Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Kosh would say for you Bab 5 folks :D

I got a call from a neighbor and was accused (in a playful way) of jumping the gun for decorating.

I put up some lights around my door I had just purchased. Didn't plug them in yet and they were up last night and I only did it to see what they looked like.

Now I have 3 messages from playful neighbors proclaiming I have thrown down the gauntlet :D

I hope this leads to really neat displays this year!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome, neighborly competition much? I wish our street was a little more into the holiday. Not to say there aren't any houses that decorate nicely, but overall it could definitely be better. I always do something neat which is normally limited to my porch, but I always hate to see the houses where they really do it up and the rest of the street doesn't do much more than put a pumpkin out.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
That's cool that your neighbors get in on the fun. I'm the first on our street, and so far have only put out some purple lights on the bushes and hung our Halloween flag, but a neighbor was out last night and commented on how they were looking forward to seeing what we were doing this year. Only a few houses put up ANY kind of outdoor decor so I'm thinking this weekend I'll see some of them get started too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We actually started in the basement two weeks ago, but were worried about starting too soon outside. Then this weekend I noticed that both neighbors across the street already had "harvest" type decor out, and decided it wasn't too early after all. So I did the basket by my door, and I'll do the front picture window this weekend.

We wait until two weeks before Halloween (one week before our annual party) to do the yard. Hubby is worried stuff will disappear if we put up the cemetary before then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm in rural upstate ny and a handful of people have had their decorations out for about two weeks now. My rule is October 1 then I have at it. One thing that is real big here are those inflatable characters. I don't know about those yet, I'm still on the fence as to how I like them.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thats interesting . i wish i lived in a cool neighborhood . you guys all sorta compete huh? i bet xmas is like that too eh?
The Christmas wars as I call em are even more hotly contested. I stay out of those. we put stuff up but some folks go hog wild. I prefer to dominate Halloween in my neighborhood :D

*jumps on table armed with a spork*

Thats right! I said I'm the best in my neighborhood! Who wants a piece of me? :D :D

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
The Christmas wars as I call em are even more hotly contested. I stay out of those. we put stuff up but some folks go hog wild. I prefer to dominate Halloween in my neighborhood :D

*jumps on table armed with a spork*

Thats right! I said I'm the best in my neighborhood! Who wants a piece of me? :D :D
Thats the same attitude that I have... I need that on my signature line.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
It'd be exciting to have that kind of reception from neighbors, instead of being the king of the hill without trying.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I have been seeing cutesy things in peoples yards for a couple of weeks now,mostly plastic pumpkins. I wonder WHY they jump the gun that early and then not go all out???

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
Very cool neighbors.
Where I used to live, my neighbor
thought I was crazy for putting
any kind of Halloween decorations
up 2-3 weeks before Halloween.
This year, I've had most of my
decorations up now since mid-Sept. :D
Well, I do live in a condo; all decorations
inside, and only 1 string of candy corn (yellow and orange)
lights around the railing around the patio.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DOMINATION is the name of the game my bruthas!!

He with the most kiddie-poo-stains in front of their house WINS!!...kiddies are fun! - 'cept 2 year olds....those guys dont have a chance, so I'm a *little* nicer to them. Although...they keep coming back to get the FULL SCARE TREATMENT!! Last year a 3 year old REALLY got into it with me...it was cool "coaching" him on scare tactics...then he applied them to the next batch of 2/3 year old kids. It was SO cool!

anyways....Bring it on!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
LOL! I put my fence up last weekend ... and all my neighbors were like "What took you so long this year? We've been waiting." And I was going to wait until Oct. 1 (tomorrow!!! yay!) to complete the actual cemetary, but the neighbor next door peer-pressured me (yes, I'm 38) into getting it done this weekend. She said that the kids wanted to start going on their nightly "fieldtrips" past my house so I should get on the ball and get it done. ;)

Because I *really* need to be talked into putting my Halloween decorations out ... LOL! Of course when I saw that the guys down the block had finished their displays, that was my official green light.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It'd be exciting to have that kind of reception from neighbors, instead of being the king of the hill without trying.
No kidding.

Earlier this Summer I went to a yard sale in an extended part of the neighborhood. They had all baby stuff and asked what I was looking for. I shrugged and said mainly Halloween stuff. The ladies face lit up and she said "My husband builds Halloween props! We go all out!" so I've been excitedly hoping for some competition- but so far not even a pumpkin from them :confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
stranger- Expect it. Nothing there and then BLAMO! There's a 14' tall animated prop dripping blood and/or breathing fire, walking down the street right toward your house!!! With an invitation to THEIR halloween party! :eek: <at least that's how *I* would do it. ;)

note to self: find 14' tall blood-drippin' fire-breathin' willing to work for free.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
I am chomping at the bit to get started. Got to finish my Haunt sign in the next couple of days as I want it to be the first thing out and then build my giant spiderwebs! probably start on Friday as I work a half day every week

So don't worry Stranger. if you get to forlorn for competition just wander over to Arlington! I'll compete! :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm patiently waiting :) They're on my dog walking route so I'm keepin' my eye on them.

I think I'll turn the sprinkler on in my yard right now. That way I can put my fencing up in the darkness of night :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts