Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, still some small tweaking to do on the mechanism, but I think the coffin prop is completed for this years festivities.

Animated Toe Pincher

Coffin made from 1/2" insulation foam. Motor = windshield wiper motor. Custom mechanism and paint job. Hope to have a ghoul/skeleton in the coffin "pushing" the lid open.

This along with my haunted Rocking Chair are the two new items for the house this year.

Still new to all of this, but having an awesome time building!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
The chair looks great! Can't see the coffin video - it says it's "private".

·
Registered
313 Posts

ya same here .......chair is really cool .....must be a quick and easy thing to do .maybe Ill do it ............the coffin vid is prvt though ..........but I can see in my head ...........lol

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Love both of the props! Is it really hard to work with a windshield wiper motor? I got a free rocking chair and would like to hook one up to one of the rockers.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Ah yes pneumatics, got to get to that one of these years...

The one thing I don't like about the WWM is the endless cycle. I know someone once posted a circuit that runs the WWM 1/2 rotation and then stops, waits a few seconds and then runs another 1/2 rotation to close.

I think that circuit design could be difficult.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
the coffin and chair look great. What are you going to do to disguize the motor in the coffin?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Ah yes pneumatics, got to get to that one of these years...

The one thing I don't like about the WWM is the endless cycle. I know someone once posted a circuit that runs the WWM 1/2 rotation and then stops, waits a few seconds and then runs another 1/2 rotation to close.

I think that circuit design could be difficult.
Not to hijack the thread, but the circuit board for controlling the wiper motor for 180° rotations is available from Simple Circuit Boards. I sent Jeff (owner) the design last year. Here's the effect:

Coffin with corpse video by Otaku1031 - Photobucket

I now return the thread to nibeck's excellent toe-pincher. Good work!

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but the circuit board for controlling the wiper motor for 180° rotations is available from Simple Circuit Boards. I sent Jeff (owner) the design last year. Here's the effect:

Coffin with corpse video by Otaku1031 - Photobucket

I now return the thread to nibeck's excellent toe-pincher. Good work!
My apologies for the hijack. The toe-pincher is awesome and the movement so so smooth.

As for the circuit board, can it be purchased from Simple Circuit Boards? How would the physical connection work (should I be asking this in another thread? sorry)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback on the coffin. I'm using the motor controller from MonsterGuts, but any "wall wart" style power supply should work. The motors are super easy to work with. Decent torque, and adjustable speed with the appropriate power supply.

There will be a skeleton or other ghoul in the coffin, and I will probably throw in some netting or other covering to cover the mechanism. I don't think it will be too visible with all of the smoke, etc.

Using foam for the coffin is great as it makes the final product very light. Certainly need to be a little careful to avoid major damage, but regular bumps and dings just add authenticity.

I'm always interested in more control mechanism ideas. This one took a but of trial and error to get it right, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with it.

_mike

·
Registered
156 Posts

That was awesome. nice and smooth. Now if the corpse popped forward with pneumatic style, it would scare some tots!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts