1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i remember your fly room Wolfman , that must of been something else and something else to clean and get rid of all those flies :( i remember you saying you couldnt even open your mouth going trought the room ;) (yummy lol)

no way in hell would i want to be caught in a room full of those .

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
wow wolfman, a fly room? Any pics? At six flags we had a bug room. There was flies and spiders and ants and other creepy crawlys all over the walss and ceiling (fake of course) the theme was a cafateria in a shoopin mall, so we had a glass case (like the ones you see at the food market that display meat) that was filled with live madagascar hissing roaches. It was GROSS!! the things were huge. Lucky for me I never had to feed them of clean thier tanks :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the story on the "Fly Room" -

C'mon, now, 'fess up. Anybody who's been doing this for awhile has made some major blunder, either with a prop or a scenario that they regretted.

For me, it was our "Beelzebub Room".

I hooked up with a guy who raised Blow Flies and Blue Bottles for live bait, the Pet Trade and for Horticulturalists who needed pollinating insects in Greenhouses. He was areal afficionado, had it down to a Science. Three days before the Big Event, he gave me five trays containing around to 2,500 pupating larvae. We were to turn on the Heat Lamps 24 hours before we wanted them to hatch. Well, idiot that I am, I kept them in the Furnace Room. Yep, they hatched early, about 8:00 PM on the 30th. The buzzing was freakish and kept the kids awake, they spent that night at friends' houses. And then there was the smell. These things need to eat, if they don't, they die like, well, Flies. Of course they feed on decaying flesh and fecal matter. Oh, the wife was CRAZY about that.

So just before the Big Event we released them into the "Lord of the Flies" Room. Beelzebub was a 7' tall animatronic puppet that turned his head and lunged forward. The flies looked awesome, iridescent bodies under Black Lighting. The air was thick with them. Too thick. I had prepared a 20 second spiel about how Beelzebub had "risen up from the Underworld to reunite the Philistines". Yeah, right. You couldn't even open your mouth, the flies went straight down your throat. They went for your eyes, your ears, your crotch, it was almost unbearable. The guys from the TV Crews flat refused to go inside.
Because the flies were so bad, we ended up running right through Beelzebub's Room, from the Werewolf Cage right through into the Mad Scientist's Lab. Even moving straight through we had kids, teenaged girls screaming and crying, hysterical, breaking right down. Parents were cursing. To make matter worse, the fool who gave me the flies had mistakenly given me a tray of Deer Flies, and boy, could they bite!
My "Air Locks", doubled Curtains at either end of the Room, couldn't contain the flies. A big horde would escape with each group going through. By 10:30, we were down to about 300 listless flies, the rest were either dead on the floor or buzzing around the basement. That night we left all the basement doors and windows open, and made a run down to 7-11 for six cans of "Raid". The next morning was Garbage Day. I met our neighbor, Old Bob, taking out the trash. He said that his trash cans had been just COVERED with flies, he'd never seen anything like it.

Yeppers, never again.

Insects, it would seem, would work really well in a Haunted House. But aside from using the real thing (Never again) how could you make them "come to life?" We once did a test run of a girl dressed in white covered with spiders. We used a strobe, but it still wasn't impressive enough to use.

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
OMG!! thats amazing! I'm sure the whole event was absolute chaos though!! I think that was one of the greatest stories i have read on here! HAHA!! :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
"Blue Sky" thoughts

Wolfman said: "Insects, it would seem, would work really well in a Haunted House. But aside from using the real thing (Never again) how could you make them "come to life?""

Hmm, I'm not really sure about the practicality of it, but what about suspending plastic flies and bugs from fishing-line attached to the ceiling? I would imagine using the glow-in-the-dark plastic flies under blacklight would look interesting, and a powerful fan directed up at the strings (not at your guests) would at least give some sort of movement. Just a thought.

Other potential ideas (which, again, may be decidedly low on practicality, but I'm just throwing stuff out there that might give someone else a better idea, which I do a lot):

>a suspended spinning wheel in the ceiling from which plastic insects dangle, lit by strobe and/or blacklight - though the non-organic, predictable circling pattern may detract from the effect. Hopefully the strobe would hide the circular motion of the bugs.

>walls with multiple spinning "wheel 'o bugs," where the creepy-crawlers are glued directly to the wheels. Distribute more bugs in between wheels and light with strobe.

>Plastic bugs on billowing plastic sheets that undulate courtesy of multiple fans behind them. Black insects on white (or clear) plastic or Glow-bugs on black plastic lit with blacklight. Insect stickers on the plastic sheets or even cloth with an insect pattern are alternatives.

>Something like the bug room but where guests are separated from the flies by a transparent walk-through tunnel of rigid (or even thick flexible) plastic. You would want it to have a good seal, though, to prevent that previous Beelzebub-room experience. Maybe, if you use a sturdy flexible plastic sheeting as the separator, it would add a claustrophobic feeling if guests have to push their way through a completely non-rigid, structureless tube. However, I can imagine all sorts of potential problems with this idea, especially depending on the venue type. I can imagine someone bringing in a knife and cutting the tube. I also don't think it would be at all friendly to those who have limited mobility - I can't imagine how I would have dealt with that sort of situation when I was on crutches a year and a half ago, and I can see individuals in wheelchairs having a very tough time of it. But, again, just a thought (which I'm afraid I'll probably end up doing a lot on this forum:eek:).

It's a pity that didn't work out. The sensation of being swarmed by flies would be so unsettling, and while I think it would be possible to get the look of a swarm, the actual chaos and physical experience is something that would be very difficult to accurately recreate. Not sure what your haunt building is like, either (sorry, brand new to the forum and haven't come across your previous mentions of this experience), so these suggestions could be entirely unrealistic. Honestly, I can't think of a lot of places in which you could suspend a giant spinning "wheel o' bugs" from the ceiling or even have mounted on the walls :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
That retelling's too funny, Wolfman:p I'm sure it wasn't amusing living through the experience, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts