sides, they make a decision just to make sure that no one is being offended. However, they don't think about how it will negatively affect the people who want to celebrate it. They make it almost seem like if you do celebrate Halloween or the other holidays that you're in the wrong, and what kind of message is that sending to the kids? Completely confused, and to me it sounds like no one can "deal" with things anymore. Instead they would rather whine and complain to get their way. This is where I think the quote "you can't always get what you want" comes into place.

I'm thankful that I was able to grow up where we would have half a day of classes and the other half was spent getting dressed up and having a parade around the entire elementary school with our teachers and parents. Afterward we would come back and hear a halloween story, make a craft, and got to trick or treat to all of the different classrooms. Unfortunately, once I do have kids, it won't be an option. I understand that they are still able to celebrate at home and that they are able to go trick or treating but this to me is just too much.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Actually, Valentine's Day is really the Feast of Saint Valentine, so...technically that started as a religious day as well. A lot of Catholics celebrate this feast day. The word "holiday" has religious history, as well. It comes from the Old English word "haligdaeg" which means "holy day". We use it in a general sense today as a day to celebrate or in which ordinary activities like work are suspended.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts