Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting up Day 1 before and after.

Going to be especially "fun" this year. Those of you that have known me a while, know that I have tendonitis in my hands, and driving the bamboo into the ground always causes me pain. Drought year, our secondary water has been turned off all month, and it's been a while since we've had rain, so the ground is HARD this year. I'm having to drive rebar with a post driver as a pilot hole just to keep from busting the bamboo it's so hard.

Not as much done as I may have liked, but it's a start.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I feel for you having hand problems. Have you considered buying a el'cheapo concrete bit from Harbor Freight and using a electric drill to bore out your holes ?

Looking forward to tomorrows pics :)

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel for you having hand problems. Have you considered buying a el'cheapo concrete bit from Harbor Freight and using a electric drill to bore out your holes ?

Looking forward to tomorrows pics :)

Thanks for the idea. I'll see what the local store has, but it might be worth the drive down to the nearest Harbor Freight anyway.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Yeah, we have used a long concrete drill bit before to make holes when the ground is too hard. It helps a lot! (This year we forgot to charge the drill, so we had to struggle with the posts, lol. I used a watering can full of hot water from in the house to help soften the ground where the posts were.)

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Had obligations this morning, and kids' parties this afternoon/evening, so not much done today.

Blatantly ripping off the cornstalk walls from jdubbya only slight modification on how I'm doing them as opposed to him. Only about half up right now, but loving the tunnel vision they make right to the barghest.

Talia and Alec getting ready for the parties. Lots of comments on Alec's makeup as I blatantly skirt the 'no blood' policies.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh heh - Glad I could be of help.

I really dig the boardwalk you do - are the planks on a 2x4 frame or similar ?
Yeah, the planks are fences that blew over around the neighborhood a couple years back in a terrible windstorm. They're bolted down to 2x4 sleds that dovetail together.

Stole the idea from TK421, and based the design on his, though mine sits a little taller, by design.

I think this is the best pic I have of them, in the background here.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
all the people using cornstalks are really making me want to grow corn next year or steal some from my moms family farm that her and her siblings are in charge of.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, the second party is that word that spawns loathing in many here. "Trunk or Treat".

However, I was rather outspoken about the whole treating it as an "alternative" last year, and they actually moved it specifically to NOT interfere with either Halloween OR my party, and combined it with a chili cookoff, turning it into more of just another party, so I figured that at least merited my attending. However, it was mass chaos. Not many pics, as a result. TONS of people come, more than they had planned on (based on past year's turnouts), many appreciating the move away from the holiday.

Our trunk, Talia dancing to "Dead Man's Party" blaring out of it.

·
Reaper Queen
8,569 Posts
everything is looking great, love the corn stalks,,, and the big creep prop, can't wait to see what else you come up with,,, '

alot of churches in our town also have the trunk or treat over the week end so it does not conflict with Halloween,, about time!!!!

·
that dude ain't right
615 Posts
Digging that front yard. Might do something similar in the future. Guess I'll have to give up guitar. After seeing those two, looks like you can't live on tips.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So....Day 3...

YESTERDAY, the forecast for Monday was rain snow, and 10 mph wind. That's doable easy enough...

NOW, that forecast is for 29mph wind. Yeah....

So, here is the corn tunnel. Quite possibly seen for the last time...

Mini lighing test, sorry, no tripod. It LOOKS nice and dark, but it's quite manageable once you step down into it. There is absolutely NO way I would have EVER gone into that as a kid.

The rest the day was spend hanging stuff into the trees.

Still got tons of candles in glass jars to hang, but figured it's best to wait to do those till after the wind.

Oh, and that little minor task of moving those 100+ pumpkins into the garage so I can clean them out during this storm.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts