Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I have been messing around with for the last month or so. I finally had a proper waist plate machined so I could build a completed unit. It is powered by a wiper motor and a 12 volt 5 amp power supply running through a PWM to slow things down. I am still doing a bit of testing and experimenting with it. I am hoping we will be able to release it as a kit in the near future. :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
wow love it the movement is perfect for a creepy watchman in a cemetery I hope you do come out with this kit id buy one.

·
Registered
854 Posts
YUP! Me Too!
How are you figuring out your waiste plate sizes? I thought I had it worked out, but I was wrong. My props use a lot of my old jeans, but I can't seem to get the waist size right
HM

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YUP! Me Too!
How are you figuring out your waiste plate sizes? I thought I had it worked out, but I was wrong. My props use a lot of my old jeans, but I can't seem to get the waist size right
HM
Trial and error. I did take some actual measurements off of a person. This one was a bit easier since I started with the CAD file from our swaying zombie. This particular plate is 15 inches wide by 9 inches deep if that helps. Works well with pants that have a 36-38 inch waist. Basically you want the pants to be cinched a bit just above the plate. This essentially allows the plate to hold them up. ;)

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys. I am a little concerned with the side loading on my bearings the weight of the upper body is creating. I think I have come up with an easy solution and should have a chance to test it out in the next day or so. I might be obsessing over this, but I want to make sure the mechanism will last for the long haul. ;)

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love it!
Great job :)
Thanks Bob!

Ok, so I couldn't wait until tomorrow to try my fix. I bolted him back together with the bracing installed and problem solved. There is now zero side loading on my bearings so this thing should run a long, long time with no worries. I basically created a brace to support the spine from leaning forward. It attaches to the spine using a Slip-T fitting. I was able to assemble this with all off the shelf parts I have here and there are only 2 additional holes that need machined into the waist plate for this change. I'll sleep a little better tonight. :D

sale pictures 058.jpg
sale pictures 057.jpg

·
Registered
854 Posts
The thing I like is, you base all (or most) of your work on PVC. I have started working with PVC on a couple of non-Holiday related projects with good success. Unlike wood, (my second favorite medium to work with) PVC has a 99.99% consistancy rating, making the work go faster, not to mention cheaper if a mistake or change is made.
HM

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A quick update on this kit.... I thought I had this about ready to go, but we ended up having an issue with some of the machined parts and we are awaiting another batch. I just finished the plans, so I am hoping to have some of these available very soon. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts