Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Thought I'd share this site I came across where the creator is using stepper motors for linear action. This might be a good alternative to using the wiper motor or even pneumatics. I know my compressor can barely keep up and I hate having to run air lines everywhere.

http://makermuscle.com/

Here's a vid of an opening/closing of some wings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Big disadvantage is Price 3 or 4 times higher then regular cylinder and they CAN NOT run continues, must have cool down period 50/50 or sometime 30/70.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,442 Posts
In it's simplest form ,what appears to b a dc grearmotor ,how do you limit e range so it doesn't stall or burn h motor up.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Most linear actuators have a built in microswitch that turns the motor off once it reaches its maximum extended and retracted stroke. Some even come with an adjustment screw to fine tune the stroke to the desired length. Others have position sensors in them as well, similar to a stepper motor that can be programmed to only travel to a set point. The biggest issue with linear actuators as Dmitriy stated is that these actuators need to have a cool down period so you cant run then continuously or they will burn out the motor. not to mention the cost which is considerable more compared to other motors.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,442 Posts
Most linear actuators have a built in microswitch that turns the motor off once it reaches its maximum extended and retracted stroke. Some even come with an adjustment screw to fine tune the stroke to the desired length. Others have position sensors in them as well, similar to a stepper motor that can be programmed to only travel to a set point. The biggest issue with linear actuators as Dmitriy stated is that these actuators need to have a cool down period so you cant run then continuously or they will burn out the motor. not to mention the cost which is considerable more compared to other motors.[/QU

That as my point, it appears to be lacking any microswitch to prevent overtravel. It is a good idea as far as the concept goes. I couldn't find any pricing on this particular unit but as has been stated they are usually pretty pricey.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,442 Posts
The price isn't too bad for an electric actuator. As you said WBN, wonder about the motor plus torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts