Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I produce compliant(fast but smooth and fluid movements) animatronic movements in my animatronic figure's arm movements? Im using VSA as the programming software, if that helps.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,432 Posts

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
I've done one channel at a time in VSA with a joystick with good results as well. To my knowledge, there isn't really an "on switch" for compliance available on a haunter's budget. You just have to ease in and out of the movements manually, which is basically what it means, to my understanding. Rather than going straight from point A to point B, you program it to start slow, speed up, and slow down again at the end of the move to move more organically.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Compliance also allows the small over travel and return to the desired position much like the human body. This acts as a shock absorber. I have also scoured the web for information on limb construction with compliance built in, to no avail.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You'll need proportional air valves and an analog controller...complex and very expensive to implement...you won't be able to achieve true compliance from servos... this technology is highly controlled and software driven. Check out Enfield's website www.enfield.com, and Clippards EPV series valves...I also found this little device is pretty successful to replace an actual proportional air valve. Although you still need some programming to control the varying voltages for pneumatic speed... http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19812 Unfortunately, you'll need one for each pneumatic cylinder....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hmm, I think you might be correct there, dadg..... I know Disney has achieved true compliance in some of their figures they've replaced the hydraulic and pneumatic actuators with electric linear actuators... and I've seen some of their deskinned figs up close...come to think about it, the large movements (arms, torso) are hydraulic, while the smaller actuations such as fingers, eyes, mouth, are pneumatic...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts