Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this prop originally started as a static build of a skeleton sitting in a cell chained to the wall. My original plan was to animate his head turning back and forth but then I decided to go big. He will start sitting, stand up and then sit back down. I have a FP parking wiper motor that will do the job for me once I get it wired up.

The motor box is repurposed from my mad scientist lab from about 7-8 years ago. It was sitting at the back of my pile of unused mechanical devices. Having that to start with helped get this done quickly. The lifting piston is an old PVC pneumatic piston built many years ago before I knew how dangerous they were. This was another piece of kit repurposed as it's been hanging on the wall of the workshop around 12 years. I cut the side open and attached the lifting arm to the piston. I had to add a spring to help lift the skeleton as there wasn't enough torque and the motor would stall. On the down movement the skeleton weight easily stretches the spring out.

Right now it's all bare in need of accessories but that will come soon. It's a front and back view for anyone interested in doing something similar.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Great job! I especially like that you just "threw it together with old parts"...because it sure doesn't look or act that way. Don't you love how rewarding this stuff is?!

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job. I like the idea of the spring to help with the lifting to reduce stress on the motor.
Yes, I almost gave up because the whole thing would bind up and stall. Then I looked up on the pegboard and saw the springs hanging there and said why not give it a try.

Great job! I especially like that you just "threw it together with old parts"...because it sure doesn't look or act that way. Don't you love how rewarding this stuff is?!
Yes that was my favorite part of the whole project, not building new stuff. I knew I did good when I showed Sally and my youngest daughter. They were both very impressed. Then the dogs came into the workshop and I scared the heck out of them. ;-)

That is WAY cool...I am just learning about animatronics, and this gives me a better understanding of the working components.. Thanks!
Yes we all had to start somewhere. My first attempts at animating props are ridiculous now when I look backward. I learned from those that came before me and posted their tutorials and videos. Hope this helps you someday.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nicely done. Good action on the rising and falling. That's a fair bit of weight for a straight lift, so no doubt the spring helped!

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I finally hooked up the controller, Halstaff's 2 button banger, and the FP parking wiper motor and things are looking good. I need to compose my audio track and accessorize then put it all in place and call it done. I'll post more video when finished. ☺

1 - 10 of 10 Posts