Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This prop is easy to throw together and the cost is comparatively low for the effect. Here's your parts list:

4 feet PVC (I used 1/2" instead of the usual 3/4". I feel the less PVC to fill the more air that goes to the whips)
1/2" PVC end caps x 2
2 Way Solenoid Valve (Mine is a Monster Guts)
Push Quick Male Connector
Super Strong Quick Setting Epoxy from Harbor Freight
Soft tubing and connectors - about 14" (I acquired some tubing from my work that was discarded)
Of course, flat black spray paint

Pros: Low cost, fun effect, easy to construct

Cons: Takes a lot of air! You will not be able to run this prop with a pancake compressor.

Ideally, this prop would be mounted on the backside of a wall panel with the whips coming through the patron side. My walk-through won't happen until next year so I'm putting this prop in a coffin with a dead body and rat sounds.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're not the first to mention that reading of the title. I'm sure there's some Freudian element to see what you want to see. ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terra, thanks for the compliment and the comment about safety. I know that we have been taught to never utter the words pneumatic and PVC in the same sentence, but there is no danger in using PVC for this prop. The four whips act as pressure relief so there is no way to build up PSI within the PVC. The danger with PVC lies in creating an air ram that is a closed system allowing the internal pressure to rise to dangerous levels and bursting the pipe and then sending shrapnel into ToTers. You could use metal pipe, but it would be unnecessary and only add to the weight and cost.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where did you pick up the male connectors?
Are they 1/4 male thread to 1/8 tubing?
Appreciate the help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just as an added note, I built one of these also and installed a small ball valve in the inlet side of the PVC to control the amount of air going into the pipe. I was a little worried that I would end up with a "weed whacker" effect if it wasn't triggered for a while and too much pressure built up in the compressor. Mine is also on a motion detector and timer for TOTs

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Push Quick Male Connector came from Monster Guts. View attachment 133001 $1.59/ea
Monster has the size labeled as 1/4 or 1/8 but that's just for mounting end threads right?
I don't see the tubing size labeled is that 1/8 OD or something else?

Sorry for being a pest but I have to order everything and I can't this wrong.
One other question is your input fitting on the supply ti the prop the same size as the hose coming off of the compressor? 3/8 or 1/2? Quick connect I would assume
Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blake,
Thanks for bringing up a good point about air flow. I always use air regulator valves on each prop. There is a valve for this ankle tickler even though you can't see it in the video. My compressor also has a regulator.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bldaz,

When you hit the "Buy" link for the Push Connector you have a drop down menu to choose either 1/4" or 1/8". The Polyethylene Tubing is 1/4" O.D. so you would want the 1/4" connector. Dean is very quick to respond via e-mail to any questions. I've even talked to him via phone a couple of times. Here's the items I ordered:

2 Way Solenoid Valve Voltage - 110 VAC C2SV $22.49
Push Quick Male Connector NPT - 1/4" PQMC $1.59
Polyethylene Tubing PT001 $0.39/ea

The quick connect to the solenoid has a 1/4" fitting as well.
Hope this clears it up for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome prop and it gave me a great idea. If you take a fake rubber snake and slit it open, then wrap it around the flopping poly tubing, it would look like the snakes were attacking all at once. The motion of the snake along with the hissing noise would get quite a reaction. What a scare that would be! You could position the snakes like they were crawling out from under the casket and then they would attack. Just an idea! :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great Tut! Would a sprinkler valve work as the solenoid? It can be activated with a 9v battery or better yet a 9 volt wall wart and a remote control or motion sensor. A replacement sprinkler valve set up is around $10 to $15 bucks. By the way, do you think that I could do this effectively with an 11 gallon reserve tank? I ask because I have a pancake compressor and little space. Harbor Freight has 11 gal tanks for about $38 or so. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ghost Ninja,
I do not use sprinkler valves anymore myself. My experience was more headache than the cost savings, but your mileage may vary. The worst part of the Sprinkler valves for me was the honking under pressure. Not to mention, anything plastic under pressure is dangerous (in theory). I have just purchased a few pneumatics each year to spread the cost out over time. My setups are very reliable. Last week, when I pulled my old props out, they all worked perfectly without a hassle.

In regards to your question about air tanks, I am using an Ingersoll-Rand 5 gallon compressor in the video. It dumps a lot of air, but that compressor can keep up as long a s you don't lay into it over and over again in a short period of time. Of course, you have to have time for recovery between scares anyways. The 11 gallon should be sufficient, but I wonder how fast the pancake compressor could keep it filled. I ran my pneumatic groundbreaker (at a high PSI) and an 11 gallon Air Cannon without issue all night on Halloween. It was an off year for the ankle tickler because I rotate the props each year to keep it fresh for the ToT'ers.

Haunts UK,
If you have the proper tubing, even at high PSI it will not hurt. You could have stiff plastic tubing and leave welts I imagaine. Just choose your material wisely and there shouldn't be an issue. Ghost Ride has safe and reasonably priced tubing on their website.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for the help! I got it working tonight with kind of a ghetto trigger but it will work for this season. I came across some black surgical tubing in 1/4 inch that works very well. I'll take a closer look at your video to make sure I set up the motion trigger and the monster guts valve for next year.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
Terra, thanks for the compliment and the comment about safety. I know that we have been taught to never utter the words pneumatic and PVC in the same sentence, but there is no danger in using PVC for this prop. The four whips act as pressure relief so there is no way to build up PSI within the PVC. The danger with PVC lies in creating an air ram that is a closed system allowing the internal pressure to rise to dangerous levels and bursting the pipe and then sending shrapnel into ToTers. You could use metal pipe, but it would be unnecessary and only add to the weight and cost.

That is not an entirely true statement. If the regulator would fail it could send the full pressure air that is in the compressor tank into the prop and since the holes are not very large there may not be enough area to relieve all of the pressure and cause an explosion. For the cost and "extra weight" I don't think that is a wise reason for using pvc. After all the pipe is stationary .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts