Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #1
I love the "Beloved" tombstones, but they are too large for my small graveyard.

I found a GREAT angel garden statue at Big Lots, and got the idea of putting her with a tombstone... and decided to make my own version of the Beloved stone, but with the garden statue instead of the almost full-sized figure...

Here is the statue in position with the stone I've just carved. I still need to carve a base (it's going to be two level stairstepped with the angel snugged into the base to look like one complete piece), but I think it's going to look really good!

If you can't read the smaller text it is this:

Tread softly, stranger
Our dreams
Lie buried here

It is from an authentic stone from a small cemetery in Kentucky - I found the place during my childhood rambles, and that stone's epitaph has stuck with me all these years... and I find it funny that my bizarre love of graveyards and stones has finally found an outlet!

I'm going to paint the stone up to match the creamy white color of the angel, and then put lichen green into the recessed areas - I like the idea of having a differently colored stone than the usual grey and the angel is quite marble-like without any paint at all...

Registered
That looks a lot like one I have seen somewhere in my life.was thinking it might have been one on each side with the stone between.

Registered
Looks super, FG.... I got the same Big Lots angel too, and can't wait to start working on her!! Your stone is awesome, I love the flow... it kinda leads your eyes straight to the angel!

Great work, keep us up to date with your progress!

Don't Drink and Fly!!
That is beautiful, FG!! It's going to look perfect. That epitaph is hauntingly sad, isn't it? Can't wait to see the finished product.

By the way I'm off to Big Lots TOMORROW!!! :D

Hauntless
Beautiful! I agree with Dixie, the flow of the stone is brilliant. I also like your idea of the marble colored stones. I'm imagining that the whiter color will make the cemetery seem ethereal and spooky.

Can't wait to see it all done.

Registered
Great job! I too struggle with the constraints of a small cemetary.Thanks so much for sharing.This is a great idea!

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow - I'm so flattered that you all like this! I'm light-years behind Terra's skills, but I keep plugging along!

Maybe those of us with small scale graveyards should form a catchall thread with appropriately-sized projects? I hate that I have so little room to work with, but the stuff I fall in love with just won't fit if I do the same scale - and I'm sure others have the same problem! (Tiny Tomb Adventures? I just can't stop thinking in puns! :D )

I just finished the preliminary sanding and painting the recessed areas and hit it with spray paint to add age spots. I have to let it dry, then I've got to caulk the edges (we don't get 2 inch foam in my area, so it's three .5" thicknesses glued together, and I've got to caulk over the joins so it looks less like a sandwich).

I'm a bit worried about getting the stone to match the angel's coloring, but I figure I can experiment till I get it close. I am not going to break down and just paint the angel gray... I swear!

Caretaker of Eerie Manor
Great job! I too struggle with the constraints of a small cemetary.Thanks so much for sharing.This is a great idea!
Maybe those of us with small scale graveyards should form a catchall thread with appropriately-sized projects? I hate that I have so little room to work with, but the stuff I fall in love with just won't fit if I do the same scale - and I'm sure others have the same problem! (Tiny Tomb Adventures? I just can't stop thinking in puns! :D )
QUOTE]

Count me among the small yard cemeteries. While I can't put a lot of stones in, you can make some very nice three dimensional stones that are appropriate for the scale of the scene. I've posted these last year but here is one I made using some inexpensive supplies. I'm in the process of making a few more and am purging some of my store bought flat stones. This one is a $10.00 crate from Michaels, skinned in 1 inch foam with a two inch top and bottom piece. I picked up a small cherub statue at Tuesday Morning for about $10.00 and added a wooden cross applique from Michaels. It turned out pretty decent.

I think a thread dedicated to smaller scale monuments/stones is a neat idea! Tiny Tomb Adventures rocks!

FG, your angel stone is going to be awesome! I posted in your original thread about this statue, that the angels like yours were all damaged at our Big Lots. I'm picking up the large cherub bust holding the book next week and have a plan for a nice monument using that piece. This is the earliest I've ever started a Hallowen prop but these monuments are fun and not too difficult once you get the plan in your head. I'll be following your progress. I was going to suggest tombstone challenge but Terra would kick our collectiuve asses! LOL!

Don't Drink and Fly!!
Tiny Tomb Adventures!!!

LMAO!!! FG, I always get the biggest kick out of your sense of humor!!!

:D:D:D

jdubbya: that is a FABULOUS looking piece. Excellent work!!

Registered
Yeah, I definitely agree, FG... keep posting the pics. I will be watching to see how the paint job comes out.

I did go ahead and buy one of the damaged ones, because the manager gave it to us for like $11 bucks or something like that, and I have decided I like the cracks, it makes her look even more dilapidated.

I'm just going to reinforce the cracks, so they dont crack more, and leave the holes as is.

Factorial!
I can't wait for your new pics.

jdubbya, your doing such a good job you could probably leave it out year round!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts