Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made these tentacles to go with my pirate ship. The actual tentacle is based loosely on a design by "Torgo". I loved his idea. So I took it and made a few changes so they would work better for my needs, and then used a shiatsu massager to animate them. I made four of them. There will be 2 on each side of my sunkin pirate ship. The video only shows 2 for my convenience. And I have seaweed that will cover the massager units during the actual display. Maybe after Halloween I will try to remember to post video of the whole prop in action.

Finished tentacle
DSCN5783a.jpg

Assembly of pool noodles
DSCN5763.jpg

Adding the latex over the nylon stocking

DSCN5780a.jpg

Video of prop in action

2015 update: I am adding more info as I am still getting requests for more info 3 yrs later. I thought I did a tutorial on this but cannot find it. To shape the tentacles I cut wedges in the noodle on the side in which I wanted them to bend. Bent the noodle until the wedge was closed and used masking tape to hold it in place.
To keep the tentacle on the shiatsu post I inserted a piece of PVC into the bottom of the noodle. It is about a foot long and the diameter is just slightly larger than the post. Installing the plumbers tape to hold the tentacles to the shiatsu is strictly trial and error.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JW that is freaken awesome way to cool nice work as always!
Those are excellent! The motion is great.
That's so cool! The movement is phenominal and really makes them look like they are attacking. Nominating this one for Mad Props!

Wow, you guys are too sweet. I am glad you like them. Terra, I have never been nominated for anything...may I have a little ribbon to wear around my neck? LOL. Thank you all so much.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
This really is a wonderfully creative idea and great use of the shiatsus... I LOVE this!
I can just imagine walking through there and seeing the tentacles flailing about... super cool! :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
That is reeeeallly cool. Ideally, you could have motors INSIDE the tentacle, allowing for more wiggling, but this is a brilliant beginning!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wow! That IS a pretty cool idea. You could be setting a new trend of alternate uses for massaging devices, just as was done with the now near essential windshield wiper motor.

Geo

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,361 Posts
Oh My Just Whisper!! This one deserves a SHOUT - not a whisper for sure!! Such a great use of parts and novel approach to EVERYTHING in your scene planning! If only I could find a few of those massagers here in the Nati thrift stores.... Great job all around. (And your other vids are equally helpful and very very cool. Luv how you are making your Frankie this year....)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Those are fan- freaking-tactic!!! Excellent motion and the finishing work on the tentacles is outstanding. I may have to try using those massager motors one of these days, as I have been a hard cord wiper motor enthusiast for the last 8 years! LOL

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was also thinking about the weight possibly wearing out the motor. You might want to put them on a trigger system (like say a PIcoBoo AC) so that they only run when guests are around and then only enough time to scare them.

Really good idea. If I had seen this a few months ago then I probably would have tried to do the same thing for my pirate haunt. Couldn't find a good underwater idea. Having two tentacles makes the movement really neat.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is reeeeallly cool. Ideally, you could have motors INSIDE the tentacle, allowing for more wiggling, but this is a brilliant beginning!
Thanks. If I could figure out how to get a motor in there that sounds like a great idea.

Wow! Those tentacles are outstanding!
Great movement, too. I'm surprised the shiatsu can handle the weight of them.

Congrats, Whisper, on another excellent animated prop!
I was also thinking about the weight possibly wearing out the motor. You might want to put them on a trigger system (like say a PIcoBoo AC) so that they only run when guests are around and then only enough time to scare them.

Really good idea. If I had seen this a few months ago then I probably would have tried to do the same thing for my pirate haunt. Couldn't find a good underwater idea. Having two tentacles makes the movement really neat.
Thanks Dave and Gus. The weight is not really a problem because they weigh next to nothing. Maybe a couple pounds at most. They will be on some sort of timer, just like my Frankenstein prop so, as you said, the motor will not burn out, hopefully. Like most new prop concepts, this will be trial and error. If it ends up being a static prop this year due to malfunction, no biggie.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts