Halloween Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this animated crow on thingiverse, Halloween Crow (Animated) by danman

This is the results of my build.

It didn’t find I could make it like the author did. It just didn’t come out well when I tried to print it in vase mode, so I printed it with my typical 3 walls and 4 top/bottom layers but 0% infill. It printed much better, but in itself did create other issues. Namely that the connector piece between the body and the tail wouldn’t fit.

I also didn’t like the instructions that came with it, so will give more detail here. I will be making another with some changes and will make my own thingiverse post with the mods.

I couldn’t figure out how the head and body were connected, I knew there was a gap, but couldn’t understand the actual connections. I cut an opening in the top section of the body for a mini servo, I did hot glue it in place. I generated a cross brace for the head that allowed a servo horn to fit it, which I hot glued in place. This left about a 1/2” gap between the head and body, which I hid with some feathers from Amazon. I also drilled holes in the head for LED eyes that were hot glued in place.

Since the tail connector didn’t work, I simply used some black duct tape to mount the tail to the body. It acts like a hinge and allows me to open it up to get to the electronics inside. I covered the tape up with more feathers.

Finally, I did modify his Arduino file as the code didn’t work as expected. He wanted to allow either 0, 1 or 2 blinks, but the code always blinked one easy time. Also the twitching code didn’t work.

I used 4xAA batteries to power the Arduino. The two LED eyes are connected to pin 12. The servo control wire connected to pin 9 and power and ground.

I want to improve the 3D print files to allow for eye holes in the head and to add a hinge between then tail and body. Finally I will add the mounting hole for the servo to the body.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Fluid

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Finger Water bottle

Circuit component Light Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Gas

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Computer hardware

1 - 2 of 2 Posts