Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hacked an animated man-in-a-bag prop I bought at Michael's and transformed him into a full-sized animated spider victim. After a few days I won't be able to update this post so please check out my album tutorial for updates and lessons I've learned: Halloween Forum - Terra's Album: Tutorial: Animated Spider Victim

To see it in action and have me verbally explain how he works, check out the video here (sound up): Click link to watch

[video=youtube;lWnsrCEHWPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWnsrCEHWPc[/video]

You will need:

Blucky
Animated man-in-a-bag prop that Michael's sells
Cheesecloth
Webbing
Blanket batting
Wire or jute rope

Tools:
Glue gun
Scissors
Dremel with cutting tool

Cut off the bag off the mini-man so you can see all the mechanisms. You will see that he is originally designed to be hung from his feet. For this prop, you will hang him from his head.

Cut the back of the Blucky skull so you can insert the mini-man. Also, cut out the eyes and the lower jaw to allow the light and motion sensor to still be active inside the Blucky skull.

Glue the Blucky skull back together to hold it and the mini-man together.

Before this picture was taken, you would see that the mechanism that makes this prop work is a simple long spring that it attached to a swinging motor. Exactly like a pendulum. The key is to keep the movement as unhindered as possible.

Wire or rope a leg bone to the top of the spring. The rest of the spring will be inside the bone. Attach the bottom leg bone and foot.

You will need to cut away (I used the Dremel) the center of the rib cage and some of the lower ribs so you can attach the chest to the mechanism. Save the lower spine, you will need that later. I wired (or roped) wire going through the arm openings to the other side and back around to hold the mechanism in place.

As you see in the second picture, I went a little far in cutting out Blucky's back. Keep a section of his spine intact so the ribs don't buckle back into the mechanism. If you need to, glue in a piece a bone to keep the chest rigid. You will see red circles where I glued in the extra bone.

Check to be sure the pendulum can swing freely. Also be sure you've cut away enough of his spine that you can remove the battery cover.

Attach his arms and wrap some of that blanket batting around them. Glue the arms to the shoulder together so that the arms won't fall off and they also stay in place.

Hang him up from the string on top of Blucky's head. This will make your work much easier.

Now you will continue to make a 'cage' so that the mechanism can move freely. You've already done that by attaching the arms and chest but now you have to do the same for the front and back. Easily solved.

Grab the pelvis and cut away the front half but keep the hole where the spine attach's intact. Glue back in the spine (that you had cut away from the chest) to the pelvis. Test fit the pelvis assembly to the chest (where you will be gluing it) to be sure that it won't hinder the movement. Glue into place. I red circled where I glued the pelvis assembly to the chest.

For the front 'cage' I rigged the arms so they would extend out from the body.

This is a great shot to show where the pelvis is glued to the chest and how the arms are extending out.

Now drape on some cheesecloth. Be sure that you leave extra cheesecloth at the bottom because you will still be attaching his other leg and that will make him taller.

Now drape on some webbing. After the first pass, find gunk that you can put on it to show that this poor guy has been here a bit. I used sand, some leftover moss and the general dirt that's on my basement floor. Then do another wrapping of webbing.

Just before the last layer of webbing, attach his remaining leg to the cheesecloth where it is long enough to make your animated man life-sized. Then do your final wrap of webbing and loosely close up the bottom. I left his foot sticking out with just a little webbing covering it.

Throw on some more dirt and stuff. Turn him to the back and cut out an opening for the battery cover and you are done!

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow

I am new to haunting, although have always loved halloween. I have been focusing on my village but have started to progress to making props. After seeing all of your work as well as others here, I absolutely have something to aspire to. You are incredible both in your vision and execution. If I could do half of what you have done, I would consider it a great success. You definetly must have a PhD in halloween engineering. Your work is inspirational and just down right amazing. Thank you for you graciousness in sharing your talents with those of us who aspire to your greatness......
YOU ROCK........
Would you consider adopting a middle aged man with a family? My son is cute, sorry handsome (he old enough now to resent being called cute) and will do chores and my wife is incredibly tolerant and nice.......
Dan

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody. I do have a great time doing this. I'm finding I have developed this maniacal laugh as I imagine the terror I will soon put the ToTs through. It sounds something like this: MWAH HA HA HA HAaaaaa.....

PlainfieldDan: Sure, I'd love to adopt you and your family to become slaves in my evil lair!

....MWAH HA HA HAaaa......

LOL! (I do have too much fun doing all this) ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I put on my headphones when viewing your video. I was afraid my spider would see your fabulous arachnid resort and bolt for your place. Cool spider victim too, a scary thought being wrapped up like a burrito and waiting to be eaten. I was going to mention that your laugh at the end was leaning toward the maniacal but you noticed it first. Buwahahaha.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just did a quick Google search and couldn't find him either. Michael's carried it the last two years. They had two versions, a man in a burlap bag and a something else (mummy?). I hope they'll carry it again. Here's a picture I grabbed off the 'net last year of the one I got. The title on the picture is 'hanging bag zombie by Gemmy'.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts