Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me an easy way to make a Zombie Prop. I am having a Halloween Party for disabled adults and about 20 friends and family. I can not find an easy way to make a zombie prop! I want to make several walking out of the woods in my yard. I don't want to spend a gazillion dollars, just looking for a cheap way to make a stand-up prop. I have several zombie heads to place on top, but just can't seem to get the body right. Thanks!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
PVC skeleton/armature frames, either on platforms, or staked into the ground. Then a goodwill trip for some cheap clothing, gloves. make dirty, cut up, a little bloody. Blow torch (with water on hand) does a nice job of it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
What Therewolf said. Here is just one of many quick tutorials to build one.

You can either glue the joints together with PVC glue or you can run screws through the connectors and the pipes. I prefer to use either #6 or #8 machine screws and some washers and nuts to secure my joints so that I can take everything apart for easier storage.

Once you have dressed your PVC mannequin you can fill out the body with polyfill, or old pillows, or newspaper (if no chance of rain) or plastic bags. If you have them or can still find them you can also use pool noodles to bulk up the arms and shoulder areas. If you can't find pool noodles you can use foam pipe insulation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My neighbor has built them in an unconventional way that works if you aren't picky about being able to position limbs, etc.

She takes a green U shaped fencing stake and pounds that into the ground. Then she takes a piece of electrical pvc conduit about shoulder width and screws that to the green stake, making a small cross. She puts a tshirt on the cross (crew neck, or a turtleneck is even better) and a button up shirt over that. She mounts the head on the fence post.

For pants, she often lets the legs dangle in the wind with no shoes. But sometimes she will safety pin or staple shoes to the pant legs for weight. The waist of the pants is usually attached to the tshirt/turtleneck, or she will add another cross piece to the metal fence post to attach the pants to.

If you want the body to have some fullness to it, bubble wrap or air pillows are cheap and reusable.

Downsides to this are limited posability, need to make a big enough hole in the styro head for the pipe. But they do move in the wind nicely.

Alternatively, look at mannequin forms. The ones made to be used as a hanger can be inexpensive. I bought 3 for $9 each 3 yrs ago (tho Amazon prices are crazy high on them now). Sometimes you can find them on Craigstlist, too. They are nice to work with because they get the angle right from the shoulder to the neck, and they have good shaping in the chest.

Good luck! Making them from PVC is doable and I made 7 that way, but the "fence post plus cross bar" method is faster. If you have a Goodwill outlet nearby that would be good place for clothing, they sell unwanted stuff by the pound.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
What Therewolf said. Here is just one of many quick tutorials to build one.

You can either glue the joints together with PVC glue or you can run screws through the connectors and the pipes. I prefer to use either #6 or #8 machine screws and some washers and nuts to secure my joints so that I can take everything apart for easier storage.

Once you have dressed your PVC mannequin you can fill out the body with polyfill, or old pillows, or newspaper (if no chance of rain) or plastic bags. If you have them or can still find them you can also use pool noodles to bulk up the arms and shoulder areas. If you can't find pool noodles you can use foam pipe insulation.
POOL NOODLES! Great idea for adding lightweight, waterproof bulk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts