Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and i just got hime from rye playland... home of the world famous dragon coaster.... and we went through the two dark rides and where really upset that these things cant even be original. I mean your ride said zombie Castle and you have pinhead in their saying yumm yumm... really! And then you have vincent prices laughter ad you hit the door to exit. Also its not scarry when all you do on one ride is travel down dark halways most of the ride and agin take audio from movies and the worse props i have ever seen. People ride these rides to be scared cause they want to be. Sorry for the rant but i know you all understand where i am coming from.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Unfortunately, my first love dark ride has been gone for several years. It was never particularly scary, though there was a one-on-one, right round a corner encounter with the front end of a city bus that always made me jump. Lights, horn, heart attack - every time. At least it lives on in pictures and video. (Here and here if you're interested.)

Phantasmagoria was one of several "whacky shack" rides, and there's still at least one out there in operation. Can't imagine it full of cheesy slasher flick guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That ride looks fun deff not like the one i was on. It is verry hard to find a well done dark ride. Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My favorite dark ride has also been out of commission for quite a few years now. a local group is trying to raise money to restore the historic amusement park. Just thinking about it makes me kind of sad :(

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My favorite dark ride is Monster Plantation, at Six Flags over Georgia. http://youtu.be/Svo5YQZGTkc
In 2007, they revamped it as Monster Mansion. http://youtu.be/LchYvRYjHMI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Years back Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh had two of the greatest oldschool dark rides in the US. A boat ride called The Old Mill and a track ride called The Gold Rusher. Sadly both have been replaced with more modern and, evidently, less interesting rides that still use the same buildings but just feel soulless by comparison.

But, they still have Noahs Ark, the last original one in the US. It's all walking, and although it has received little renovations over the years, including an elevator ride that doesn't actually go anywhere, and a scene at the end where you feel like you are actually in a sinking submarine, with water literally spraying out of the walls as they buckle and close in on you, the ride itself still has the same classic feel.
http://www.themeparkcritic.com/Uploads/2108/Kennywood 057 copy.jpg

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ah, one more good dark ride is Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City (yeah, it's in Branson and yes, there are usually lots of the sort of people I should be mentioning in the "Halloween is the Devil's Birthday" thread) but FitH is pretty awesome. Kind of a combination of roller coaster and dark ride, faster than most with some steep drops. Nice fake-out bridge drop, splashdown at the end, and some scenes in the beginning where the Bald Knobbers are robbing the town - including a guy on a ladder, half out the window of a burning building, with his wife yelling at him to come back in a put on some pants.

Seems like lots of the good dark rides are older, and that stuff like this isn't getting built anymore. :/

F

·
0 Posts
I have never really seen a dark ride until a few years ago at a local water park. Its a water slide called Dr Von Dark or something like that. Depending on the way you turn, supposedly there are light up stuff in there. But it seems no matter which way I turned, as soon I started down the slide I would end up circling around to where I saw nothing, haha!

F

·
0 Posts
Side note: Talking about amusement parks makes me want to go ride a roller coast really bad!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the videos guys i am deff watching them over and over... and i want to go on a coaster also!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Its still the Haunted Mansion at Disney World, it has held my imagination since I was a small child. I also love the Haunted Mansion at Funland at Rehoboth Beach in DE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts