Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did you use for the random opening? I built a coffin this year with a half buried look and was hoping to add this kind of effect to it.
The fog machine and random lid rattle are controlled with a Prop-1 from EFX-TEK. I have the program written to activate every 5 minutes, 6 seconds of fog and then 10 seconds of random pattern lid rattle.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That looks great! Need to get some of those prop1s next year. I'm already planning on that. You have some cool props going this year.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how does the efx controller activate the fog machine and the lid. Does it turn on relays? Also what is actually lifting the lid a cylinder? Did you have to hack the fog machine timer?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity, how does the efx controller activate the fog machine and the lid. Does it turn on relays? Also what is actually lifting the lid a cylinder? Did you have to hack the fog machine timer?
The Prop-1 has a built in output chip (ULN2803) which is basically a Darlington transistor array. The ULN2803 has 8 outputs, each output can handle up to 500mA but not more than 1200mA total combined output at any one time. It can drive small loads directly like pneumatic valves, small motors, LED's, etc. without added relays. The lid of my coffin is operated with a pneumatic cylinder but you could use a stout electric solenoid to avoid going pneumatic. An electric solenoid would need an additional relay for the Prop-1 to operate it. The fog machine that is in my coffin was hacked to allow the Prop-1 to control it. I actually didn't need to hack the timer, I opened up the fog machine and added a relay into the circuit that operates the pump. The relay can only energize the pump when the heater is up to temperature, if the Prop-1 turns on the relay when the heater is not ready, nothing happens. So basically, controlling a fog machine like this is not reliable 100% of the time but it works quite well if you don't over work the fogger.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is really great! I need to start making more props like this...
Thanks! Pretty simple to make just the static Toe Pincher, I basically used ScareFX.com's diagram. 15 - 1x6x72 fence boards, 1" drywall screws and wood glue. I gave the wood a weathered look using white vinegar, steel wool, and instant coffee.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The Prop-1 has a built in output chip (ULN2803) which is basically a Darlington transistor array. The ULN2803 has 8 outputs, each output can handle up to 500mA but not more than 1200mA total combined output at any one time. It can drive small loads directly like pneumatic valves, small motors, LED's, etc. without added relays. The lid of my coffin is operated with a pneumatic cylinder but you could use a stout electric solenoid to avoid going pneumatic. An electric solenoid would need an additional relay for the Prop-1 to operate it. The fog machine that is in my coffin was hacked to allow the Prop-1 to control it. I actually didn't need to hack the timer, I opened up the fog machine and added a relay into the circuit that operates the pump. The relay can only energize the pump when the heater is up to temperature, if the Prop-1 turns on the relay when the heater is not ready, nothing happens. So basically, controlling a fog machine like this is not reliable 100% of the time but it works quite well if you don't over work the fogger.
Oh that's all you did? Hehe. Waaaay beyond my scope of work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts