Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been busy with Spider Hill stuff and finally got around to wrap up a project I took on for a customer. She asked me to make her 3 animated frames for a set of the Haunted Mansion hitchhiking ghosts. This is the first one. It will be the Hunchback (Traveler) when it is done. I am only supplying the frames/mechanicals. I will get some pictures of the finished props to share once they are completed by her.

This one is pretty self explanatory. In some aspects it is a little overbuilt, but it should run a long time. There is a metal rod running down through the arm supported by 2 bronze bearings to protect the PVC from wear. I made the mechanism from some custom machined parts of my design and some hand made parts as well.

I will be starting on the other 2 here shortly.
:)

IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You are very talented my friend ! Great looking prop. Can't wait to see all of them. I really like looking at the mechanisms. I'm starting to dig seeing how all these different movements can be made with some linkages and a motor. Wish I had your skills.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I do enjoy building these, but sometimes finding the time to devote to them is tough.

Mr. C, I do not know if my customer is a member of the forum, but she is sculpting all of the body parts for these props. I have seen some of what she has started and I'll be very interested to see what she ends up with. I am a total nuts and bolts guy, I wish a had an ounce of your sculpting talent to match. :) one day I'd like to take a crack at sculpting just to see how I'd do.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Ingenious mechanisms! I love how you get so many movements out of one motor.

Very professional looking!

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:) Wow, that is amazing! Are you guys going to sell these at Spider Hill? I definitely will be in the market for some of those next year.:D

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) Wow, that is amazing! Are you guys going to sell these at Spider Hill? I definitely will be in the market for some of those next year.:D
Right now these are going to be just one-offs for our customer. No plans on a kit just yet. We will see how the other 2 ghosts go. :)

Pennycash, thanks for the kind words. The mechanism in this guy is actually a modified version of our Watchman kit. I am a big fan of using the slotted arm setup for moving props. There is no chance of binding like using all linkage and the movement is nice and smooth. Using an all linkage setup can sometimes cause issues and a "fast return" will the prop will move faster as some points of the rotation. :D

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,

I was away from the shop for a week so I needed to play a bit of catch-up. I had finished these 2 props and shipped them off just before we left so I wanted to show off the rest of the set. My customer in Canada has them and has started the finishing process. I am looking forward to seeing the finished props. :D The Hatbox Ghost was pretty straight forward using 1 motor to get both movements. When I built the Prisoner, things got a little more tricky trying to get the side to side head movement from the same motor. I ended up fabricating a very loose linkage out of 2 eye bolts welded together. It turned out very well and the whole thing operates quite smoothly. there are brass bushings inserted in both waving arms and in the neck to prevent wear of the PVC.

D.

·
Registered
223 Posts
amazing work!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm dying with envy looking at these! I already maxed my card for my Halloween budget, so all my props will be static this year. I have the heads/masks and costumes for my caretaker and hitchhiking ghosts. But I will be re-using my kits that I bought from you last year!:D

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did these ever get finished? Would love to see them!
Thank you for posting. I never did hear back from her and reaching out to her was on my to-do list. After seeing your post I looked her up and sent an email out to her. I'll let you know what I find out. I too would love to see them finished. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great work again! I'm always interested in what you have brewing. Looking forward to seeing if you have any new kits coming out this year.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great work again! I'm always interested in what you have brewing. Looking forward to seeing if you have any new kits coming out this year.
Thanks. Yes, we have a couple of new things for this season. Will have our FCG kit available soon and I am working on a new animated kit that we will be releasing at MHC and then will go on the site after that. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts