Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I put my Cow board inside the skull. Cut some small notches in the back of the skull to run the cables out. If it's too crowded in there with the battery pack, use a 5VDC regulated power supply to save space - just run in the cable.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah, just put it in the skull. I made a little aluminum bracket to hold it away from other metal parts inside the skull. This also lets me pivot the board up and down for easy chip removal/replacement. There is a small stand off between the bracket and the board. You don't want to short anything out. Also glued some speakers in there and put a 9 volt with holder in there. Here are some pics for reference. Also, this is not a Bucky.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yep, the 9 volt is running the board. The speakers just run off of the battery, they are spliced and plugged into the board. If you look at the bottom right picture you can see the switch on/off. It just runs out where the neck connects. With the wires running down the back of the spine you can hook it up to motion sensor or what ever. Wow, that was a long sentence.

·
Registered
299 Posts
"That" is a completely self-contained 2 axis skull set-up I put together about 2 years ago. I wanted to build a completely free standing plug-n-play that didn't need a computer to run. There's a Prop-1, an ST100 Cowlacious board, an mp 3, 3 servos and about a dozen or so other odds and ends (triggers, led's, relays, etc) all of which tuck nicely under the skull's clavium. Here's a video of the completed project before I mounted it on a Bucky.
ImageShack - Hosting :: skullvideooy1.flv

Note: It wobbles like a bear in the video because it's only mounted on a mike stand, every time it moved, it rocked. Got much better when frame up on the Bucky.

·
crossfit zombie
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I was worried that it would damage something by putting in with servo.
I like the idea of putting everything in there scourge.Bradg896 your skull looks great.What motion detector is the best to use I want it to run around 2-3 minutes after activation.Enough time to play the song.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Scourge and Halloween71, thanks for the compliments (H71, sorry, wasn't trying to hijack your thread!). Mr Chicken, no, unfortunately I don't have any detailed pictures of the mechanism (didn't think anyone would be interest in a 2 axis setup!) but I can try to find the how-to's I used as source material if you are interested. Thanks again for the compliments! Now, H71, the trigger really depends on what exactly you are trying to trigger, skull motion, sound track or all the above. I use an X10 set up and trigger everything manually, saves playing THAT song in front of a bunch of 7 year-olds (don't need lawsuits from angry parents), besides, I prefer full control on my props, saves having them beat to death by kids repeatedly triggering the device.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
H71, I think what you need is a way to "dry trigger" the Cow board and then lock it out while the song plays. I don't know if the Cow board will initiate playback while it's trigger contacts are held shorted, or if it runs on a "make and break" trigger. If the former, a simple adjustable RC timer with a relay can be used. A 1M ohm pot can be used to set the time you need and prevent repeat triggers until the song is through playing. If the latter, you'll need a 2-stage timer - one timer to trigger a relay that starts the board, and another (adjustable) that locks out the circuit until the song finishes playing.
I have how-to's for both of these circuits - the RC timer version is triggered by a Quorum PIR directly, the 2-stage can be triggered by the PIR but will need a relay to prevent sending any voltage to the circuit. The Quorum PIR is on sale here:
SALE! Quorum A-160 Passive Infrared Detector-The Electronic Goldmine
Let me know if I can help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts